The Correct Way To Walk Dogs On Leash?

For informal 'exercise' walking, I don't care where my dogs are as long as they don't pull on the lead. Generally they are in front of me.

For a controlled or 'heel' postion, I'd like to see the dog's head by my LEFT (not right as in the linky) hand side level with my left leg.

Personally I think that dog's check chain is too long but I don't walk my dogs on one anyway.

For informal 'exercise' walking, I don't care where my dogs are as long as they don't pull on the lead. Generally they are in front of me.

Wouldn't that confused them as to where they are in the pack?

Well not if the dog KNOWS the difference between “HEEL” or “With ME” and (in my case) Off you go! meaning they are free to do as they like as long as they DON’T Pull or cross over in front or behind me, I walk 2 dogs one on each side GSD always on my left and Maremma on the right so they both Know their own words, Heel GSD and With Me for the Maremma so each dog knows when it has broken the rules and then has to be at my side until I decide it is OK for it go back to being controlled BUT free-ish when on lead.

Did any of that make sense? I hope so :)

Unless I am doing formal heel work I don't care where they walk as long as they are not pulling. I generally have them on my left out of habit.

Ditto. I prefer to have them on left for the same reason (habit).

Wouldn't that confused them as to where they are in the pack?

Why? The fact that I dictate the pace and they don't pull suggests to me that they know who's in charge on a walk.

I like that I can see where they are without breaking my neck to look. As they are all below my knee height, it sure beats falling over them. :)

I don't think there is such a thing as *the correct* way to walk the dog on leash, unless it's for competitive obedience.

I also don't belive that their position while walking has anything to do with the "pack order".

Mines are mostly in front of me and as long as they are not pulling it's all good.

How loose is a 'loose leash'?

If your dog is in front off you - what is it using as a reference point to know where it should be without pulling - does is just continue to creep forward until there is some tension on the lead that it can feel? Or is it close enough to you that it can use it's peripheral vision to check your leg position and base it's position on your leg position?

Do you teach loose leash walking based on WHERE the dog is or how the leash FEELS ?

My problem - I seem to have taught my dog to walk so that there's just the slighterst amount of tension on the lead and he'll position himself based on the tension on the lead.

If the lead is short he'll be by my side, if it's longer, he'll be slightly ahead. Most of the time with some small amount of tension in the lead.

I agree with the others... I don't care where my dog walks as long as he's not pulling or trying to go in the opposite direction! He knows "here" where he's required to come back into me closer (not necessarily in heel position). Then when I give him the okay he can go wherever. He is so used to coming back in when he has pulled that he almost does it automatically now!!!! "Woops, I pulled... better go back to her side!"

How loose is a 'loose leash'?

If your dog is in front off you - what is it using as a reference point to know where it should be without pulling - does is just continue to creep forward until there is some tension on the lead that it can feel? Or is it close enough to you that it can use it's peripheral vision to check your leg position and base it's position on your leg position?

Do you teach loose leash walking based on WHERE the dog is or how the leash FEELS ?

My problem - I seem to have taught my dog to walk so that there's just the slighterst amount of tension on the lead and he'll position himself based on the tension on the lead.

If the lead is short he'll be by my side, if it's longer, he'll be slightly ahead. Most of the time with some small amount of tension in the lead.

There should be no tension at all, when I walk mine I keep on checking that they are always there because it feels like I'm holding nothing :thumbsup:

I use limited slip collars or martingales.

Do they get the chance for a good run before having to go on the leash? I have never own a whippet before but I think getting most of the energy out of the way would be important, then they might walk nicely on the leash.

(Maybe drive to an off leash park for their run if it's safe).

I do that too!!!!!!!! It's as if his collar has slipped!!!

:thumbsup: That makes me laugh, I have this image of a person walking down the street all happy not realising they are just dragging around a lead with a collar attached!