Holistic Heart Worm Preventative

I am wanting to change my dogs onto holistic heart worm, flee and intestinal wormer but i am not completely convinced that it is risk free. Have there been any studies on the effectiveness of holistic parasite prevention?

I am currently using revolution plus an all wormer and i noticed last month a long white worm in one of their poos last month after i applied the revolution. That wouldn't be a heart worm would it? I can't imagine them coming out in the poo, but it was wierd because i hadn't all wormed them :eek:

To my knowlege there have been no studies that have shown that these Holistic treatments work.

If there were studies to show that they worked then I would love to use them but I would rather not take the risk.

Some people don't heartworm at all but if you are living in an area that has a high prevalance of heartworm then you are taking a great risk.

I am wanting to change my dogs onto holistic heart worm, flee and intestinal wormer but i am not completely convinced that it is risk free. Have there been any studies on the effectiveness of holistic parasite prevention?

I am currently using revolution plus an all wormer and i noticed last month a long white worm in one of their poos last month after i applied the revolution. That wouldn't be a heart worm would it? I can't imagine them coming out in the poo, but it was wierd because i hadn't all wormed them :eek:

Maybe Tape worm which I think you have to medicate for seperately with Revolution?

I'm all for holistic treatments but when it comes to something so serious as heart worm, I just wouldn't risk it.

I'm all for holistic treatments but when it comes to something so serious as heart worm, I just wouldn't risk it.

That is what i was thinking. My reason for looking into it is that he has had an allergic reaction and i am trying to eliminate as many chemicals from his body as possible, but i just don't know that i can risk it if there is no scientific evidence of it's effectiveness.

Perhaps have a chat with your vet about the prevelance of heartworm in your state at all.

It's been years since I've heard of a case of heartworm.

(disclaimer, I am not advocating people don't treat for heartworm prevention - just make an educated decision rather than a blind one).

Perhaps have a chat with your vet about the prevelance of heartworm in your state at all.

It's been years since I've heard of a case of heartworm.

(disclaimer, I am not advocating people don't treat for heartworm prevention - just make an educated decision rather than a blind one).

I honestley wouldnt risk not treating for heartworm, the prevelance is so low due to the fact that people are using prevention, thus protecting the other dogs that are not on any prevention. Not long ago we saw a case of heartworm at the clinic i work and the dog actually came from a area which is a low prevention area.

Revolution only does fleas and heartworm, so if you used the allwormer at the same time, the worm was probably being expeld after the dose of worming tablet, wormers only have a reach back effect, they dont treat what the dog "will" get, they only treat what they have picked up previously to the treatment. :idea:

I wouldn't use any holistic treatment to prevent heartworm, there is no evidence that holistic treatments are effective and heartworm can kill your dog.

The worm you saw in your dog's poo would have been a roundworm, they are not common in adult dogs as most dogs over six months develop some degree of immunity, but if it was a long white worm that looked like a piece of spaghetti it was a roundworm. Tapeworm segments also occasionally appear in poo, but they look like cucumber seeds, whipworm and hookworm are too small to be noticed.

I'm a Herbalist for humans (at the moment but I'm building up my experience with animals) and I would still use the pharmaceutical treatments for things like heartworm... I know I can get good results for a lot of holistic treatments (in both animals and humans) but there are just some things I would want to be certain of...

Personally, I believe that the holistic treatments I use work really well in conjunction with mainstream intervention, I treat naturally for some things but have regular vet checks, vaccinations and pharmaceutical intervention where its required... I just make sure I keep my vet in the loop especially when I'm treating something long-term - I look at it like my relationship with my Dr, she knows what I do and take so what she can do works together with what I am doing and that's what I recommend my clients do as well....

Edited: to add a bit more

Edited by FionaC

Thanks everyone for your comments. I wont be taking him off heartworm preventative if there is no scientific proof that the holistic remedy works. I might just swap over to a heart worm tablet and use holistic treatment for fleas etc. That way i can see if it actually works. For his health i want to keep him as chemical free as possible, but i wont risk his life for it.