Weight Loss And Growth Spurts

Bjelkier

I have been slightly concerned with my samoyed pup the last few days and I am not sure exactly what is going on.

Mistral is about 11 weeks old now and is very very active when he is awake, always full of energy and playing very happily. But he has started losing weight, he seems to be too thin, I can feel his hips and spine, ribs have a little covering of fat but can still be felt very easily. He is defiantly growing (he has real trouble getting under our Lab now, where as last week he could zoom around under him with ease) and has no problems drinking and has a few issues with his dry food but I am slowly changing it over to freash meats and pastas which he seems to like a lot he also gets puppy milk as a treat.

Is it normal for a puppy to drop weight at this age?

scrape the puppy milk.Yoour pup doesnt need it at this age.

If your pup isnt eating well weight loss will happen very quickly.

You dont want them over weight but growing pups do need there fuel to grow.

Did you continue with the breeders diet or did you change it??

scrape the puppy milk.Yoour pup doesnt need it at this age.

If your pup isnt eating well weight loss will happen very quickly.

You dont want them over weight but growing pups do need there fuel to grow.

Did you continue with the breeders diet or did you change it??

I have him on exactly what the breeder suggested. But he really seems to hate what the breeder had him on, I was told to give him puppy milk and weet bix for breakfast and then for the other three meals supercoat and advanced mixed with raw meat. He will pick at the kibble but will only eat the meat and he really dosnt like the weet bix breakfast.

Guest Tess32

I'd change the diet to either a better quality kibble, kibble + raw diet or a full raw diet.

odd diet for a large breed & growing pup.

Wheatbix has no value at all.

We feed dry plus raw

Me too, but I don't agree with cutting out the puppy milk, the calcium is terrific for his growing bones.

I can persuade my little guy to be a bit more interested in the puppy kibble by mixing in a tin of sardines with it. He can't pick out the fish separately and the flavour goes all through.

A good quality diet should have a complete balance of everything the pup needs to grow.

Myabe try putting a bit of warm water in with his dry so it makes a gravy of sorts to temp him

Sammy's can be notoriously fussy. Try him on some Chicken necks or chicken frames chopped in thirds, this will keep him occupied and it's nutritious.

A puppy does need some weight on their bones with out being fat as they use all that food to help them grow. Are his poos runny or normal have you ruled out any other reason why he might be off his food.

Advance kibble is fine, we brought up our Sammy and other large breed dogs on this product with no problems. ( go for the large breed variety)

Sardines was a great suggestion made early and would also be good for his coat, other things to try would be eggs and a little cheese just don't go overboard with either. Introducing these new flavours into his diet may encourage him to eat a little more.

He is a puppy so he will get hungry.

There is nothing wrong with a bit of weetbix and puppy milk ( even even try some goats milk) as a treat. Being at 11 weeks now he will soon no longer require that 3rd meal anyway. You could continue with the weetbix and puppy milk only as the extra meal not a main meal.

Does he seem to prefer the weetbix and milk as opposed to the kibble and mince?

If he is, it might be leaving him feel very full, I know myself when I eat that for breakfast it certainly leaves me feeling quite full, so come luch time he really probably doesn't feel like eating anything else. Just make sure you are giving him a good kibble and mince meal for breakfast so he fills up on the right stuff rather than the other stuff that he is receiving no valuable nutrition from.

Sammy's can be notoriously fussy. Try him on some Chicken necks or chicken frames chopped in thirds, this will keep him occupied and it's nutritious.

A puppy does need some weight on their bones with out being fat as they use all that food to help them grow. Are his poos runny or normal have you ruled out any other reason why he might be off his food.

Advance kibble is fine, we brought up our Sammy and other large breed dogs on this product with no problems. ( go for the large breed variety)

Sardines was a great suggestion made early and would also be good for his coat, other things to try would be eggs and a little cheese just don't go overboard with either. Introducing these new flavours into his diet may encourage him to eat a little more.

He is a puppy so he will get hungry.

There is nothing wrong with a bit of weetbix and puppy milk ( even even try some goats milk) as a treat. Being at 11 weeks now he will soon no longer require that 3rd meal anyway. You could continue with the weetbix and puppy milk only as the extra meal not a main meal.

Does he seem to prefer the weetbix and milk as opposed to the kibble and mince?

If he is, it might be leaving him feel very full, I know myself when I eat that for breakfast it certainly leaves me feeling quite full, so come luch time he really probably doesn't feel like eating anything else. Just make sure you are giving him a good kibble and mince meal for breakfast so he fills up on the right stuff rather than the other stuff that he is receiving no valuable nutrition from.

His poos are healthy and he seems to be very active and happy, just a little on the thin side. And no he really does not like the weet bix at all, he will try to drink the milk as quickly as he can before it soaks up into the weet bix.

I tried the sardines and he just loves that, and cheese is a big hit so far. :clap:

Their is everything wrong with wheet bix and milk for a growing pup.

The pup needs a balanced diet not pap.

Try giving chicken necks or frames and top quality dry dog food.

As soon as the pup comes back to a good weight maintain that amount till it's obvious the pup will require more.

The pup would not receive milk from his mother at this age.

Your pup may have an intolerance for the food you are using. Change it's diet slowly by mixing some of the new with the old so it does not upset it's stomach or the pup may lose more weight.