Distended Stomach After Desexing?

Please help!

My 5 month old Rhodesian Ridgeback got desxed and an umbillical hernia repaired on Friday at our local vets.

All was going well until this morning when the site around the sutures seemed a little red and puffy.

So off Sierra went with Grandma to the vet and he reassured us all was fine and that she had just "streched" her internal sutures by jumping around and being an idiot like a usual 5 month ols puppy.

I have just gotten home from work and looked at her belly and it looks like its hanging low.

Is this normal??

Stacey

Any news?

Sutures can be red and puffy from irritation. Sometimes the body doesn't like having the stitches in it and tries to reject them. Also bacteria can eneter the body down the stitch holes. This will usually subside once the stitches are removed.

My pup had a similar thing - she was swollen in the area for several weeks due to putting stress on the internal stitches! She has now tucked up again nicely (2 months later). She did however end up with a suture sinus (an internal stitch didn't dissolve so area became infected, it looked like an enormous pimple) and was a bit sick with that so even after external stitches are out keep checking site for a couple of weeks after for any strange swellings!

My pup had a similar thing - she was swollen in the area for several weeks due to putting stress on the internal stitches! She has now tucked up again nicely (2 months later). She did however end up with a suture sinus (an internal stitch didn't dissolve so area became infected, it looked like an enormous pimple) and was a bit sick with that so even after external stitches are out keep checking site for a couple of weeks after for any strange swellings!

Thank you so much, I now feel alot better about Sierra's saggy tummy!!

Spoke to the vet who reassured me (again) that she had just put too much stress on the internal sutures.

So she is staying at Grandmas during the day until the sutures come out so she can be kept quiet.