Lung Tumors And Breathing Difficulties

I have a 13 yr old sheltie Kayla that has tumors growing in her lungs. I was told that she wouldn’t have long to live and to just keep her comfortable so we started her on pred and Kayla has lived a very spoilt life. Far exceeding any vet expectations 18mths on she is still with me and apart from the odd bout of coughing which has caused a slight lung bleed and required antibiotics she has seemed fine until recently. X-rays of her lungs have confirmed that the tumors have slowly gown over that period of time

Issue now is that her breathing in one lung sounds very bubbly and moist; I can hear the rattle as she sits in her bed at my feet as I type and I guess my concern is that she is suffering. I have visited the vet and he asked me the vital questions, is she eating well, is she as active as normal considering her age and does she seem happy – my answer to all 3 is yes. She is the first to the biscuit barrel if there is any chance of a biscuit, still races all the dogs outside for the final biscuit before I go to work and is sitting waiting for me wagging her tail when I get home, often in the rain to my horror. In fact the only noticeable change has been that she is feeling the cold more (I brought her a coat and now leave the heat pump on for her) and of course the breathing.

Firstly does anyone know of anything that might help her breathing and has anyone else has this issue? I would rather pts 6mths too early than have her suffer but would have to admit I have having difficulties with this decision when she seems otherwise fine.

Has she been to the vet recently?

Perhaps it is possible to do something (antibiotics? drain?) to make her breathing more comfortable?

Is so hard to know what they feel :cheer: .

Humans can certainly have horrid sounding lungs and be severely restricted in what they can do (e.g walk only 5m), but adapt to some extent.

She was at the vets last week. She is already on antibiotics which has all but stopped the coughing but the breathing is still terrible. The vet said there is nothing more he can give me but I will try the shower and think I will extend the antibiotics for another week.

I don't really think her breathing is restricting her, she is as active as she used to be considering her age but it is so difficult to tell. Most of the time I think she is fine but sometimes I look into her eyes and think she is suffering. I guess my main issue is that while I know her condition is terminal I selfishly want as much time as possible with her but not at her expense and that is a very fine line

Sounds like pleural effusion to me, which is fluid on the lungs caused by the underlying disease, in this case the lung tumors. My last dog had this during his kidney disease. He was also oedemic (fluid in the tissues). It's a vile sound, that breathing. The only thing that really gets rid of it is treating the underlying disease, which in your case doesn't sound hopeful. Draining sometimes alleviates it as does a diuretic. I insisted that my dog be given a Lasix injection to alleviate his oedemia and there may be some diuretic therapy that may provide some short term relief for your dog.

Edited by Sheridan

:cryI lost my girl to lung cancer early in the year, you will know when it is time, my girl wouldn't eat or drink in the last few days, that was before the cancer was confirmed, I had just 24 hours before she made her final journey I could not keep her going it would have been so very selfish to have put her through anymore pain. Her final waking hours were pain free due the great jungle juice my vet gave her to have her exrays and ultrasound, I used this so that she may enjoy what time was left. She did everything that she loved most, sniffing at the park and swimming at the beach, it was a beautiful summers day. All I can say is be brave and do what you have to do when the time comes.

The thought has crossed my mind too. In Kaylas case while she has spent the last 8yrs in a smoke free home she did spend her first 5 yrs in the home of a heavy smoker and I know 2nd hand smoke can be just as dangerous. Guess there are other causes also

I would say if she's still active and happy then she is OK for now. Could those times when you think maybe she is suffering be her in pain? If so perhaps you could look into pain management for her.

When Jaida's cancer moved to her lungs it didn't seem to bother her at all, but hers didn't get far enough for me to be able to hear it just when she was breathing, she would just cough every now and then.

I would say if she's still active and happy then she is OK for now. Could those times when you think maybe she is suffering be her in pain? If so perhaps you could look into pain management for her.

When Jaida's cancer moved to her lungs it didn't seem to bother her at all, but hers didn't get far enough for me to be able to hear it just when she was breathing, she would just cough every now and then.

Agree about the pain Shek.

How long before you noticed Jaida coughing? I've been watching Sophie very closely and have not yet heard her cough.

Hmm, she was probably coughing about 1 1/2 - 2 weeks before I had her PTS. It wasn't a series of coughs, it was pretty much just one cough/hack type of thing. If I wasn't in the same room with her or the house wasn't quiet I wouldn't have noticed it.

I do think she is ok for now. She no doubt is a bit uncomfortable at times but generally quite happy and she has been coughing for mths. Normally just when first getting up after resting but as she has progressed she is now occasionally having a cough while lying down. Very hard call isn’t it