Itchy Pup

My 12 week old Samoyed is scratching his sides a lot recently and I am wondering why.

I have looked for any kind of skin irritation and it all looks normal, no redness, no bites, no flea dirt, no ticks, no hot spots and no hair loss. It started last Sunday when he was wearing his harness on a car trip and he has been doing in ever since, could the harness have been the cause? He hates wearing his collar and is always scratching at it but would he still be scratching so many days later? Or is it maybe something to do with him being a long haired dog?

I groom him every secound day as I was told to do but this is my first long coated dog and don't really know what to expect.

He dosn't seem to be too uncomfortable but I am worried that if he keeps doing it he will end up hurting himself.

Thanks in advance

it could be some scent also. Scratching does not means its itchy. Observe whether does he go brush himself onto your furniture, floors etc. My sammies occasionally will do that also. But its only a couple of brushes and then he is ok with it already.

If that don't work, try looking deep inside the coat and see are there any foreign objects like plant matters, ticks and this kind. Use a high velocity blower to blow in to the skin to help u.

Id say its the harness.The harness can rub & pull on the hair & be very uncomfy for a dog besides they also cause knots on coated breeds.Some of the harness also dont sit well & with the pulling could alos bruise areas under the skin

Your pup is 12 weeks he doesnt get to decide what he likes to wear & i would be training the pup to like his collar for walks

Scratching can be from a number of courses.

It could be secondary to fleas, with some dogs it only takes one flea and they off scratching for weeks. Although you don't see any fleas it's not to say there was not a flea he could have picked up from anywhere that could be the root of it.

It is so frustrating when a dog scratches and there appears to be no obvious problem at skin level.

Knots could also be a potential problem but at 12 weeks old and with your brushing every second day i doubt that would be to much of a concern for you. Keep in mind also the more brushing the better, if you can do more than every second day thats even better, especially when there young to get them use to being brushed.

Another possible cause could be a mild food allergy, co lours and preservatives (in treats like schmakos etc) give a lot of dogs skin irritations. Hopefully he is one a super premium dry food or a natural diet. Thats another thing you might consider.

If his skin looks fine then i would not panic to much just yet, it can be easy with a new puppy to pick up on the tiniest thing and pull your hair out worrying about it. Its normal for dogs to scratch occasionally if he is doing it a lot some dogs develop obsessive compulsive conditions try telling him no if he seems to be scratching a lot for no reason and try diverting his attention with a toy or something.

Good luck, hope it helps :rolleyes:

Hey Leena,

I think it may be the harness. My samoyed scratches his collar a lot when we go an walks.

It's the only time he does it. when I tell him to stop he does and continues his walk. And there is no more scratching.

Samoyed's can be sensitive to restraints I think

XXToughgirlXX

Hey Leena,

I think it may be the harness. My samoyed scratches his collar a lot when we go an walks.

It's the only time he does it. when I tell him to stop he does and continues his walk. And there is no more scratching.

Samoyed's can be sensitive to restraints I think

XXToughgirlXX

Yeah I highly suspect that might be the issue as well. He does seem to be getting better since he hasnt worn it for the last few days. Luckily enough he walks well on a lead and collar and only has to wear a harness in the car.