Lead Or Harness?

~Aimee~

I only ever walk Cavaliers on a Harness, NEVER EVER EVER a collar and a lead.

One reason is they are a semi Bracycephalic breed and you can restrict their airways to much especially when they are still learning NOT to pull. Also, take into account how many of them have soft Palette issues.

My dogs chiropractor also feels very strongly about this and rouses on all Cav owners that use collars and leads.

If you have an old dog that plods along and puts no force on the collar, well it may be a different story, however from one cav person to another, I promote Harnesses all the way.

All of my kids are rehomed with a harness and the owners are told NO COLLARS AND LEADS PLEASE!!!!

The best harnesses you can buy in my opinion, and my chiros are the puppia soft mesh style. You can get them in pretty prints and lots of funky colours.

Check out 'two small puppies' as they have an AWESOME range to choose from and the best price iv ever seen Puppia at. Email Erin from two small puppies, tell her its for a cav and she will give you lots and lots of recommendations.

Good luck

Kyla

Hi,

My dogs are very small but they walk very well on a lead. I know people say they training a dog to walk on a harness or lead isnt good but I found that it works for my dogs. When i first brought them for a walk they both pulled a little, now after a tiny tug when they pulled they both walk loose leash are quite happy walking with their harness on.

:laugh: Goodluck

the harness just gives them more pulling strength.

That's right. Initially I was using car harnesses to walk my dogs and they just found it easier to pull.

My boxer is very good at getting out of her collars tho, so when I use a halty with her I still double click it onto her collar just for a bit more security.

This is where I find the Lupi more convenient. Like Halti, Lupi is also meant to stop dogs from pulling. However, it's near impossible for a dog to get out of the Lupi, so I find it safer.

Whats the diff between lupi harness and normal harness ?

My boxer is very good at getting out of her collars tho, so when I use a halty with her I still double click it onto her collar just for a bit more security.

That's why I use martingales/limited slip collars - my dog can get out of any flat collar (and he backed out of his halti too, as well as pulling hard enough to break the clasp). Dog's can't back out of martingales and I use ones with no clasps, so they can't be broken :)

I took my little guy on his first walk today... he was using a collar and was a little bit scared of the whole experience so he didn't want to go anywhere.... when i pulled him a little he whimpered so i quickly ran home and put his harnest on.. he seemed alot better with the harnest and seemed to calm down a bit :) eventually im going to walk him off lead when he gets older so temporarily the harnest is good...

I took my little guy on his first walk today... he was using a collar and was a little bit scared of the whole experience so he didn't want to go anywhere.... when i pulled him a little he whimpered so i quickly ran home and put his harnest on.. he seemed alot better with the harnest and seemed to calm down a bit :) eventually im going to walk him off lead when he gets older so temporarily the harnest is good...

As long as its only in areas that are designated off lead areas :mad It's illegal to walk dogs off leash anywhere but the designated areas, and the council will fine you for it.

As long as its only in areas that are designated off lead areas :mad It's illegal to walk dogs off leash anywhere but the designated areas, and the council will fine you for it.

Yep :o

There's a great dog walk 5 mins drive from me at the base of Mt Cootha (brisbane) :D

We recently bought an Ezydog harness for Bailey. It's really good, particularly for car travel. We go out a lot with him and it's great to just put him in the car, clip on the seat belt restraint, unclip the lead, and do the reverse at our destination. He walks comfortably in it, and is safer than a collar when attached in the car. :thumbsup:

Whats the diff between lupi harness and normal harness ?

A normal harness secures the dog and allows the dog to use the strength of his entire body for pulling. A Lupi (it's a brand name) works by converting forward motion into an upward lift and so stops pulling. However, unlike Halti (which is a head harness), Lupi is difficult to get out of since it has a figure eight structure and goes over the chest.

Here is a link to the product: http://www.petsunleashed.com.au/Product/lupi-harness

Agree with Tony. Do the intital work at home - I begin the pups on lead in my hallway, when they are good on lead there, move to the garden, and they don't go out until they understand not to pull or lag. I teach them to "heel" off lead before I put a lead on them. They aren't heeling well, but they are learing to walk with me, so by the time the lead goes on, they know what to do.

If they pull, I say "uh uh" or their name, and when they stop, or look at me, I praise them immediately.

I always begin them on a flat collar, and then continue with a flat collar, or a martingale or check chain -- depending on the dog. Each is different.