Doggy Door Training

poochmad

Not sure whether this should be in the puppy problem section, as it's not a problem...yet. (As he has not joined the household.)

I'm looking at getting a doggy door installed so that the pup can come and go as he pleases and was wondering what is the best way to start the house training.

My initial thought is to first get him used to going outside to 'toilet' (by picking him up and taking him outside) and then once he's grasped that concept, showing him how to use the doggy door.

I'm hoping that while I'm away at work he can go in an out of his inside den (blocked off from the rest of the house) to the outside to play and do his business.

Has anyone had any success in using the doggy door early in housetraining or am I expecting too much from a pup?

Any suggestions, comments are welcome.

I think you're probably expecting a bit too much too early. The pup has to learn first that you want him to go to the toilet outside. It's best if you're there encouraging pup giving a verbal command "go wee" or whatever you choose and then praising and rewarding his efforts. Don't forget actually training the pup to go through the door is an entirely separate matter and just because he knows how to use the door doesn't mean he knows to go through the door to go to the toilet. This will come in time. Be patient :) Dog doors are wonderful when they're a little bit bigger but early on pup may even be afraid of it and if he has a bad experience (such as catching tail or banging on face) getting him to go in and out will be very hard. Even when he uses the dog door you're probably best to follow and still reward any toileting so it is still reinforced.

When I taught my little fella to use the doggy door, I got him used to going through it before it was installed, had it on the couch with a treat at the other side with the flap open to start, he soon worked out go through door get treat, now he flies through it..

I put their dinner right outside of the door and propped it open for a while. I also put them outside and held treats on the other side and they couldn't help themselves. I think MJ was about 6 months though. Halston my new pup went straight through it following MJ, although he hasn't been given free reign to it yet so that could have been chance-he is on 13 weeks. For now he and MJ (11 months) are outside during the day, with doggy door shut out of fear of chaos and destruction inside :)

Took mine about 2 weeks approx till they were really used to it. Now they play games with it-not letting the other through, slapping the flap with their paw into the other's head :)

Took mine about 2 weeks approx till they were really used to it. Now they play games with it-not letting the other through, slapping the flap with their paw into the other's head ;)

:)

I'm embarrassed to admit that our doggy door is permanently held open with globs of blu-tac because Charlie won't go through it if the perspex touches any part of his body. It's been left open for over 3 years!! Can't see him wanting to play "slap the flap" with your dogs valby. :D