Increase In Skin Pigmentation

sas

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone has experienced a dog that has or had increased skin pigmentation.

Now to start off with, I do have a Harlequin so it is typical that in this case that the dog can acquire more patches over time, however here is my concern...

Allergenic dog in the last 2 months have started to produce a large amount of pigmentation spots, they are raised to start with and almost look like a large blackhead but are not, over time they spread out, over the course of 2 months the largest is probably 2cm round.

The reason why I am asking in this case is because in those last 2 months we have 30+ new tiny pigmentation spots and even for a Harlequin it seems excessive.

Doing a search on the internet showed that there are a number of skin issues where an increase in pigmentation is seen.

Anyone experience anything like that?

Edited by sas

Geez, you guys are going through the mill hey? :D

We've never experienced anything like that... the only thing we've had was the pigment in Zayda's nose lightening / darkening at different time... which isn't entirely unusual...

Sounds like it could be related to some of the immune mediated diseases like Pemphigus perhaps... I hope for your sake it isn't... I know of a Ambull in the States that was diagnosed with this and had the more traditional peeling skin, but I'm pretty sure his owner reported colour changes too...

Have you got any pics of the spots when they are raised / black headish?

Good luck working out what's going on there...

Hi Sas,

Nothing is kicking around in the back of my head :kissbetter:, but can you post a picture? if possible of the "raised" stage and the larger final stage? Are they growing in size after they settle down? are any of them forming sores of do they look just like normal spots after they've settled? I don't remember, how old is Dante exactly? perhaps it's hormonal and associated with maturity? and Lastly, which I'm sure you have, have you asked your breeder? maybe it's something common in those lines? Good luck! I sure hope it's nothing more than some extra spots coming in.

Hey sas, strange question, but have you tried gently scratching at the patches? When Orbit gets a bit 'staphy' from his itching, he gets the pustules which also flatten out and the skin at the site goes brown, but it flakes off like a scab if i scratch at it, kind of like a really thin scab?

Is he on cortisone by any chance?

my first thought was cushings.... or hypothyroid

Cushing's disease (hyperadrenocorticism) Caused by an increase in corticosteroids in the body - either due to increased production by the body or as a side effect of high doses or prolonged therapy with corticosteroids Hair loss, thinning of skin, hyperpigmentation, easy bruising, seborrhea, comedones (black heads), may see calcinosis cutis; lethargy, increased thirst and urination, pot-bellied appearance Adrenal gland function tests, urinalysis, chemistry panel, CBC If due to glandular tumors, selegiline, o,p-DDD (Mitotane), or surgical removal of tumor; if due to high steroid doses, withdraw use of steroids slowly

hypothyroid also can cause skin pigmentation.

but then I am thyroid fixated.

Cheers

H

Thanks for everyones responses, I'll try and get some photos later in the day.

It's hard for my breeder to understand exactly what I mean until she can see him as it is normal for new spots to occur with Harles, so figuring out what is normal and what is not is the thing here.

At the time when the spot starts when it's tiny there is some irritation around it and brown stain to the skin around it....Stormie typical to the condition he gets on his neck which i believe is the secondary skin infection but when the spot because bigger it is black not brown.

Hi Sas,

I have a dog with allergies and when she was at her worst and had lost her hair, her skin all went black . Since improving (on injections) her skin has returned to its normal pink colour.

I might just head up to the Vets and get them to have a look to put my mind at ease 'cause google searching always comes up with worse case senerio.

I tried to take photos but the camera wasn't able to focus at such close range.

Yep, he's on cortisone and has been for some time.

He has just started on his allergy desentising injections.

allergic dermatosis also causes increased skin pigmentation as you no doubt already know. .

As your pup has been on cortisone long term I would be looking at a full blood panel being done, I have had two dogs on cortisone long term and both have had side effects affecting the skin and coat as well as other things.

Good Luck.

H

My dog, Wire Haired Fox Terrier, has skin issues and I noticed that he was getting more darker pigmentation. He was under the care of McDowell's so I asked if it was normal and the answer was yes it is normal when dogs have had itchy skin and it starts to clear it allows more pigmentation to appear.

Some bacteria can leave a dark circle/ring at the site, though it's not exactly pigmentation and usually goes away.

Chronic scratching and irritation can also cause a change in pigmentation, but it's not usually small specific areas like you're describing, its usually more general over the whole area.

I doubt with the dose of cortisone your on and the length of time you've been on it that it would be cushings.

Pics sas!!!

Dante is on a very low dose of cortisone, not enough to cause long term issues.

Stormie, I can't get my camera to focus on such a small area, arg!

Went to the vets today to pick up some anti-biotics as he now has a secondary skin infection, Vet said increased pigmentation was normal in allergic dogs too.