New Border Collie Puppy Coming Soon

Bundle

Hi,

We are getting a new Border Collie pup in the next couple of weeks. I have been reading through a lot of the posts and just wanted to enquire whether many people leave their pupps outside (with a Kennel of course) at night and during the day. We plan to have the puppy inside with us when we are at home but outside at night and during the day. Also we have quite a few big possums (which I don't like) roaming around our neighbourdood at night and am concerned about the pup outside at night while they are around... The breeder has told me that the pups are already sleeping outside.

Would love to hear your stories and thoughts.

My Cody was an outside only dog (mum doesn't allow dogs in the house) and he was 2 when I moved back out again. I gave him the choice but he rarely stayed in the house for more than 5mins and at night would cry at the door until I let him out, then he would happily curl up on the concrete and go to sleep. Delta started off as an outside dog as she preferred to be with Cody than in the house which my housemate preferred anyway. She was 5months old when I moved into my own place (Cody had died by this point) and thats when she started coming into the house. Charlie has always been allowed in the house too.

If I go out for the night I leave them outside and they are quite happy to sleep out there. They spend the majority of their time outside and if I don't go to bed until 3am I'm not going to wake them to bring them in, I just leave them sleeping outside.

Dogs are pretty adaptable, if you always have the dog outside then it will be happy enough out there (in my experience). My mother's dogs have never been inside and they are quite happy out there. Just make sure there is adequate shelter etc.

One thing I must stress though is that you still spend as much time as possible with the pup. There is a difference between a dog that lives outside and a dog that is left outside. The dog still needs to be a part of the family and I suggest doing obedience/agility/flyball etc with your dog. Its a great way to improve your relationship as well as keep your dog happy and prevent some of the bored behaviours (digging, barking, etc) that can present in a dog that is "left outside".

My Cody was an outside only dog (mum doesn't allow dogs in the house) and he was 2 when I moved back out again. I gave him the choice but he rarely stayed in the house for more than 5mins and at night would cry at the door until I let him out, then he would happily curl up on the concrete and go to sleep. Delta started off as an outside dog as she preferred to be with Cody than in the house which my housemate preferred anyway. She was 5months old when I moved into my own place (Cody had died by this point) and thats when she started coming into the house. Charlie has always been allowed in the house too.

If I go out for the night I leave them outside and they are quite happy to sleep out there. They spend the majority of their time outside and if I don't go to bed until 3am I'm not going to wake them to bring them in, I just leave them sleeping outside.

Dogs are pretty adaptable, if you always have the dog outside then it will be happy enough out there (in my experience). My mother's dogs have never been inside and they are quite happy out there. Just make sure there is adequate shelter etc.

One thing I must stress though is that you still spend as much time as possible with the pup. There is a difference between a dog that lives outside and a dog that is left outside. The dog still needs to be a part of the family and I suggest doing obedience/agility/flyball etc with your dog. Its a great way to improve your relationship as well as keep your dog happy and prevent some of the bored behaviours (digging, barking, etc) that can present in a dog that is "left outside".

Thanks for your post Delta Charlie! So you think he will be alright with the big scary possums when he is just 8 weeks old?

I have already enrolled in puppy school and will be spending lots of time with pup.

I will come and join the sub breed forum too!

Thanks for your post Delta Charlie! So you think he will be alright with the big scary possums when he is just 8 weeks old?

I have already enrolled in puppy school and will be spending lots of time with pup.

I will come and join the sub breed forum too!

at 8 weeks in the middle of winter maybe inside would be a better idea for a couple of months. the pup will have had all of her litter mates and mum for company and warmth at the breeder. mine sleep inside in covered crates so they have their own little dens. As for the possums I doubt they will hurt the pup but the pup constantly barking at them is a possibility that is another reason mine sleep inside we have possums and fruit bats and the dogs would chase and bark all night if i let them.

also agree with everything delta said re training and bonding. They make their own fun if you don't keep them interested. but the benefits of such a active smart breed is well worth it IMO. the more training and time you put in the easier it is for you in the long run.

[

at 8 weeks in the middle of winter maybe inside would be a better idea for a couple of months. the pup will have had all of her litter mates and mum for company and warmth at the breeder. mine sleep inside in covered crates so they have their own little dens. As for the possums I doubt they will hurt the pup but the pup constantly barking at them is a possibility that is another reason mine sleep inside we have possums and fruit bats and the dogs would chase and bark all night if i let them.

also agree with everything delta said re training and bonding. They make their own fun if you don't keep them interested. but the benefits of such a active smart breed is well worth it IMO. the more training and time you put in the easier it is for you in the long run.

Thanks for your piece of advice. Did your borders sleep in the crates as puppies? Which types of crates are best? The canvas or the wire? They aren't the most attractive pieces of furntiure are they?..

We don't have a massive back yard and the dog will be outside during the day while we are at work. Do plan to take it to off leash parks and walks everyday if not twice a day. We live near by lots of parkland. Dogs are ok by themselves during the day aren't they? even in a small backyard?

Sorry for all the questions....

I would confine the pup to the laundry or crate at first. It would be mighty cold out there for an 8 week old pup. Cody slept inside until he was about 12weeks old, then he happened to fall asleep in his kennel and I left him there. My ex didn't want him in the house after that (he was only ever in there to sleep anyway).

Delta was sleeping outside at about 9weeks but it was summer and she had Cody to snuggle with and an external toilet for lots of shelter. She was about 7months old when I started cratetraining her. All my foster puppies are cratetrained from the first night though and I would have done it with her if I had known how good it was. Especially if you plan on doing agility etc, best to get them used to the crate early on.

The size of the backyard isn't as important as what you do with it. Your dog will likely spend most of the day sleeping while you are out, so it really doesn't have to be huge. When you get home you need to utilise it by playing fetch, doing some training, pretty much just enjoying your dog. I know people who live in apartments with their border collies, they live near dog parks where the dogs run for an hour in the morning and a few hours in the evening. They spend the whole day sleeping while their owners are at work.

Walks are great but you will need to do more with your pup. Thinking will wear a dog out better than walking. I can't remember the last time I took my dogs for a walk, its probably been a few months at least. Instead I teach them new tricks, take them to training, play in the yard with them etc. My dogs are quite happy and content but if I was to switch the training we do for daily walks I think they would go mad.

Definitely go with a crate in your laundry or garage. I absolutely encourage our puppy buyers (we breed Border Collies) to get a collapsible crate, big enough for them as adults as well.

The crate will have a million uses and probably last the life of the dog. They are perfect for young pups, and you can encourage them by feeding them in it, and making it their special place, with mats and toys.

The crate is great for staying with friends or going somewhere not so doggie, as the pup can come too. And with a cover it can double as a light kennel during the day if undercover.

If you pup/older BC gets injured the crate is good for recovery, and perfect for when it has been desexed and needs to rest.

A crate is also a god-send for when people come over with small children, or non-doggie friends arrive....an hour or two with a lovely bone in the crate is no worries for the pup while the friends are over. Also small pups NEED time out, so if everyone is fussing, or there is lots going on, a crate is a good spot to let them just sleep.

BCs fair quite well outside, but for mine, even here in Qld I wouldn't leave my dogs outside in winter at night.

The pup will learn that the crate is their place and as it grows and it gets warmer the crate can be moved outside under a patio and the door left open at night.

Our pups are all crate trained and sleep through the night by the age of around 10 weeks with no toileting worries...we just make sure they get a pee/poop stop just before we go to bed, and then first thing in the morning, and gradually extend that time.

Good luck, and make sure you join us on the BC sub forum...we would all love to see pics!!

Prinnie

We had always thought our pup would sleep outside but our breeder (we have a belgian) suggested she sleep inside for the first 2 weeks mainly to help with bonding and familarising the pup with us. Conversely our vet told us she'd be fine outside as it was summer. (But had said if winter sleep inside for a little while.) We ended up having her sleep inside for the first 3 weeks but we'd feed her outside in her kennel and play games involving goping into the kennel. When we did move her outside she was fine.

Also have heard that crate training is great (must get onto that for our dog!)

Growing up, our dogs always slept outside, in the garage as pups then in kennels. It was the way things were in the old days.

The 1st 2 dogs I had when married lived outside in a kennel. April, my 1st pure bred Border Collie, always slept inside in the entry vestibule at the back door. First in a cardboard box then on a trampoline type bed.

When my son brought home a puppy nearly 8 yrs ago, she slept inside with April for the 1st few months then went to sleep outside in a kennel for a few years. She's a dog that loves to be inside, so in the last year she sleeps inside with my son.

After April died I got another Border Collie pup in April this year & she slept in a crate for the 1st couple of months. She now sleeps on April's old bed.

My dogs are outside during the day, weather permitting & if I'm out.

I would definitely have your pup sleep inside at least until the warmer weather starts. If you've ever been to an American forum, they would give you heaps for not having a dog inside. They seem to think it's their right.

Thanks for your piece of advice. Did your borders sleep in the crates as puppies? Which types of crates are best? The canvas or the wire? They aren't the most attractive pieces of furntiure are they?..

We don't have a massive back yard and the dog will be outside during the day while we are at work. Do plan to take it to off leash parks and walks everyday if not twice a day. We live near by lots of parkland. Dogs are ok by themselves during the day aren't they? even in a small backyard?

Sorry for all the questions....

no mine slept in a puppy pen at the foot of my bed until she was about 4 months old (until she could jump out) then she slept beside my bed on her own little bed :D it is only now we have two (got the second at 9 months old) she has to sleep in her crate. I like them close.. i worry :happydance: We have 2 crates in the lounge room one has a nifty crate cover and it doesn't look all that bad, but yeah I wouldn't call them attractive. they love them though even now there is a dog in the crate and one by the lounge at my feet.

we only have a small backyard. we try and do 2 walks a day. we have some great dog parks and bush tracks around here and we do training and fetch daily. I work from home so they are never alone in the backyard. and if i go out they are inside. I let Chloe roam the house but he is in his crate. like I said i worry :happydance: a friends boxer pup got stolen from their backyard never to be seen or heard of again.

If they are in the backyard I check on them often he he...

Edited by Chloes Dad

I'd recommend crate training as well, keep pup inside for the first few weeks/months get them used to sleeping in the crate and then you can move the crate outside to a sheltered spot and pup will be fine like that. My girl has always been inside with her crate but when I visit my parents or the inlaws the crate gets rugged up and she gets locked in there like usual only the crate is outside... doesn't seem to worry her. She loves her crate, she's currently curled up fast asleep in hers at the moment (it sits in the lounge room) and the door is wide open.

I'd recommend crate training as well, keep pup inside for the first few weeks/months get them used to sleeping in the crate and then you can move the crate outside to a sheltered spot and pup will be fine like that. My girl has always been inside with her crate but when I visit my parents or the inlaws the crate gets rugged up and she gets locked in there like usual only the crate is outside... doesn't seem to worry her. She loves her crate, she's currently curled up fast asleep in hers at the moment (it sits in the lounge room) and the door is wide open.

Totally agree with Seita about BCs loving their crates.....our BCs will go and sleep in them if we leave the doors open....I think (no scientific knowledge of this) that the crate replicates the idea of their cave/hole from pre domestic days. I think dogs sleep so soundly in them because they don't need to "keep one eye open for attacks", they just know they are safe and can truly rest....just a theory...like I said...feel free to shoot me down!!

Prinnie

Ok will definitely buy a crate. Am I right in guessing that the wire ones are better than the material kind?

When pup comes I will have it sleep inside in the crate. How often will should I get up to let it out to the toilet?

I have read so much about these crate's.

My now 12 week BC has slept on a big dog bed made by PetzBed. I put him on it the minute we came home and he claimed it. For the first 2 weeks (bought he home at 8 weeks) he slept in the lounge room and altamaticly used either the open back door or even the cat flap to go outside.

I am atking him to pppy preschool and will be taking him to the Port Adelaide Dog Obedience club for training. I am very interested in rtying him with agility and meybe even flyball but am wondering why i would need the crate for this as mentioned by anothe mmber in thisthread?

Hey Sabre's mum - you better post lots of photos of your pup. Not sure I would recommend the Port Adelaide Dog Training club but I complete in Adelaide with my older BC girl in both Obedience and Agility so if you want any information re clubs I am happy to provide some. Where is your pup from???? I just got myself a new 14 week old little baby :D . I would certainly recommend getting a crate if you intend to compete in any form of dog sports as a dog who is happy to settle and rest in its crate when its not out competing certainly has more energy to put towards competition then one who is not able to settle.