Biting

yeggy

just to check in, being real firm with koda on her snout and giving a squeeze has done it. if shes grumpy and doesnt want to let it happen, i then to give her a bit of a rough, and she stops very quickly now. however when she is biting, she is biting harder. this is because shes gaining that bite inhibition, right?

just to check in, being real firm with koda on her snout and giving a squeeze has done it. if shes grumpy and doesnt want to let it happen, i then to give her a bit of a rough, and she stops very quickly now. however when she is biting, she is biting harder. this is because shes gaining that bite inhibition, right?

ah no, i would say it i because she is testing you to see how serious you are about stopping her.

And also she may be starting to teeth.

Do you giveher bones to chew on? That could also help :rofl:

Keep it up sounds like you are doing well

Yeggy, yes it is a HUGE relief that they grow out of it ;)

I has flava is right, she's seeing how serious you are. Next time she goes give her the same treatment but growl incredibly loudly in her face quickly, get up and walk away giving her some alone time. And i mean LOUDLY give her a little scare so you dont just encourage her to up the ante

Just wanted to add that dogs do not necessarily grow out of mouthing- many dogs learn that it is so much fun that they continue well after the developmental phases (learning bit inhibition, teething etc) and into adulthood. Dogs do not need to mouth people to learn bite inhibition. The dog with the softest mouth in my house mouthed me twice and never again.

Just thought I'd add in as an OP on another thread about nipping that my pup is now 6 months and the only thing that really worked for her was the high pitched yelp - but it had to be at the right pitch for her to take any notice. If she didn't take any notice it was a short time out (as in 20 sec). The only affect grabbing her muzzle had on her was to excite her to bite and nip more - trying harder. She is still a bit mouthy on rare occasions when over stimulated and if she happens to make tooth to skin contact an "ow" and turning away is enough to immediately stop her now and play is redirected. Her behaviour overall has settled considerably since her adult teeth came in and she has definitely not bitten or nipped deliberately for a couple of months. Bones and pig ears were a big help too! My clothes no longer have holes or my hands!!!

Just thought I'd add in as an OP on another thread about nipping that my pup is now 6 months and the only thing that really worked for her was the high pitched yelp - but it had to be at the right pitch for her to take any notice. If she didn't take any notice it was a short time out (as in 20 sec). The only affect grabbing her muzzle had on her was to excite her to bite and nip more - trying harder. She is still a bit mouthy on rare occasions when over stimulated and if she happens to make tooth to skin contact an "ow" and turning away is enough to immediately stop her now and play is redirected. Her behaviour overall has settled considerably since her adult teeth came in and she has definitely not bitten or nipped deliberately for a couple of months. Bones and pig ears were a big help too! My clothes no longer have holes or my hands!!!

glad to hear the clothes and hands are recpvered.

each dog learns differently, so in that case i am so glad that so many differnet options were put up. i woulndt have been able to put up with it.

I can barely recognise the back of my hand at the moment!

My puppy, who is now 10 weeks old, has really done a number on me...ripped me to shreads! lol palizaconsilla7eo.gif

I've been trying some of these methods but so far none of them have had much of an effect on her.

I guess I'll just have to try harder :cheer:

I can barely recognise the back of my hand at the moment!

My puppy, who is now 10 weeks old, has really done a number on me...ripped me to shreads! lol palizaconsilla7eo.gif

I've been trying some of these methods but so far none of them have had much of an effect on her.

I guess I'll just have to try harder :cheer:

perseverance is key. my pup is 10 wks now too, but she started biting at 8 wks, so now we have had 2 weeks of corrections. she is getting there. she tries to bite, and you can see going through her head if its worth the risk. the leegburgh (spelling?) ebook helped a little, not the one on biting, funiily enough. the one on being pack leader. now i take her toys away when i dont want her plaing, which makes traing easier, and she gets a toy when she ahs been good or i am going out.

she is prob teething, so she loves chewing her kong, and ignoring the food in it at the mo. also it means she plays better, because she isnt overwhelmed with all these play things. it makes her respect me, and means that when i dont want to play but i know she needs to i can throw her a toy, and she entertains herself :laugh:

although it puts the burden of remembering on me. i forgot when i went to grab a bottle of milk, thinking it was 5 minutes. she tore a dvd case to pieces, but i knew it was my fault. so now im careful to give her the right toys.

as i said each pup is a differnet learner, and you have to find your puppys trigger. mine is play oriented, so food seems a little useless, but she is also very defiant so i have to be stern with her, whereas her sisters were playful but already obedient.

• 4 weeks later...

Everyone says they're puppies thats why they bite but when my SAYURI was 8 weeks onwards she would nip everyone and they thought it was so cute and naughty, but I was the only one who thought it was wrong and could lead to a disastrous habit or behaviour later on as she got bigger and told gave her a sturdy no and would turn my back or leave her alone. She realised she got no play from me and I warned everyone else to use the same response resulting in many games stopped and backs turned. She eventually realised what no meant and stopped. So if you're willing to trust and wait for them to grow out of it then each to their own but if like me you are worried with a nipping habit and growing big dog may spell trouble oneday then try discipline them early on. GOOD LUCK!!!! and keep us with progress please would love to her your results. :)