Sudden Aggression

Hi Schnauzer

His appetite hasn't increased, it's always been big. I do think he's only drinking more because he's running around a lot more. I'll talk to the vet about Cushings, though. I hadn't thought of that.

Sheriden, just as an afterthought, watch out giving too many pigs ears and things, some have chemical flavourings and preservatives.

If to much sulphate preservative is eaten then this can cause Thiamine deficiency, (beri beri) and neurological symptoms, ultimately some other serious problems.

Also kangaroo meat, pet quality does have sulphates in it, and you can never be too sure about human quality either. There is on brand of roo meat for cats that claims no preservatives.

How's grumpy getting along now?

Grumpy is doing very well. In fact, since my friend left on Sunday I've never had so many wheatie kisses. The vet rang today with the results of the blood tests. Other than a slightly lower than normal white cell blood count (the norm is 6% and his was 5.9%), everything was normal. The vet suggested we give a drug called Vivitonin a try for a few weeks. It's used to spark up dementia patients. He said an MRI would cost around $1700 (!) and he suggested Vivitonin because of the lack of any other symptoms to suggest a brain tumour. He said he didn't rule it out because only the MRI would do that. I don't exactly have $1700, of course, but could sell my family come up with the money somehow.

Opinions?

IDWT, hadn't thought about the pig's ears. He hasn't had one since Friday.

Night before last he got stroppy when I went to get a piece of fluff off his nose. This morning I went to give him a stroke of his beard when he got stroppy again. I told him off very loudly and he just sat there looking mulish. It's always the left side of his head. As far as I can tell there's nothing there that would indicate something wrong. I've patted him there many times before and since he started getting grumpy. I can't get the medication because I have no car at the moment. Might see if any of the vet staff are near me. There's nothing else wrong with him, just the grumpiness and of course, since he has to be muzzled at the vet, it's hard to examine his mouth. The vet did check (carefully!) before examining him too closely but there didn't seem to be anything wrong. I am wondering if anything happened at the groomers. I might give them a ring to check.

Haven't any pics with me, Monah, as I'm at work but I'll see what I can rustle up. I don't have a great deal of luck in posting pics. It's all a bit haphazard for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a small update. I've had Grumpy on vivitonin (dementia tablets) and there's no discernable difference in behaviour with him on or off the tablets. Aside from the two grumpy incidents just after my friend left, he's been fine. The test will be when he's groomed, I think. Must warn his groomer ...

One cause might be strangers but another might be his eyesight. have you had it checked?

Last year for cataracts and nuclear sclerosis. He had neither, just normal ageing lenses. It may have worsened, of course.