Puppy Training Question

monkeymoose

Hi Again!

Got another quick question. Bailey our puppy is a jumper. When we get home or when people come around he jumps up at people. He actually leaves the ground because he is so excited. Whilst it is nice he is sooo excited to see us when we get home from work, it is a bad habit he has formed as he can jump quite high.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to curb this behaviour?

Thanks!

Does Bailey sit on command? Will he stay?

I have used the sit stay method with one of our girls to great success but with her sister she is just so excited we are still working on it.

Teach Bailey to sit and stay, give him a bed or spot in the lounge room or family room etc (if he is an indoor dog). When you have visitors you send him to his bed in that room and tell him to stay. The visitors should virtually ignore his presence while he is being controlled in the stay. Eventually he will get used to the people being in the room and will calm down. Once he has calmed down you can release him and he will learn to greet your visitors in a calmer manner.

Of course there a heaps of professional trianers that visit DOL and maybe able to give you some better advice.

Hi Again!

Got another quick question. Bailey our puppy is a jumper. When we get home or when people come around he jumps up at people. He actually leaves the ground because he is so excited. Whilst it is nice he is sooo excited to see us when we get home from work, it is a bad habit he has formed as he can jump quite high.

Thanks!

Hi Monkeymoose!

You don't say how old your pup is? We have Noodle (nearly 6 months) always on a lead when we have visitors or out and about and tell them that she MUST have four paws on the ground if she wants a pat. They have to step back and not let her touch them the minute those front paws leave the ground. In the morning Noodle is also on a lead as she is terrible excited to see the children and like you I don't want them or other people to be bowled over by her exuberance. The lead means you can also reinforce good behaviour with treats and then ween the pup off to pats. It is as much training for other people as our pups I think.

More often than not now Noodle will sit and then drop and even roll over on her back to get some attention that she so desperately wants. When I let her in when I get home from work she has to sit at the back door before I let her through and encourage calmness by giving her long strokes to try and calm her down. Sometimes if she is really excited I will have a few games of fetch in the back yard to take the edge off her before she comes inside or has to be social with others....more possibility of a slightly calmer, albeit crazy pup! :)

The very first commands we taught our pups was 'sit' and 'wait'. We make them sit and wait before meals, entering through door ways, to receive treat and toys. They are given the 'ok' command to indicate they may eat and enter through doorway. All this is taught on lead until they understand what the commands mean and are compliant. Once they know the 'sit' we then taught them that they must sit when meeting people (done on lead intitialy) We ask them to sit and put them in to the sit if they do not comply. We also request that when people are meeting the pups that they do not speak or pat them until they are sitting. (this is often one of the hardest things to get people to do) We explain that we are training our pup and appreciate their help in not patting them until they are sitting. Important to be consistent and praise them (food/pats/verbal praise) for doing a good job. Good Luck.

How the !@#$ do you control other people and especially children from ooohing and aaahing and praising and patting and getting him all excited every time he jumps on them in greeting.

It's tough to to prevent other people from doing bad things. It's a socially awkward moment.

I've started standing on his lead to prevent him from jumping up when it's possible to do so.

My puppy sits on command but not when he's super-excited to be meeting a new person and they are encouraging him to jump.

He'll get there eventually I suppose.

How the !@#$ do you control other people and especially children from ooohing and aaahing and praising and patting and getting him all excited every time he jumps on them in greeting.

It's tough to to prevent other people from doing bad things. It's a socially awkward moment.

I've started standing on his lead to prevent him from jumping up when it's possible to do so.

My puppy sits on command but not when he's super-excited to be meeting a new person and they are encouraging him to jump.

Oh yep - been through that with my Dally :D I quickly learned the attitude "stuff the socially awkward moment" and do what's right for my relationship with the pup. That goes for meeting kids/people on a walk or in our house. I have no problem with educating adults or their kids on the right way to firstly ask if they can pat him then do so appropriately. Being assertive gets easier :laugh:

Oh yep - been through that with my Dally :D I quickly learned the attitude "stuff the socially awkward moment" and do what's right for my relationship with the pup. That goes for meeting kids/people on a walk or in our house. I have no problem with educating adults or their kids on the right way to firstly ask if they can pat him then do so appropriately. Being assertive gets easier :laugh:

hehe - yeah - I've got to be more assertive.

When I said "He'll get there eventually" - I should have said "I'll get there eventually"

Yeah i'll give some of those ideas a go.

He just gets so excited. We tried it tonight when i got home from work. He found it hard to sit still but i guess if we are patient and practise every day we'll eventually get there...........eventually. :D

p.s. Bailey is 8 months young.

How the !@#$! Luke I agree totaly, it is a very awkward moment. It takes a thick skin and a decision that your pups training is more important than some stranger (or perhaps friend) feelings at being told how to behave while you try and train your pup. I've taken the attidue that if you don't like it p...off (I don't actually say that....yet ) however, I refuse to have an obnoxious pup because some obnoxious person doesn't care that their ignorance at what I am trying to achieve becomes me having a problem pup. I have to say most people when you explain what you are trying to achieve have been very understanding. I have found that if you explain that you do not want your now 6kg? pup to jump and bowl over their 'beautiful' :laugh: children when they are 30kg and that I appreciate their help in teaching my pup to learn that they cannot jump up etc etc....

Make sure your pup knows they wont get pats until they are sitting...

Our pup although terribly excited will sit but her bum moves all over the place, its quite funny to watch. She will sit and we keep our hands behind our back and pat her when she is still and sitting.

There are a couple of friends who she goes NUTS over but she will still sit eventually for a pat..

If she jumps we have asked our guests to lift their knee to stop her jumping on them and to turn around and ignore her until she calms down.. works a treat..

Goodluck!

We were told to ignore our puppy when we first get home and wait until she's calm and then get down and pat her.

Great advice, sure but we were just as excited to see her as she was us.

It's hard.

Eventually, as your pup gets older, he won't even bother getting up unless you have food, so I say, enjoy it while he still does it. Ha ha!!

The lead is very useful and just explain to people that you don't want him jumping on you or them and to teach him that they can't pat him until he is calm.

I have a 2 year old who tends to launch herself at people quite unexpectedly and I took her to a bbq on the weekend where there were maybe 20-30 people and many who wanted to pat her. I told every single person that she could only get pats if she was sitting and calm and guess what she was sooo well behaved all night!

When my girl was young I used to take her out to parks etc where there were plenty of people and just ask anyone who wanted to pat her to ignore her because I was training her to not get so excited around people. I know it sounds a little rude but I'd rather offend a few people then instead of heaps of people later when she's completely unmanageable and jumps all over everyone!

It may be sociallly awkward at the moment but it pays off when the dog is older and is well behaved.

Hi Again!

Thanks!

hi monkeymoose

kaisers 8 mo and has just discovered he can jump.

and if vocalisation doesnt work,which thank doG it does for kaiser,

i know it can sound bad and some people dont like it but lift up your knee so thier chest bangs into it.

ive never tried this one but some one told me to grab thier paws and squeeze them gently, personally i dont like this one.

hope that helps.

Jess

Eventually, as your pup gets older, he won't even bother getting up unless you have food, so I say, enjoy it while he still does it. Ha ha!!

Pennyw74, this is very dangerous advice to be giving to people. I see dogs who are 6 and 7 years old who are still jumping uncontrollably, some who have knocked over young children in the process. Dogs do NOT grow out of bad behaviour, it ony becomes more in grained.

Monkeymoose, completely stop the "party time" antics whenever you come home, same goes for your guests. Say and do nothing and wait for your dog to calm down, then call him over ask him to sit and reward/say hello. The more you do this, the quicker the dog calms down and the quicker you are able to say hello. A little bit of hard work and persistence will pay off. No need for leads, commands and painful knees to the chest, this is very natural training and teaches the dog to think for itself.

I have 4 dogs at home...can you imagine what it would be like if my dogs jumped on me or my guests each time. No thanks!

Edited by Kelpie-i