Has Anyone Seen This Before?

On Tuesday, my dog injured his leg. He was a fair distance away so I am not sure exactly what happened but he was running through the bush and then came squealing back to me holding up his hind leg. He didnt put any weight on it for a short while and then about an hour later he was running around normally. There are no cars where we were and there were no puncture wounds. He may have jumped and landed awkwardly.

Yesterday I noticed a large area of bruising that runs down the inside of the leg, across the abdomen and over his boy bit.

Has anyone seen this before? I am wondering what could have caused such bruising. Can dogs get sprains?

Possibly a muscle tear - I've seen a few of them with racing greyhounds. One of mine was chasing a ball at thepark one day and managed to tear muscles in both back legs - he was so badly bruised that he looked he had sat in a purple ink pad! I iced it and got him on to bioflavenoid tablets (from the health food shop) as they are wonderful for healing bruising. But, if you are in any doubt at all, seek reassurance from a vet.

Thanks for all the respones. No roo's in the area. It sounds like maybe it was a muscle tear.

The bruising is much better now. I did call the vet the next day but he said that if the dog is in no pain with no limp, he doesnt need to be seen. The vet would have just been guessing what happened like I am.

I've torn muscles - OUCH!!! And the bruising was still coming out 3 weeks later :confused: Comfrey cream helped. You can get it at your local Health Food store or chemist :)

Hope your boy is feeling much better now :)