Protection Training

Everyone keeps telling me about how expensive it is...

But it appears my idea of expensive isn't matching others ideas of expensive (just from browsing sites and lesson costs.)

Anyone want to tell me how much they paid a trainer when they were learning? How many lessons a week/how many hours? Half lessons and half club work?

Midol, the answers you get will vary greatly and will not give you any real indication of the costs or training required. The 3 key factors are the Trainers, handlers and dogs ability; because of these variables you will not get a clear answer.

You also need to take in to consideration training never ends.

No guesstimates? I just want a range, like, 1 trillion dollars to 30 trillion dollars (or 1 billion dollars to 3 billion dollars a week)... but a bit more realistic.

How much do people generally spend on ongoing training?

Cost doesn't faze me, I am doing it no matter the costs but it's still nice to know how much I will be forking out :laugh:

(That word probably doesn't exist.)

Edited by Lord Midol

I can give you club costs. About $500 a year in club fees. That would be to train at the club twice a week. I belive that just club wont do so you need some private lessons, and those you can find out from particular trainers. I also belive that its good to be a member of more than one club as it gives you different locations/people/dogs to train with.

I would also say that you will need to train pretty much every day (at least in the beggining) in various locations. That you can do yourself so your costs will be the travel.

I have done some calculations recently and I think it costs me about $50 a week to train, this is with no seminars, no workshops no private lessons, no equipment (toys, collars etc). And I dont do PP training only obedience really, a bit of tracking and a bit of agility. (I included cost of petrol in my calculations)

I would love to do more, but all is very time consuming I struggle doing what I already do, and costs of travel are also very high.

Yeah, Monelite, time will be the main factor for me. But I can organise work to give me 1-3 regular days off work a week.

I've been looking into a few clubs in the past few days and I emailed the trainer Jeff recommended me last night to find out how often he'd want to see me :hug:

Equipment is a bitch, as from what I've seen quality gear (like muzzles) is expensive. But meh, treat them well and they'll last a long time.

Edited by Lord Midol

Prong - well depends where you buy one but make it $100

good ecollar $1000

But true good gear lasts long time, I have my original prong (thats about 6-7 years old) my original lead (8 years old)

Good toys cost a fortune too. I just bought two small balls (Sprenger) for $20. Orbees lasted few months as I ripped one open when my dog tugged on it, Kongs are still there although on the 20th string. I made my own tug toys from polar fleece and they are still OK.

time will be the main factor for me. But I can organise work to give me 1-3 regular days off work a week.

one day a week wont do... you cant train all day...

In my case life just gets too much in the way of training, I am a busy person and find it hard to find time to train. Not the little sessions - these I can always manage, but to go and meet up with like minded people and train.

you can get away with not having a prong collar i borrow 1 if i need it

i have to say this but i dont see the need for a ecollar (but that depends on the style the trainer uses)

and i make my own tug toys

Monelite, I meant 1-3 days as in maybe 1 day paid trainer, 2 days club or 2 days paid trainer, 1 day club :D

I've already got 2 prongs and I "own" an e-collar but I don't "have" it :cry: I'd need new prongs though (or new links) as mine will be too small for a GSD. I'd probably want to go up in thickness as well though.

I just got the e-collar as from my reading they have many uses. I don't see it as a "final step" or "last resort" so whether my trainer uses one or not it will still benefit me.

What size prongs do you have? I have one that is not the largest size prongs and it is fine for Diesel (40/45mm long), and a much smaller sized link for Kaos (~30mm long).

I meant 1-3 days as in maybe 1 day paid trainer, 2 days club or 2 days paid trainer, 1 day club

Simple than $500 a year for the club plus aprox $200 for paid trainer (a week) thats about 10K a year in fees. Add travel and gear and you have your answer. :vomit:

and then there's the option of train and board, although for sec/PP dogs i would highly unrecommended it. that can cost upwards of $1000 a week.

but what Monelite said above would seem about right.

its an expensive thing. but you can also do it with the basics, for example we used old cricket pads instead of sleeves, works well when local cricket clubs through alot of them out, may not last as long as a sleeve but you'll have pretty much an endless supply of them.

Protection equipment is not something I would skimp on. It is likely the trainer has the bite equipment (very expensive stuff I think). As you know good quality leads and collars are $$$ but definitely worth it for protection work, it is there to keep everyone safe!

Protection equipment is not something I would skimp on. It is likely the trainer has the bite equipment (very expensive stuff I think). As you know good quality leads and collars are $$$ but definitely worth it for protection work, it is there to keep everyone safe!

very true, we have all the good leads and collars, things like that.

considering the other day our bull mastiff broke a leather collar, it shows you that you really need top of the line stuff.

but cricket pads seem to work well, untill the dog is fully grown then defiantly get a good sleeve.

Kaiser broke his first cricket pad at 8 months, just to stop any assumptions kaiser is not sec trained and is not going to be. the sleeve gets his prey/play drive under control, and he enjoys the game of tug, just re say game.

Yeah, I am hoping the trainer has bite gear. I only want to focus on the obedience side at the club so what the club has doesn't really matter.

No problem with spending money on good quality gear. You'll probably be getting a thread soon from me asking for recommended brands and such :D

Yeah, I am hoping the trainer has bite gear. I only want to focus on the obedience side at the club so what the club has doesn't really matter.

No problem with spending money on good quality gear. You'll probably be getting a thread soon from me asking for recommended brands and such :D

if your willing to import, leerburg productions sell alot of (as far as i know) top of the line stuff.

http://leerburg.com/equip.htm

local Sch clubs may also be a good place to ask around.