Western Port Obedience Club (& Hastings)

Guest Tess32
interesting reading.

What other clubs train Saturday's as that would be my best day? I am thinking of Mornington.

Which one? There are two around there I think....one is more pet dog, manners stuff I think.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one on Cobb Rd - Blind School I think...but now not sure which is more pet dog oriented...

I found this:

MORNINGTON ODC Inc

George Vowell Centre for the Blind,

Cobb Road, Mt Eliza (Mel Ref 105 C8)

Training Saturdays 1.00pm-3.30pm

New Members: 12.30pm

MORNINGTON PENINSULA CDC

Citation Oval, Helena Street, Mt Martha

Training

10.30am - Puppies (up to 16 weeks)

Advanced Puppies (over 16 weeks)

1st Day Beginners

12.00noon - Adult Dogs/Beginners

Guest Tess32

I've been to second one, they are pet doggy :kissbetter: The other one I had a chat to at the Rosebud expo - seemed nice enough.

Guest Tess32

Can't I just wait to get your opinion? hehe.

I'm still gonna check out WP in case it's one trainer who seems to be the problem.

Hi as a member of Mornington I can highly recommend it, it has a great puppy class and if you wont to trial there is always someone to help you, they also encourage positive methods of training it is also a very friendly club , being a refugee from one of the other bigger clubs found them very wellcomming.

Which night is rotti club? what times? positive training or old school?

Rotti club is on wednesday nights at KCC - details here http://www.rottweilerclubofvictoria.com/site/index.php?id=32 They do positive training - food, tugs, anything that rewards the dog, and you can use to motivate as well. I have a 'soft' dog (sooky lala Stafford) and first day of training she wasn't too sure, and the instructor noticed this and made sure it was all about having fun. Didn't give a toss about whether she was sitting straight etc, it was just all about making sure she felt comfortable and saw it as a positive experience. The following week she nearly pulled my arm off to get into training, she was ready and rearing to go. And is now a confident little miss when it comes to training - thanks to the care and attention we recieved from the trainers. They set the dogs up to succeed, not to fail.

Having said that - they do teach corrections for bad behaviour, and most people train on correction collars - but you can train on any collar you like (I use a martingale for my girl or a flat collar). So yes its a mix of old school and positive.

Best to come and have a look and see if it is something that you find suitable.

Edited by isiss

As for other clubs, Berwick has a great reputation, as does Croydon (I come from agiliy background more than obedience). Mornington is a lovely club for general obedience and behaviour help, they really avoid the trialling details but again saturdays!! Lovely people thou! Personally I would like to join berwick, going on feedback from visitors and members and I always love their trials, but saturdays!!

Hastings is meant to be awesome!

On a side note - anyone know of clubs that do obedience trialling 'run through's' on a weekday evening? I go to Croydon, but over winter, we don't have run throughs on an evening and I need a 'back up' incase I can't make it on Sunday :rolleyes:

Guest Tess32
Does anyone know anything about Frankston obedience school?

I was tossing up between Western Port and Frankston as I live close to both.

The last time I checked it out, about 3 years ago, it was still very traditional. But I'm going to check it out in a couple of weeks to see

if it's changed. I really don't want to go that often so it's a toss up between frankston and westernport for me.

Does anyone know anything about Frankston obedience school?

I was tossing up between Western Port and Frankston as I live close to both.

The last time I checked it out, about 3 years ago, it was still very traditional. But I'm going to check it out in a couple of weeks to see

if it's changed. I really don't want to go that often so it's a toss up between frankston and westernport for me.

I can assure you that Frankston is now NOT AT ALL very traditional. I know, I go there all the time as well as other clubs. They are open to all sorts of methods and food is very very welcome in the classes, for instance. However, the issue is that it is very small trialling community there so that there is not a lot of help for triallers if you don't have outside help as the few of us there either do, or don't actually need. It is a good, friendly club though wtih non-traditional growing and growing. As I said in an earlier post though, I know a lot of Westernport people too and they are lovely and non-trad too.

I would also like to say that I'm a member of rotti club even though I don't own a rotti and I train there Wed nights and it is far and away the friendliest club and our instructor is the best trialling instructor I've ever seen at work and I have been an Ob instructor for ages myself in the past. The rotti club have it right - a mix of motivational training with some more trad methods if necessary but they are very very good down there. Really love it!!! Very grateful they let other breeds join, they are great.

Rotti Club sounds great :rofl: Do you have to know someone to join if you aren't a Rotti Owner? Also I've heard positive things about Hastings too... Any feedback on them would be most welcome :eek:

THank you to all of you who have contributed to this thread it's proved very useful for me! :laugh:

Hi Alanglen and all,

I've recently joined the Western Port club and I am not an instructor there. If you saw someone training a dog for tracking in a slip collar, it was probably me giving my pup a quick track before or after class. It's a pity you didn't come over and chat as we could have swapped ideas on tracking. I'm always ready to learn about tracking from anyone. Have you done a lot of tracking?

I think you must have struck the club on a bad day because I'm really enjoying my time there. I actually joined because of their positive approach to training. I particularly like the Community Companion Dog program they have introduced. I was looking for just such help with a golden retriever I've been trying to help. This club has a planned "meet and greet" exercise in the early classes that will be just right for her.

I'm a current member of Frankston and I think it's a fine club too. I have found over the years that Frankston allows experienced handlers a great amount of leeway in training techniques, but they're always ready to step in with help where it's needed too.

Good luck in finding a club that suits you and your dog.

Barbara B

Nope was a a male handler and a black labrador off to do tracking with a chain only! Also had a good friend gone down there last week and her experience was just as bad as mine. Sad really.

PS Really enjoyed rotti club last night, thanks for the referral.

Hi Alanglen,

it's good that you've found a club that suits you, and very nice of Arva to refer you to it. I think we're quite lucky in our wide choice of local clubs.

I can't comment on the black labrador and handler in question, because I didn't see it, but really I see nothing wrong in tracking a beginner dog in a collar. If I don't have a harness handy, I'll track them without it....sometimes even off-lead depending on what aspect I'm training for. It's all training.

I guess if you were heavy-handed, or your dog pulled like a steam engine, it wouldn't be a good idea but mine are all very gentle dogs.

Best of luck with your dogs' training.

Barbara B