Puppt Eating Grass?

belznp

There doesn't seem to be a clear explanation as to why they do (they can after all throw up just because they want to, no grass needed) but it's not usually a problem. I guess if it continues then it's worth talking to your vet about.

There was a paper published recently by Sueda and others that looked at grass eating and found that of the dogs in their study, only 9% 'frequently' appeared ill before eating grass, and only 22% frequently vomitted afterwards. Being younger was associated with an increase in frequency of plant eating; an increase in consuming non-grass plants; a decrease in regularly showing signs of illness before eating plants and a decrease in regularly vomiting after consuming plants.

They concluded that it was 'normal' behaviour of healthy dogs.

Hope that clarifies it a bit (although like I said, it's still a bit of a mystery).

My dogs eat grass occasionally, sometimes they vomit it up and sometimes it comes out the other end. This is perfectly normal behaviour and unless the dog appears unwell I wouldn't worry about it.

Yeh, my dog always seems to. If you see her chewing grass you can be sure you'll find a nice pile of vomit around afterwards.

Oh, so yours doesn't just lick it straight back up like mine? haha :laugh: We would never know if Jedi (or my beagle that I had previously) had vomited... It disappears VERY quickly! YUCK!

Edited by TerraNik

Yeh, my dog always seems to. If you see her chewing grass you can be sure you'll find a nice pile of vomit around afterwards.

Oh, so yours doesn't just lick it straight back up like mine? haha :rofl: We would never know if Jedi (or my beagle that I had previously) had vomited... It disappears VERY quickly! YUCK!

Aghh gross!

They also enjoy licking the condensation off the grass in the morning... cuuuute

Both mine will eat grass when I let them out but rarely do they vomit. I highly suspect that my Sammie just likes ripping all the grass up however :)

My jack russell x staffy boy was having a good old munch of grass while doing obedience training this weekend. He looked just like a little goat ripping at the grass. I was trying hard not to laugh as I was trying to get him to drop while all he wanted was to head towards a lusious bunch of green leaves. He looked funny as with a piece hanging out the side of his mouth. No ill affects afterwards so can only assume he likes the taste. He is a quirky lad! :o

Both my boys eat grass - they're like furry 4 legged lawnmowers!!! - I think its a combination of them liking the taste of it and sometimes using it to settle their stomachs. Most of the time it goes straight through them and I have to pick up very grassy poops, but the other day Max started hacking like he was going to vomit, then ran straight outside and started munching grass. After awhile he seemed fine, and went back to sleep!!

They especially love nice long green grass, they'll munch away for ages!! If your puppy is doing it I wouldn't worry.

Mine will eat grass quite often (I buy pet grass specifically and grow it in a planter for him to nibble on when the fancy takes him). However, when he is unsettled (ie can't get comfortable, keeps getting up and trying a new position etc.) he goes outside, eats the grass and vomits. He comes back in after this and is normal again.

Here he was nibbling on his new lot before I'd planted it. :(

Tryingoutthenewpetgrass001-1.jpg

Mine eat it but they like the freshly grown, undisturbed, non-piddled on variety. Our puppy run has grass growing in it but the dogs don't usually spend time in there. Whenever I open the gate and let them in, they're just like sheep....grazing away on the grass!