Trainer Needed For A Friend

Long story, but basic are

my daughter's girlfriend got a dog trainer around to assist her with teaching her dogs to behave better on lead for walks.

He told her that the dog is not punished unless it yelps. she said that they made good progress with the lead issues and pulling. :rolleyes:

and in the next breath said that the dog wouldn't get on the bed last night as usual to sleep.

at least my daughter told her almost word for word what I would have. all they have managed to do is scare the witts out of the poor dog and leave it confused and frightend.

daughter told her to change trainers as causeing a dog pain was no way to train it, and recommended that she get a prong collar to assist her with training, until the dogs where trained to walk properly. these are too good natured dog, but they are large and pull when on lead.

this guy was recommended by someone at an obedience club :confused: .

edited to change title, I was venting but recommendations for a good trainer would be helpful

Edited by Caesars mum

For Brisbane, I'd suggest Jane Harper. I haven't met with her yet but she was highly recommened to me.

There's a few more in the area - others will suggest.

Obedience school may also be an option. Logan All Breeds is quite cheap. Although they do use slip collars, but you don't have to yank so hard that your dog yelps. Different dogs need different levels of correction, that's up to you (the dog owner) to suss out, with assistance.

Argh - this is what happened to me. I was recommended a trainer who taught with corrections rather than praise. He told me he would clicker train, put a choke chain on Zero and pulled till he threw up.

Friends of mine had booked appointments with the trainer and quickly cancelled them after i told them what had happened.

Good on your daughter for giving her friend some sound advice!