Flip Finish And Drop From A Distance

Guest Tess32

Guest Tess32

Think I won't bother from the sounds of it. He does the around finish nicely so think I will keep it.

Now to work on drop, hehe.

How relaxed should they be in a stay? I've only trained up to about 30 seconds and he looks like he's dying to rush at me for the entire time. He doesn't move an inch, but he looks like he will!

I like them nice and relaxed. Nothing worse then standing in a trial and your dog looks like it is going to move the whole time.

Poor Poppy had some very good proofing this week. The damn cat was being a total pain! At one stage her eyes were bogging out and I turned around and naughty kitty was about to eat her treats!!

I only taught the flip finish because we have to do it as part of our assessment at dog club.

I get nervous if they start looking relaxed! I prefer the focus to be on me, or the direction that I left in.

Never been afraid the dog will break for me..............just other playfull dogs (cause mine is).

I think a lot of these things are just personal preference. We all know our dogs.

Guest Tess32

Yay, did some drop from distance just then and I'm not about 6 feet away and he's dropping on verbal! All because I 'explained' to him using my stop signal and then told him to drop, few of those and now he seems to get it - got 5 in a row correct.

How relaxed should they be in a stay? I've only trained up to about 30 seconds and he looks like he's dying to rush at me for the entire time. He doesn't move an inch, but he looks like he will!

Hmm interesting question...... going into a stand for exam - I used to pat my dogs and say gentle good boy........this worked for a while - but one trial Scoota came out with new batteries and it didn't matter how much I tried to get him to settle it just wasn't going to happen and of course the judge walked towards him, his tail went WAG WAG WAG and he moved all 4 feet. :worship:

I went for a lesson and Guru Sue suggested.........instead of trying to get him to settle - do the opposite - rev him up until he is bursting at the seams and then ask for a stand. Well he moved the first couple of times, but getting the tusty clicker out, I now have a really reliable stand, where he can wag his tail at a zillion miles an hour - but all 4 feet stay firmly planted on the ground. :thumbsup:

Guest Tess32

That's interesting....

Stand for exam will be hard, but I'm hoping showing helps with that. Noah's really into people so will be hard to get him to not move.

Edited by Tess32

Interesting on the stand. May have to try that - Diesel's stand for exam could use some improvement :worship: He will lean and mooch all over the examiner, and of course move his feet. I am currently getting people just to walk around him, he is ok with that, it seems to be when he knows they are going to approach him, he gets all excited :thumbsup:

What Jules and Ptolomy are saying with regards to the flip finish is exactly why I don't use it. I'm so glad someone else actually agrees with me about this. Sometimes I feel like obedience has become a whole different world from the late 80s early 90s when I was last involved in it.

Jules I love playing with the round the back finishes, such fun to be able to walk along and have a dog trot round you from heel position to heel position especially when they're almost dancing with delight themselves.

My girl wouldn't stay in the stand for exam either, she'll still wobble sometimes due to her injury. I've found just being patient and only praising her for standing solid helps if she moves I just go back to the heel position and heel off and try again. She understands now and you can see her trying so hard to stay still in stand for exam. She generally gets between 8 and 10 now as sometimes she just can't help but shift a foot when the judge makes contact. She tries so hard though.

As for stays I prefer madame to relax, as though she only very rarely breaks it's when she's being alert and perky that she does. I stand there in the stays thinking 'now just have a little doze would you.' :laugh: I know most people don't want that but if she breaks it's always up not down, weird creature only dog I've ever had that has a greater tendency to get up than to flop.

Tess Noah sounds like such a bright spark, I thought he was only around 9 months but hey you're doing distance control he must be older. :laugh: He sounds like my heart boy he was a little bright spark too. He was training open at 14 months and begging for more. In hindsight probably not the best idea but I was only 13 then. He loved to work, he was such fun and such a pleasure to train. They're great fun aren't they?

Edited by Natsu chan

Guest Tess32

He is only 9 months :) He's just eager, hehe. Definitely my heart boy already, he's just amazing. You couldn't get a happier, sweeter dog :p

I may have overdone it on the drops though...everywhere i go he drops!