Getting Started In Dog Sports

Hi all,

I have a 4 y/o husky (very big, over the breed standard) who is still a little bit overweight. In the next couple of months though, after he's finished losing weight, i would like to start taking him to obedience and agility but i don't really know how to start. Are there any clubs around parramatta, epping or castle hill and is there anything i can do to get him started with it (training etc i could do at home)?

Also, what can i expect at a club?

Hi all,

I have a 4 y/o husky (very big, over the breed standard) who is still a little bit overweight. In the next couple of months though, after he's finished losing weight, i would like to start taking him to obedience and agility but i don't really know how to start. Are there any clubs around parramatta, epping or castle hill and is there anything i can do to get him started with it (training etc i could do at home)?

Also, what can i expect at a club?

You can start obedience with an overweight dog. No need to wait for that an some obedience will help with agility. There already some sibes running in agility in Sydney. :love:

Yes, there are all kinds of dog training/sports clubs in your area.. but you'll need a Sydneysider to point you in the right direction.

I can't talk about the Sydney clubs but with most, you pay either an annual fee or weekly for classes, working up the levels of training as you become proficient. At volunteer clubs, instruction is mixed but you have some good clubs in your area.

There are agility clubs in Castle Hill and Parramatta, and Obedience in Homebush, I think Castle Hill?, Concord and probably others too :o

I'll see if I can dig up details unless someone beats me to it

Shell - Orbit and I are about to start agility hopefully in the next month or so. We're going to go this one at castle hill more than likely. It runs on thursday nights and you can join up on the first and third thurs of the month.

As for obedience, we were going to Brush Farm and it wasn't too bad. It runs on sunday afternoons which was really cutting into my work, so we aren't going anymore, though a friend from work may start training him for me with his wife and their dog.

The only thing to watch about Agility Dog Club of NSW is that it is REALLY crowded. I used to go but don't anymore as the number of dogs in close proximity makes me nervous. My experience with Zoe has gotten me a bit paranoid :o Kaos is alright, but doesn't like dogs in his face, and I found this a bit crowded for my liking.

If you find somewhere to take Jedi, let me know TerraNik! You can teach me how you trained him to do all those tricks!!

I think we're just about ready to try agility, though a weight in on saturday will tell me for sure. He could probably stand to lose some more kilos - but his back is solid and you can feel his spine, though not his ribs unless you really dig in - i was told that when i could run my fingers up his sides and feel his ribs with a little bit of pressure that he was the right weight.

I think i'll step up his obedience at home for a couple of weeks and see how he does...

I train at Parramatta and really enjoy it. This winter we have had quite a few weeks where there were only 4 or 5 of us in the class which is great, you get so much assistance, especially if there are 2 or 3 trainers taking the class. It is slightly more crowded during summer but still works out to be 1 trainer for every 7 or 8 people.

I also train at Springwood (and Im an instructor there) but I much rather Parramatta. There are some very experienced trainers who are very knowledgeable and helpful. The beginners course that Parramatta run looks really good (Ive never actually done it) but Sidoney was one of the ones who helped write it so she may be able to tell you more.

Last time I checked out Hornsby Dog Training - about 2 years ago - they trained for pet obedience not trialling. I am interested in trialling so didn't end up training with them but watched a couple of classes. Lots of time in a circle.

I am currently giving Northern Suburbs a go for obedience (they train at St Ives) as they train to trial - depending on whether I get the same instructor as last week or not.

Western Suburbs I liked for obedience, and hope to get back there once training in the evening is possible again (at the moment a bit hectic in evenings with baby).

Hmmmm....

I might have to go and have a look at a few different places. I think i might have to go and do some obedience work with him first anyway - his recall is terrible atm!

I was about to suggest that Shell.. find out when training times are on and go and have a look. :laugh:

For the moment I think i want to focus on his commands and us working together rather than looking foward to trialing so I'll have a look at hornsby on sunday and see what happens. It's not expensive to join or for classes so i'll just have a look and if i want to start trialing with him later i can try a different club.

How exciting!

I was going to join Hornsby and then never got around to it. I tried joining Northern Suburbs but everytime I went on the correct day to join they would use every excuse and just kept turning me away. So I gave up on the obedience thing.

I just showed up to Northern Suburbs, said I wanted to join the trialling class, and off I went :)

It was a couple of years ago for me. I had a great club down at Raby that I did obedience with Darcy in and wanted to keep it going when I moved back home. But it was just too much effort - then I was working weekends so sat and sun classes were out. Back for working Mon-Fri for the time being so agility on a Sat at Manly suits now. Darcy has more fun at agility anyway.