Nature's Gift Mini Treats Or Antibiotics Causing Vomiting

Bought some of these Nature's Gift treats the other day and started giving them to my pup (nearly 6 months). Have noticed that she has been vomiting them back up again. She is also on antibiotics atm so I'm not sure if it's the medication causing the nausea as well. She vomited yesterday and wasn't hungry at all last night, except she did eat a tiny amount of dry cat food which she kept down. She was fed this morning (dry dog food soaked in water - about 1/2 cup) but so far everything staying down, but she did put herself to bed in her crate about 1/2 hour after having her pill which I have to put down her throat as she won't eat it by itself or mixed in soft cheese or with peanut butter. (Have also caught her eating daisy bush leaves over the last few weeks - can't find anything to say they're bad for dogs though.)

Would you think it's the antibiotics causing the nausea and the Nature's Gift treats just don't sit well at present? Will try them again when she's 100%.

Edited by Jigsaw

I would ring your vet and enquire if the antibiotic they've given you is known to have those side effects. If she has been vomitting for more than 24 hours, you should definatly call the vet, as there can be problems with dehydration as well as whatever the underlying problem is.

With antibiotics, most do have some effect on the digestive system. That's why humans are told to eat yoghurt when they are on them, especially yoghurt containing acidophilus and other pro-biotics, that are required for digestive health. any time our animals have been on antibiotics, we always include one serve of yoghurt in their diet, and have had few problems.

Edited by Andanin

Why is he on a/b's ? maybe it's her illness causing the vomiting?

if she is vomiting, perhaps staying away from things with a high fat content will help.....

either way..phone the vet and check - vomiting also may mean that the full dose of A/B's isn't being absorbed properly. :)

I reckon Natures Gift does some excellent tinned food (I have a few on-hand for emergencies), but looking at the ingredients list of their treat range isn't very inspiring, which is disappointing. They are not something I'd personally give Bonnie...but she is deprived of smackos too - except when she visits my Dad - he's a bit naughty with dogs and the overfeeding of treats! :)

Sounds like a plainer diet with antibiotics might be safest?

I use Nature's gift mini treats when I train my Aussie Terrier puppy Brandy & she has never had any problems with them. I have also given them to Bailey ( who can have a sensitive stomach at times ) & he also seems to hold them down alright aswell. :)

Maybe check with your vet to see if the antibiotics have any side affects.

I have rung the vet and they have recommended reducing the amount of antibiotic to see how she goes. They said that the antibiotic she's on (which are Noroclav) is the one that usually has few side effects like this. :cool: No vomiting today!!! But have also not given any Nature's Gift!! My previous dog wouldn't even look at them I remember now.

She's on ab/s because she developed a suture sinus from an internal suture from desexing about a month ago which just popped up within a day and was pretty yuck I must say when they took out the suture.