Puppy Almost Drowned

PandaGirl

So my Daisy is just learning to swim and today she got the courage to go swimming in the lagoon at our local dog park for the first time! yay! So she's swimming around and having a lovely time, the next thing I know she's drowning! She'd gotten tipped up on her butt and couldn't get level again and panicked. Our other stupid dog wasn't helping, he kept trying to save her and ended up pushing her under a few times. I ended up swimming to her in the gross water and pushed her over so she could swim back. Scariest thing ever!

So to my point,

Is this likely to stop her from swimming again? Also is there anything I need to keep an eye out for health wise?

Normally she is on lead, but we were at the off leash park and she's never wanted to swim there before so we never thought about it. Will invest in a lighter leash for lagoon swimming. She's got a long rope for the beach but it's heavy when it's wet which isn't much of an issue 'cause I'm always in the water with her there. Can't do that at the dog park.

I know a bit about human drowning like that.....I would watch her for things like coughing and possibly lethargy. If she didn't cough straight after though and swam in she's probably fine.

One of my pugs doesn't like going in the water at the beach anymore since she got dumped by a small wave....but she still goes in when it's calm. I think if your other dogs are fine about swimming then the pup will most likely still follow suit.

Now- correct me if I'm wrong- but I believe it is easier to stay afloat in salt water? I THINK a friend told me his dog used to swim in the sea/lagoons- but then nearly drowned in a freshwater pond!

he also mentioned some big-chested dogs tend to overbalance, too- he has an English Pointer who just cannot swim comfortably...

Hope your pup is ok.

Dirty water, if inhaled, may cause a lung infection, or sinus infection....

Best of luck for her, I know that the chemist has drops for babies ears that dry up excess water, maybe ask your vet if they are ok to use.

My pugs have life jackets, like bricks, they sink very quickly..

it has taken a while for my girl to get used to swimming - but we visit the lagoon all the time and she cant resist. i always keep a curtain cord on her to prevent her swiming too far out or incase i need to get her back quickly for any reason...

i doubt it will have any lasting impression on the pup, it will depend on how you reacted mostly...

after this experience you need to get her back into a dog pool as soon as you can..........have on a life vest an and lead in a controlled environment......let the attendant know what happened so you can once again associate water and swimming as a good thing........for the time being i would invest in a life vest for your pup until she is confident swimmer that way if she gets dunked or gets tired she will not nearly drown.........

hope all is ok

:thumbsup:

I wasn't aware of any dog pools in Darwin? She went in up to her legs yesterday, but was more interested in playing with the other dogs. Once we fished her out, I just dried her off a little bit and let her go so I didn't make a big deal out of it.