Fujifilm S100fs

Asalei

In true OH form, went out and spontaneously bought a new camera. Yes, we needed one and he did his research, but I'm concerned about the quality of the photos coming off the camera. Okay, yes, we only got it yesterday afternoon, but we were both quite disappointed when reviewing images.

Without going back to the company and saying "this camera is shit" we are waiting until daylight to have a go at taking some photos to see if the quality improves. OH isn't a camera newb by any means, but, also isn't a pro when it comes to settings. Me on the other hand, I put it on AUTO and shoot :cheer:

We've read the reviews, we have the camera, but I just wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with this camera?

We've got 14 days satisfaction guarantee, so we'll go out this weekend (hopefully it's not raining!) and take a few different shots to test it out.

In true OH form, went out and spontaneously bought a new camera. Yes, we needed one and he did his research, but I'm concerned about the quality of the photos coming off the camera. Okay, yes, we only got it yesterday afternoon, but we were both quite disappointed when reviewing images.

Without going back to the company and saying "this camera is shit" we are waiting until daylight to have a go at taking some photos to see if the quality improves. OH isn't a camera newb by any means, but, also isn't a pro when it comes to settings. Me on the other hand, I put it on AUTO and shoot :cheer:

We've read the reviews, we have the camera, but I just wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with this camera?

We've got 14 days satisfaction guarantee, so we'll go out this weekend (hopefully it's not raining!) and take a few different shots to test it out.

What's the problem with the images?

The review on DPReview suggests that apart from significant Chromatic Abberation, image quality is pretty good.

OH said it's not the CA.

I left him at his putah last night researching more. Basically this is how I understand what he was saying. When we zoom to 100% of the image, the quality is horrible. It's like it's a water painting and has been smudged. Is it meant to be like that?

He thinks that it's because the MP is so much higher than our other two cameras. He explained in layman terms for me. This camera's images are like bed sheet size. The canon we've got (350D) is like a table cloth and the sony is a pillow case. SO because the images are so much bigger, it's blurring.

I would have thought though, with any image it would stay clear the more you zoomed in? Maybe not.

As I said, I pick up a camera and put it on auto and shoot. He does all the fiddling with the settings.

Is the whole image in focus or are you perhaps looking at areas of the image that arent in focus?

Also I take it you are looking at the image at 100% view on the computer screen versus

100% digital zoom on the camera while you are using it?

eta: by 'on the camera' I am thinking about digital zoom versus optical zoom.

And the resulting quality from either.

Edited by chezzyr

The whole image is out of focus when 100% zoomed. We scrolled around the whole picture to see where was in focus and where wasn't. It was the whole thing that wasn't in focus.

It was a photo of Leia who wasn't more than 2m from me with the flash on.

Chezzyr: Yes, 100% view on the computer screen.

OH said when resized, they look fine. I told him to compare an image from the canon in focus to an image we took last night and see what the difference is. I didn't get the results from this, he took the camera to work today to do more "testing".

Did you take any without flash to compare eg outdoors in natural light?

Personally Id be trying different subject matter and various lighting

situations before writing something off. I would even take a non moving

object and set the camera up on a table or tripod and take a few

test shots at varying zoom lengths.

What ISO setting are you using for these photos?

I think I have a review of that camera in an old UK camera mag. I'll have a look for you, but I think it good very good reviews from memory.

Chezzyr - as I said in my first post, we'll be taking it out this weekend to try different shots and hope that it's good. It's a nice looking camera and most of the reviews were good. I don't want to write it off yet, hopefully with testing this weekend, we'll get some better photos!

Ripley - you've lost me. As I said, I just put it on auto and take a photo, OH is the one that knows all that. He's registered on DOL, I'll get him to come and post his technical version of my not technical at all understanding of the photos/camera.

Maybe we should do that too, print out an image and see what it's like. We never really print images though.

All the sample images we found on the net looked quite good.

I just thought I'd see if anyone has had any experience with this camera.

Edited by ~Erin~

You can have all the megapixels in the world but I think image quality is going to be

effected by numerous things - quality of the lens, camera movement, iso/grain/noise

and using digital zoom versus optical etc. Not all images are going to look tack

sharp at 100% view on the computer (though wouldnt it be nice).

p.s I know there are some dolers who use Finepix cameras, but I am not

sure what models sorry.

Edited by chezzyr

• 2 weeks later...
For what it's worth, looking at an image at 100% on the computer screen is like looking at a print that's 1m wide.

The test is in the resized images and the prints.

exactly!! :D

I am not technical- but I would agree here :)

Why would you attempt to look at a pic at 100%zoom on any computer screen?

I only use that zoom for photoshop work .

Print out a few prints..1 of each size. postcard. A4, & perhaps A3.. and see what quality is there.

Print out a scenic shot, a macro shot, and a mid range shot- of dog or person.

Then you have a much better exapmle of what the camera can do .

I use a fuji finepix S8000fd.

A4 & a bit larger prints off that- Look OK.

Edited by persephone

I've got a Fuji film Finepix z which is supossed to be 10 mexapixels. But I find the image quality pretty crappy too.

Some of the photos on my phone (which is 5 megapixels) are better.

But I bought it in Thailand so I cant exactly take it back.

Dont know if that relates to you at all :D but thought maybe as a brand they are not so good....