A Friends Labs Ears

hi,

I have just come home from a friends house and she has a lab called Max.

I was giving him a pat and a scratch under the ears and said to my friend he has a little lump under there.

it was a scabbie feeling type of lump.

She told me she has had him at the vets recently and been given some dog wash for his ears.

She showed me his poor ears on the inside.

They were red raw :thumbsup:

Then i noticed that on the outside of his ears looked like his ears had been bitten by flies like in the summer time.

She told me her vet said it was ok and just to keep bathing them in the stuff he was giving her.

I asked if it was malased{sp} she said she thinks it is.{we were in kind of a hurry and she couldn't find the bottle}

She said this isn't the first time this has happened , his ears lose the fur on the tips , looks like bites etc then the hair grows back etc.

i told her she should get a second opinion. :laugh:

Has anyone got any ideas on this please?

She is a bit short on cash at the moment as her daughter found 4 X 1 week old kittens in her garage and my friend has taken 2 of then and her daughter the other 2 . They are now 12 weeks old and are being desexed next week, fullly vacc and microchipped. :laugh:

Thought someone might have a herbal remedy that could help poor Max. :scold:

edited to say- that i scrubbed my hands when i got home in case it was something my two could catch

Edited by misha&milo

Sounds like it could easily be fly bites. Often the ears go crusty and scabby around the edges. The ears are probably itchy/irritated from the flies and the dog has likely been scratching the ears, resulting in a secondary bacterial infection. Sounds to me like ok advice from the vet, though some fly repellant cream wouldn't hurt either.

Scabies mites can also cause crusting around the pinna of the ears and are usually incredibly itchy.

(spelling)

Edited by stormie

If it is fly bite, then a fly repellent would be a good place to start.

Calendula ointment, pawpaw cream are both soothing.

Found this: Natural Tick & Fly Repellent

* 2 Cups Vinegar

* 1 Cup Avon Skin So Soft

* 1 Cup Water

* 1 Tablespoon Eucalyptus Oil

* 1 Tablespoon Citronella Oil

Put in a spray bottle and spray dog's coat.

Also putting apple cider vinegar in the dog's water will help.

I use lanolin on fly bites with some spray repellant over the top. The lanolin soothes the ears and then the repellant keeps the flies away. It's good because even when the repellant wears off, the lanolin is so thick that the flies can't get to the ears to bite anyway!