Fighting....

Yesterday evening Beau and Ernie got in a fight. I was inside, OH was out, I heard the initial grumblings and - silly me - thought OH would be able to put an end to it. It quickly escalated to a very aggressive fight. OH grabbed Beau and I grabbed Ernie. I didn't realise at the time but Ernie got a small cut on his ear :laugh:

We tried having them both inside, but Ernie was straight up in Beau's face and it was on again.

We separated them for the night and most of today. Ernie has been very clingy, and Beau has been his usual self, but getting in between me and Ernie when he can.

Talking to OH after the first episode, there was a bone involved. (I took this away the first time) now it seems the can't be near each other. I have only just let them both inside, and they have had a grumble at each other, but I was there so it didn't go any further.

My questions are -

1. What has changed in the last couple of days?

2. What can I do to control this situation? (all bones are removed from the yard and they won't be together unsupervised)

3. What do you think is going on? I believe it is Beau asserting his authority over Ernie, from what I saw Enie was the initiatior of both fights, maybe he put out now Beau is maturing?

Details -

Beau 13 month old GR - entire show dog

Ernie 5yo terrier x - desexed at 12 months

Gypsie 4.5yo Cavalier (spoilt brat - wasn't involved as such but was stirred up by the whole thing.)

OH - passive with the dogs, probably under most of them in the pack :rolleyes:

me - I try to be the leader, I have never had an issue like this before. I have done lots of reading and heard some interesting opinions (professional and otherwise) on the subject, but I am not sure what to believe/take on board.

GG

goldengirl, i would strongly suggest that you get an experienced behaviourist in to properly assess the situation. I see many cases of inter dog aggression where it has started for one reason (a bone for example) but is then ongoing even without the initial cause still being present. It is much more difficult to resolve if the dogs have been practicing any aggressive behaviour/ fighting for a period of time before seeking help and so much easier if nipped in the bud straight away. How to do that effectively will depend on the dogs, owners and the living situation.

ruddy bones can cause heaps of trouble and then things go on...who said dogs forget? In my experience they don't really. You need some help, hope someone can suggest for someone suitable to come to your place soon as cosmolo suggested. So food doesn't become an issue meantime feed separately and rid the garden of bones. Try to relax, if they were mates before they probably will be again. Some days dogs have off days just like we do, keep your wits about you. Make sure you and your man take them out walking together....with you guys between them

Thanks Ruski and cosmolo,

I will do just that. I want to stop this right here and now before we have any more issues.

Cosmolo I think you are right, it seems to have initially been the bone and has continued from there.

ATM they are both clamly sitting beside me - i need to restore that peace!

Thanks,

GG

Yep! That sounds like him!

Sigh..... i am making some phonecalls today so hopefully we can have it sorted ASAP.

Great! Ernie just cocked his leg inside - on the corner of our bed

He is stating a fact to the other dog - "giving him "the finger" ,if you like".... this is MINE !!!

OOps :rolleyes: