Projectile Poo

RockyLover

hi everyone,

well i also have a foster puppy (4 monthsas well) who if he has slightly runny poo at all....it becomes projectile poo....kind of like projectile vomit in a baby!!!!! i have never seen an animal with this problem and want to know if anyone else has this projectile poo problem.

Its very embarrassing when people come over.......the other dogs have to rush to get away from the rear end of the pup or they will get splattered and makes toilet training inside the house A NIGHTMARE.....i have had projectile poo spanning up to 3 metres up my hallway....and the floor wasnt alone...the walls got covered too!!!!! lol

yes of course he has been wormed and flea treated and he gets to best food and everything he needs. we have been to vets about it and got some meds for him but so far still happening.... just thought other people might have same problem.

yes of course he has been wormed and flea treated and he gets to best food and everything he needs. we have been to vets about it and got some meds for him but so far still happening.... just thought other people might have same problem.

So what exactly is 'the best food and everything he needs'?

I am asking because not all foods suit all dogs and what one dog thrives on cannot be tolerated by another. For instance Supercoat or any food containing corn causes symptoms like those you describe in two of my dogs.

Edited by Miranda

I would be going to the vet, based on this post of yours just 2 min prior to starting this thread

i just wanted to share pictures of our gorgeous baby bailey who sadly passed away on monday from parvo. We rescued him from the pound on sunday and monday we rushed him to the vet.....and he didnt come home. was such a sad day...me and my partner cried all day. At least he didnt die in a cold conrete pen...he was all rugged up under the doona cuddled up to us....

RIP gorgeous baby bailey.

I would be going to the vet, based on this post of yours just 2 min prior to starting this thread
i just wanted to share pictures of our gorgeous baby bailey who sadly passed away on monday from parvo. We rescued him from the pound on sunday and monday we rushed him to the vet.....and he didnt come home. was such a sad day...me and my partner cried all day. At least he didnt die in a cold conrete pen...he was all rugged up under the doona cuddled up to us....

RIP gorgeous baby bailey.

Oh s**t I didn't see that post Sway :eek: Yes the vet asap.

yeah its all good...he has been to the vet...been tested...all clear and he is vaccinated too. we are keeping a very close eye on him though just in case. he has had some injections just in case over the last few days and he did have runny poo before but just went to projectile lately...we were feeding a good quality puppy dry food...different ones tried and some cooked meat with some vegies and pasta but now cause of this he is just on the dry food. we have elctrolytes in his water now too to help him and we have some pink medicine...cant think of name to try and settle the tumtum.

You can get a negetive reading from a Parvo test in the first few days

If you are getting puppies out of the pound you should have a concrete run that drains away from the other dogs, other dogs should not be allowed anywhere near puppies for 21 days

This is called Quaranteen

thanks miranda for the info about the supercoat....we did actually use that so its very handy to know...thanks heaps.

to anyone else who wants to give a lecture on poor bailey and quarantine and anything else...u dont know the circumstances so please dont assume anything or imply that we are irresponsible without knowing the details. i was simply asking if anyone else had this problem not looking for people to make me feel bad...especially at the moment when i already feel bad enough....

I think you might get more help you drop the attitude.

You haven't been lectured here at all, I think you may just be in defense mode because you're feeling down about all of this.

If it were my pup, I would be feeding it a bland diet i.e. cooked chicken and rice for a week along with the Peps. (Pink liquid) and if after a week it wasn't all cleared up then I'd be heading back to the Vets, if no luck there, I'd be finding a different Vet.

Rockylover,

I'm very sorry for the loss - I know how you feel, and its an awful place to be. Be kind to yourself, and let the negative thoughts go. Good on you for cuddling till the end - I applaude you for your love and kindness.

Now to the poo problem. I havent heard of that before, and it must be quite distressing for the puppy as well as you.

May I suggest that you go to the vets, or stockfeeds place, SOME petshops, and get something called Protexin. Its a probiotic specifically for animals, and its a bit like Inner Health Plus powder or capsules for humans. It balances the good and bad bacteria in the gut, and at the first hint of runny poo, this is what I reach for. It can be given without any ill effects for quite some time. Its in tiny 2gm sachets and you give one sachet each day - mixed with food or water. Mine lap it out of a bowl, but I have had to gently syringe it into the edge of the mouth, into the cheek pocket.

I also agree with the suggestion of bland diet for a couple of days. It can take a couple of days for the tummy to settle down before it starts to get better. This is the same reason that you give a new diet for quite a few days before you may see any improvement. Not sure if you are doing this. Could you indicate what brands of food you are using? I have had good success using premium foods for "sensitive" dogs. Premium foods have much better nutrients with little or no "fillers" in it. Because its really good quality, most of the food is absorbed and there is less "output". This may help with the projectile end of the situation.

Did you get the dog from a breeder? If so, you should contact them to see if any of the other pups in the litter might have similar issues. They may be able to shed some light on the problem for you.

I do hope the problem is soon resolved. A pup who has runny poo can dehydrate very quickly, and this can be a pretty big issue, pretty quick. Do you know how to check if a pup is dehydrated? Its quite easy.

One other thing that you could do is to roll the pup onto its back, in good light, and have a look at the tummy near the hind legs, where you can see the skin. If its red and blotchy, you may have a problem. Not blotchy as in a mark from where they have been lying, I mean blotchy like a faint measles rash on a human. It should be just ordinary dog skin coloured.

Hope this helps. Be kind to yourself and keep searching for an answer. If you feel that your vet isn't quite doing it for you - please get a 2nd opinion. I have found a wide variation in the capability levels, and we all have off-days.

Garloch.

hi everyone,

well i also have a foster puppy (4 monthsas well) who if he has slightly runny poo at all....it becomes projectile poo....kind of like projectile vomit in a baby!!!!! i have never seen an animal with this problem and want to know if anyone else has this projectile poo problem.

Its very embarrassing when people come over.......the other dogs have to rush to get away from the rear end of the pup or they will get splattered and makes toilet training inside the house A NIGHTMARE.....i have had projectile poo spanning up to 3 metres up my hallway....and the floor wasnt alone...the walls got covered too!!!!! lol

hi garloch,

thankyou so much for your great advice and for not 'assuming things'. i will take verything u said on board. can i ask you what the blotchey skin near the back legs indicates? the dry food is purina supercoat for puppies. also we have bought electrolytes for his water to hel;p with the dehydration. apart from projectile poo...he is in good spirits and running around going psycho still...lol

Did the Vet test the puppy for Coccidia?

To resolve the issue if it is a dietary thing will take some time, but I would be stopping with the commercial food right now and resting the pups tummy for 24 hrs, just electrolytes and a probiotic as Garloch has suggested.

Then small meals of cooked chicken.

You say you have tried different foods, sometimes any change of diet is enough to cause tummy upset in a young pup.

I would stop all grains and slowly introduce one item at a time into the diet, so you can see exactly what he was eating if

he gets upset again.

Some dogs are very sensitive to grains and a dog food containing grains combined with pasta could well be just too much.

I am not assuming anything love but have been in this game for awhile and your really need to talk to your animal co ordinator for these kind of questions, that is what they are there for

Your pup is not quaranteened if he is running around your house and yard and unless you want house and yard infected for up to 3 years

Three things I've learned - Never assume; always treat people the way you would like your grandmother to be treated; and knowledge is power - just be careful how you use that power.

The blotchey skin around the abdomen can indicate that there is septicaemia or other similar type of infection. Maybe blood poisoning. Either way, a trip to the vet is definately warranted if its blotchy.

Purina is a premium food. You can look at the nutrition panel on the side, and see what the main ingredients are. That is how you tell the difference between one brand and the next. Took me quite a while to find the best food to suit one of mine who gets itchy. There are quite a few people who advocate feeding a raw diet, and this may be what your pup needs if his poo-ing is related to a diet sensitivity. (Think someone else already mentioned grains, which lots of pups are allergic to.) If you feel good about the advice of your vet, and your "gut feeling" about their advice is good - go with it. If not, seek 2nd opinion.

Have a search on some of the forums here regarding foods - some great advice. May I suggest that you should research parvo and talk to your vet about what you can do to disinfect your home and garden, and whether the vaccinations your pup has had, are enough to protect it against possible infection. Parvo can live dormant in the soil (under the "right" conditions for between 7 and 10 years, but can also be spread by the spores being whipped up in the wind. That's why parvo "seems" seasonal. Breaks out here every spring.

Running around being psycho is good though. If they have enough energy to be psycho, they can't feel too bad. Just remember that pups get sick very quickly, but generally get better very quickly too. Hope the problem is fixed soon.

hi garloch,

thankyou so much for your great advice and for not 'assuming things'. i will take verything u said on board. can i ask you what the blotchey skin near the back legs indicates? the dry food is purina supercoat for puppies. also we have bought electrolytes for his water to hel;p with the dehydration. apart from projectile poo...he is in good spirits and running around going psycho still...lol

The one thing I picked up on was that you had tried a number of foods. From my experience of owning a dog blessed with a 'delicate stomach' - changes in diet can cause the runs - even just giving treats was enough. I have found this has resolved by switching to a food with no grains in it. Try and avoid lamb and roo in the meantime too.

If he has food sensitivity then I personally would be avoiding any food brought in the supermarket or from Hills.

Is there any blood in the poo?

thanks veryone for all your advice. in hindisght i probably should have explained my self a little better. i wasnt neccessarily looking for solutions to the problem as we are taking the advice of the vet but rather i was looking for people who might have had the same problem who could share funny stories with me...to cheer me up a little. sorry for not thoroughly explaining the whole situation. i did learn some great things though...which we can use in the future for any doggies with an upset tummy.

i have asked the site administrator to remove me from DOL as i have found many people can misinterpret what you write and things dont always come across the way you intended them too which has caused me to get a little upset...so i will just make the expansive phone calls now anytime i have a query instead. DOL is a great place for dog lovers to learn and share with each other and i hope in the future that new people are welcomed with open arms. thanks to the select fwe who did...u know who u are...esp garloch.

RockyLover, I think you should reconsider. Looks like you just got off on the wrong foot with the forum. Remember, the people whose posts you didn't like were only concerned that your projectile-poo pup may have been infected by the pup who just died. They were only concerned about your dog.

Why don't you stick around? Sounds like you do a brilliant job fostering dogs and I'm sure you could find a lot of support on these forums.

Good luck either way!