Golf Ball Size Lump

I went to walk Indie tonight,and wonder how i would have missed is. My daughter walked her for me the day before and didnt see it either. But she has a lump the size of a golf ball on her neck. I have given it a good feel and it seels to be moveable and hopefully nothin sserious. Has anyone hd any experience with this?

Of course we will be at the vet tomorrow,but just wondered if anyone has had this?

I have Sage who has had many lumps removed but none in such a scary place.

Edited by Lewis & Lyn

It could be a lipoma... These are just fat lumps that don't have to be removed unless they interfere with the dog (eg under the elbow and make walking uncomfortable).

To be honest the ONLY way to know what a lump is, is to take the dog to the vet and get a fine needle aspirate (not expensive). They will look at the cells extracted and determine if further investigation is necessary...

Please take the dog to the vet and get an aspirate done. Don't be lulled into a false sense of security when a vet says it is probably only a lipoma and nothing to worry about - get the aspirate done... Insist on it.

nope no vet visits recently.

my old staffy gets all these lumps n bumps so im sure its nothing as it feels and looks very similar. The only difference is the place and the shape.

Sages lumps seem to be "sac like" where as this one on Indie,really looks like she has a golf ball stuck on her neck.

I'm not a big fan of fine needle aspirates on lumps. If you do one on a lipoma for example, and send it off to the labs, they are reluctant to say its definately only a lipoma, as fat is all over the body, so you can never be 100% the fat cells you extract are from the lump, or because you didn't go in far enough etc... And, it is really not advisable to be poking around in a mast cell tumour for example. Just food for thought....

edited for spelling

Edited by stormie

I had a dog that once had a small lump appear under her neck (throat area).

I left it over night to see how it was and booked her into the vets for the following day.

The next morning the lump was the size of a tennis ball.

It turned out to be a grass seed which the vet had to 'clean out' + a course of antibiotics.

I would definitely recommend the vet.

I ended up getting Indie to the vet tonight... NOT looking good. When your vets face looks as horrified as mine must have, its never a good indicator.

He said he has never seen a tumor in a dog so young but it definately looks like thats what it is.

We did do a fine needle test and the results will be back tomorrow afternoon.

Apart from removing the said lump and sending that off to pathology to find out what it is, the only way to get an indication is for a fine needle aspirate IMO.

I believe you did the right thing by your dog.

Sending good thoughts for a fatty lipoma - the only time they will remove these is if they interfere with the dog...

Will be thinking of you and Indie today... Don't worry until you have to.

I tend to do fine needle aspirates of most lumps, if I can. I assess all the slides myself within 5 - 10 minutes, I don't claim to be a pathologist and I'm more than happy to send the slides off to a lab - but there are a few things that can be identified under a microscope fairly reliably. I use FNA's to develop a plan (monitor, treat, or remove), rather than make a firm diagnosis. It won't always give us a straight answer, but for the $30 odd it might cost for the chance to find something sinister, I think it's worth it.

If I take a few good samples and they are all fat, with very little, or no cellular material then I (tentatively) call it a lipoma.

Histiocytomas are also reasonably straightforward to identify.

Mast cells are easy to identify on smears and FNAs and the cells tend to exfoliate (be collected) easily. I would much rather take a single, clean sample of a mast cell tumour and know that it's a MCT before I remove it, so that I can take sufficient margins at surgery. IMHO the risk of disturbing cells in a discrete tumour with a clean needle stick is less of a problem than spreading tumour cells during a surgery.

Pus and evidence of inflammation and infection can also be identified readily.

These are about the only things I'm willing to "call" on an FNA. If I don't recognise a cell type, or the appearance of the cells under a microscope look a bit odd then I recommend lumps come off ASAP.

Although we can make educated guesses about what a lump might be from palpation and the behaviour of the lump, the only way to get a firm diagnosis is through histopathology. Mast cell tumours especially like to look like every other type of lump, so I feel it's always worth checking. So while sometimes a client might elect to leave a lump, it is always with instructions to monitor it closely for changes in size, appearance, shape etc.

Thanks again everyone.. my vet did have a look himself at the findings but wasnt sharing the info. I hope im being paranoid,but i have a feeling he wasnt saying much cause he inwardly knows the answers.

He has seen my old staffy with many lumps and bumps and has pretty much given me the all clear on the spot. We occasionaly do the FNA just to be safe but pretty much its only a precaution.

This time it was very different his face looked very concerned and he kinda did the test and spoke briefly,although I harrassed him for answers he didnt really say much other than lets talk about this tomorrow after we get the tests results

I would prefer to have the lump removed regardless,its right where her collar sits I worry it will annoy her. This is on the $350 range ,and last nights efforts cost me $130 already. Lucky for me my vet lets me pay him off!!

Edited by Lewis & Lyn