Help Me Help My Springer Lose Weight

Our new addition is a Springer Spaniel.. and she is fat... how can we make sure she is feeding enough without overfeeding her or starving her?

Currently she is fed twice a day with tinned food... (naughty me)... and there is often a bowl of dry food around to nibble on...

I am after some constructive advice please....

Remove the dry food to 'nibble' on. If she needs it, then give her a raw carrot to nibble on or better still big raw bones or a chicken frame.

I would change her diet from canned food - sorry but it really is crap, mostly water and cereals to bulk it out.

Get a reasonably good kibble and follow the directions for feeding for one meal. There are so many but there are some more exensive ones that are really good (eukanuba, eagle pack etc).

Make the other meal meat and veges - more veg than meat.

When you have her diet adjusted, then see how she is doing. You may need to add more veges and reduce meat to get the weigh off as you go. Don't use potato, pasta, rice or other filler types as these just don't help.

Carrot, zuchini, broccoli, pumpkin, sweet potato, cauliflower (careful this can create wind that is most offensive) and whatever else you want to use (no onion).

If you do a search on DOL for diets you will find heaps to read through.

Good luck. Getting the weight off if you can is important to keep them healthy.

If you improve and reduce her diet, do it slowly so you don't upset her tummy.

If she does not lose weight, get her checked over by a vet.

Id be cutting her meal to once a daymaybe, Get rid of the can food, id be giving her fresh bones...you can also give her sadines in oil once a wek on her meals,, Someone eles maybe able to help u more as i own 2 lil dogs.. i give my beef, lamb, also mince,but it dont cost much to feed them a week, im not sure about abig dog

Yes definitely don't leave kibble or any other food lying around and I'd ditch the canned food too, it's probably the worst thing to feed to a dog. Start by cutting the quantity you give her in half and give some in the morning and some at night. Also increase her exercise, she should be getting a good long walk every day and also some free running if she has good recall, springers are a working breed and need plenty of exercise and mental stimulation.

Cut food intake by half.

You cannot starve a fat dog :nahnah:.

The extra weight does more damage to his body than cutting back food.

I did this when my 7kg dog put on some extra weight. I felt mean at the time, but he soon had much more energy and looked so much healthier.

Also increase walks, but go slow if the dog is very overweight and/or has arthritis already.

Canned food has a lot of extra calories from the sugar added to make it palatable.

firstly cut out the canned crap!!!that exactly what it is !do not leave food down for nibbles & reduce feeds by half adding mashed pumpkin as a filler;more exercise will also help & you will find your dog will want it; when she looses the excess wieght ;you have to be( what u think is cruel) to b kind sometimes