Working Dog Issue

Rayles

Hi There,

I have a border collie X kelpie who is approximately 3-4 years old. He has done agility and obedience but has been a bit neglected for the past year as I have been pregnant and now have a 4-month-old.

Yesterday said dog attacked and killed my two chickens...I know this is in his breeding, but would like some other opinions other than my own.

This dog has also grabbed the cat (no injuries) and killed a bird. He otherwise co-exists with our two cats and other male dog (both dogs are desexed). He hasn't been a problem with children in the past, but did jump up on one once and accidentally knocked her over.

What does everyone think? And should I rehome him or euthanise?

I really want to rehome him as I rescued him from the pound and went through a foster home and a rescue organisation just to have him today! It would break my heart if I can't find him a good home.

Thanks,

Rayles

Hi There,

I have a border collie X kelpie who is approximately 3-4 years old. He has done agility and obedience but has been a bit neglected for the past year as I have been pregnant and now have a 4-month-old.

Yesterday said dog attacked and killed my two chickens...I know this is in his breeding, but would like some other opinions other than my own.

This dog has also grabbed the cat (no injuries) and killed a bird. He otherwise co-exists with our two cats and other male dog (both dogs are desexed). He hasn't been a problem with children in the past, but did jump up on one once and accidentally knocked her over.

I really want to rehome him as I rescued him from the pound and went through a foster home and a rescue organisation just to have him today! It would break my heart if I can't find him a good home.

Thanks,

Rayles

Chicken killing and knocking over a child don't sound like reason enough to me to have him euthanised. As far as keeping him when you have the baby . . . You know him best and it seems like you are having doubts. I wouldn't take any risks with my kids. Perhaps talk to the rescue home where you got him from?

My dog would tear a cats throat out and rip apart a chook given the chance but he has not ever touched my child. :thumbsup: Prey drive and human aggression are totally different.

Edited by Clyde

Euthanise??? That may be a little extreme.

Your dog killed the chickens because chickens are seen as prey objects to your dog, same with cats, rats and any animal that makes squeeky type noises and moves.

You have a working dog.....are you currently giving him some work? Pent up instinct and drive will need an outlet somewhere, especially a dog who is used to working or sport and then suddenly stops.

I think your children will be fine but if you don't feel you can give him enough stimulation, then best to rehome to someone who can.

Edited by Kelpie-i

I have made sure I do something with him every day since the incident.

We have gone for walks, gone for ute rides, kicked balls and I installed a make-shift jump (until the agility set I ordered arrives), which amazingly he still knows what to do with!

I will also be trying to get to weekly agility training...which can be difficult with a hubby who works the same night it is on.

I have also been in contact with a dog behaviourist (but have to wait until September for a consult).

I am trying my best to integrate all aspects of my new family and life.