Remember The Eyes In Amityville Horror

that's basically what I get everytime I time a photo of my black poodle.

amityvilleeyes.jpg

My photography skills suk at the best of times but one can at least see the object in question.

With my dog, not one photo is any good.

Would anyone have any simply tricks for me to try.

My camera is not too bad, it's sony cybershot. It's just me.

I have quite a few of those taken with a sony cybershot as well :laugh:

It seems to happen when you use the flash or auto flash with some dogs eyes. It always happens with the dog below whose eyes glow red in reflected light but not with my other two whose eyes glow blue/green. Have you got the camera set up so that you get the red marker light shining on the subject for the flash? You need to make sure that this is hitting slightly to one side not onto the dogs face and I find this helps.

DSC00557-1.jpg

Wouldn't it be good if a simple red-eye-removal feature on the computer worked with animals' eyes as well as humans. But it doesn't. The only way to fix it with animals is a longer process in Photoshop or the like.

Maybe turn off the flash and increase the ISO for daylight shots.

Unless you have a professional camera (ie the flash unit is away from the lens not right next t it like on a point and shoot) you will get the red eye reflection (its actually the light reflecting off the back of their eye) with flash photos.

But with black dogs you do have to be careful as even in sunlight they will tend to look dark. Best time of day is earlier in the morning or later in the afternoon when the light is more side on not overhead and make sure the sun is coming from directly behind you.

With SLRs you can also over expose a little which helps as does teh highlights and shodows control in photoshop.

Paint Shop Pro has built in red-eye removal tools for animals' eyes... maybe there is a PhotoShop filter that you can get to do the same?

Basically, a standard point and shoot digital camera is not going to give great indoor or low light shots - especially if it's megapixel rating is on the high side - too many pixels crammed into a very small sensor causes all sorts of issues... grrr!

Best bet is to try taking photos of your sweetie outdoors in good sunlight.

T.