Anxiety Wrap! For Anxious Dogs

Hi 4paws.

It is based on the Tellington Touch or TTouch principles.

I have used wraps and Tshirts as well for nervous dogs. I have a friend who is a TTouch practitioner who has helped me with a couple of issues. Normally you would use a bandage for the wrap.

Tshirts are a wonderful invention as well for a similar approach. You can actually do a Tshirt and a bandage at the same time.

Hi 4paws.

It is based on the Tellington Touch or TTouch principles.

I have used wraps and Tshirts as well for nervous dogs. I have a friend who is a TTouch practitioner who has helped me with a couple of issues. Normally you would use a bandage for the wrap.

Tshirts are a wonderful invention as well for a similar approach. You can actually do a Tshirt and a bandage at the same time.

I'll have to look into it a bit further.I own a fear reactive dog who is very anxious around other dogs at training.Was physically shaking like a leaf the 1st day at training.Has improved but still very anxious

It has to be good.

If my dog goes phobic, I have been told to bear hug her which applies tension in a similar fashion and it works. I have also found that the firm pats suggested by Brenda Alloff work well too. Otherwise it is a very long time for her to recover,

Also, if you check out Temple Grantin's stuff, Animals in Translation etc she found that overall pressure reduced her anxiety which was based on the sensory difficulties attached to her Asperger's Syndrome (a type of Autism). It is often reported that people with this syndrome can have noise and visual sensory overloads similar to animal type phobias

I will be buying one

Sounds like a spinoff from Temple Grandin's work with cattle, using a padded cattle crush. She based her research on her own experiences as she has a mild form of autism, and she actually made a crush-type mechanism for herself to help calm her. The overall mild pressure on the body was like being hugged.

I might try a body wrap on Indy next time there's a storm - but I'll have to wait a few more months!

ETA: snap, denis :laugh: And to add: www.templegrandin.com

Fascinating stuff.

Edited by caffiend42

"The overall mild pressure on the body was like being hugged."

It is also interesting to note that many people with similar Autism to Temples report that light touches can be irritating or disturbing. If we extend the similarity to animals with phobias it might be an additional reason why pats exacberate the condition.other than the obvious behavioural reason.

My dad sent this through to me a while ago, he figured I might be able to use it for Top.

Top is very fearful during storms, loud rain, wind etc. He also freaks out mid-way through an agility run from being away from Darcy/me when OH is running him.

My dad sent this through to me a while ago, he figured I might be able to use it for Top.

Top is very fearful during storms, loud rain, wind etc. He also freaks out mid-way through an agility run from being away from Darcy/me when OH is running him.

whats your thoughts poocow,are you considering one?Would love to hear from someone who's actually got one

Scrimp is the same for storms and as he's got older wind and loud rain bothers him more too. His behavioural vet recommended teaching him "calm on command" - which is basically just patting him and saying "caaalm" when he is calm (ie not during a storm). I *think* it's effective, but it's not a solution on its own.

This anxiety wrap sounds interesting, I guess it'd be worth playing around with the idea before actually committing to buying one.

whats your thoughts poocow,are you considering one?Would love to hear from someone who's actually got one

I am considering it, but I don't have any cash right now (isn't that always the case lol).

I was actually going to go see Steve as Top has some other worrying behavioural issues such as chewing on his leg and licking his legs, feet, floor (well pretty much everything) compulsively. I just worried hes really stressed and I don't know why.

I got him at 18mths from SDH and hes always been a really worried dog.

For those of you who are interested in trying something similar try a t shirt on your dog with the front on his back. Pull all the looseness up with an elastic band on there back.

Try for about 10 mins at a time so they get used to it.

And for those who are able borrow the Tellington Touch book in the loan books thread.

Simple and effective. It will also show you some simple wraps that can be combined with the t shirt apparently.

For those of you who are interested in trying something similar try a t shirt on your dog with the front on his back. Pull all the looseness up with an elastic band on there back.

Try for about 10 mins at a time so they get used to it.

And for those who are able borrow the Tellington Touch book in the loan books thread.

Simple and effective. It will also show you some simple wraps that can be combined with the t shirt apparently.

My dear old boy Reagan was terribly thunder phobic and I used to use a T-shirt on him in storms. While it did not settle him totally, it reduced him from running through windows type of panic to being able to lay down with just some stress panting. Still not perfect, but a long way from where he was.

I started using it on him about 6years ago after hearing about T-Touch and the anxiety wraps. At the time the wraps were not around over here so someone from the US suggested the T-shirt idea. I managed to get some kids long sleeved t-shirts in about a size 6 that were a great fit for a male border collie.

At the time I was working in a special school and we had several kids with autism that we used deep pressure on. I had always called Reagan my autistic dog, so the wrap made perfect sense to me.

I have also seen on the web before instructions on how to use an elastic bandage to make a wrap. Will see if I can find it again and post it here.

eta: found the link. http://www.k9events.com/Carole_Bryant/Body...p_Anklewrap.pdf

Edited by piper

One of my foster carers purchased this anxiety wrap for her foster dog. The dog was very anxious having spent many years wandering without a home and surviving on garbage. ANyhow, the dog was storm phobic as well.

She found that the jacket stretched fairly quickly. She ended up using homeopathic remedies and found them to be good.

I use Xanax (anti anxiety med) from the vet for my storm phobic dogs. For my old dog who is constantly anxious about food and life (could be dementia too), he was keeping me up all night virtually but someone recommended I try Chinese herbs from the All Natural Vet at Russell Lea. Worked like magic and for the last 4 weeks, he's pretty much been sleeping most of the night, only getting up once or twice which is a huge improvement. They aren't cheap but they sure are worth it for me.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Due to forum rules and being a new member I don't want to push the wrap or any other product too much as self promotion is not allowed and I distribute the wrap here in Australia. I will say though that feedback on the whole has been very positive.

Initially the vet that I work with recommended various wrapping techniques that work in a similar fashion to swaddling a baby. Often though with time and effort at a premium or with other people caring for a dog, it is more convenient to have something that is there in a drawer ready to go with the positioning sorted for you. That was the reason we started to carry the wrap in stock. Bandages are definately an option though with care not to restrict the dog especially under the arms and at the rear end in case they need to go to the toilet.

Other things that are often helpful for stress situations are the DAP diffuser - a sort of plug in giving out dog like pheromones. Naturally there are quite a few options each working best for slightly different situations and also for different dogs. training, herbs, homeopathy, bach flowers, mist sprays, face wraps, acupuncture etc all work well at times.

I have heaps of factsheets (completely product recommendation free!) if anyone wants a copy on any dog health topic.

Vivienne

Edited by Vivienne Flower

Hi

Due to forum rules and being a new member I don't want to push the wrap or any other product too much as self promotion is not allowed and I distribute the wrap here in Australia. I will say though that feedback on the whole has been very positive.

Initially the vet that I work with recommended various wrapping techniques that work in a similar fashion to swaddling a baby. Often though with time and effort at a premium or with other people caring for a dog, it is more convenient to have something that is there in a drawer ready to go with the positioning sorted for you. That was the reason we started to carry the wrap in stock. Bandages are definately an option though with care not to restrict the dog especially under the arms and at the rear end in case they need to go to the toilet.

Other things that are often helpful for stress situations are the DAP diffuser - a sort of plug in giving out dog like pheromones. Naturally there are quite a few options each working best for slightly different situations and also for different dogs. training, herbs, homeopathy, bach flowers, mist sprays, face wraps, acupuncture etc all work well at times.

I have heaps of factsheets (completely product recommendation free!) if anyone wants a copy on any dog health topic.

Vivienne

have PM'd you