Foods And Supplements That Boost The Immune System

So often here we read of dogs with skin problems, allergies, ear infections and general health issues - most of which are brought about by a lowered immune system.

I have had 3 golden retrievers over the past few years and each of them has had issues with skin or ears and all the reading I have done about these conditions has pointed to a lowered immune system which makes them susceptible to the skin and ear issues.

All my Goldies were rescues from the pound or RSPCA.

My first Goldie was a badly neglected boy, seriously underweight with mange and dreadful ear infections (which turned out to be chronic). I suspect this dog may have been used for breeding.

The second Goldie has been reasonably healthy, other than requiring two cruciate ligament ops within 8 months, and we have since found out he has hip dysplasia. He was orignially from a reputable breeder and his health is generally very good, however he has had a couple of hotspots lately which we have put down to a lowered immune system after having two major operations in a short period of time.

My third Goldie (RIP) was about 6 months old and underweight when I got him from the pound - he turned out to have allergy issues which we managed to get on top of.

So, as I have had to deal with a lot ear infections and skin allegies, I have done a lot of reading and research on how to avoid these problems in the future. I am by no means an expert but I am a huge advocate of natural therapies. I am NOT adverse to conventional treatments at all, they certainly have their place but I am keen to emphasise that these treatments generally treat the symptoms, not the cause.

Anyway, while Goldies are known to often have allery issues, there are a lot of other posters here with other breeds of dogs with ear and skin/allergy issues - and as a general rule, these are resultant of a lowered immune system, whatever that reason may be.

So, I am thinking we should make a list of all the best foods, supplements and treatments we can try on our dogs to boost their immune systems, thereby having happier healthier dogs and lower vet bills.

So to start with, antibiotics and steroids are known to lower the immune system and should generally be used as a short term solution.

The following is what I now use for food:

Raw meat and meaty bones (mostly chicken carcasses and lamb/beef bones)

Eggs

Yoghurt

Sardines

Vegies (usually roast pumpkin, sweet potato, and left over veges from dinner)

Kibble is usually Ziwipeak but sometimes Bonnie Lite or Coprice, depending on where the dog is healthwise at the time but used as a last resort ie when I'm lazy because no one is perfect! :laugh:

Supplements:

3 fish oil capsules daily (mercury tested, and these are not expensive)

Glucosamine 1500 with Chondroitin

Mega Oil - a combination of Omega 3 and 6 oils - and used every few months but not on a regular basis.

Duralactin Canine (dried milk protein tablets)

Daily exercise, kind words, love and attention with the odd bit of grooming in there :)

I also do not vaccinate yearly, but only do so if I need to kennel dogs as a last resort.

Anyway, I am keen to hear what others use and can recommend to boost and enhance a dog's natural immune system in order to promote general health and well being.

I believe this is such a basic but most important aspect of a dog's general health and well being that a lot of people are just not aware of and yet it is not difficult nor expensive to achieve.

Please share your ideas, hints, tips and knowledge to help us have healthier and happpier pooches :(

I am not too keen on vaccinating my dog as well. In fact, he had gone without it for 6 yrs until he had to travel to Australia and it was mandatory for him so as to stay in the quarantine centre. Having been a survivor of parvovirus at 4 mths old (2 days after his 2nd vaccination), I decided to boost his immunity naturally with supplements rather than going for vaccinations.

I use supplements you have mentioned. To add on, I give my mini schnauzer a dose of super greens on alternate days. Super greens like spirulina and wheatgrass are great for detoxing the liver. When I was feeling richer, I ever ordered some Amazonia herbs for my dog as well. I think Pau d'arco and Sangra de Draco are pretty strong natural herbs for immunity boosting. I also have bovine colostrum as a back-up.

Nothing beats a raw diet but me being me, I give him a meal of premium kibbles in the morning and raw diet at night. I am just too worried about missing out on some minerals. I have been giving him Goji berries as treats since he is a little bubba.

I also strongly believe in keeping my precious baby happy. I think dogs are so easily contented and they thrive for us when we make an effort to love them :(

Forgot to mention also, to avoid preservatives and food colourings where possible - eg in some supermarket brand kibble and certain treats. Some dogs will react quite badly to these.

I was asked what treats I give my dog the other night at the dog park, because I had some 8 dogs all sitting at my feet. Only one of which was mine!

I explained I used Ziwipeak dog food (not treat food) - $28 for a kilo and a few people said that was far too expensive for them to buy. I tried in earnest to explain the pieces were tiny, extremely flavourful without using anything artificial and that it was actually very good value where treats were concerned. Alas, some people will just look at price first and nutritional value last - never mind the actual monetary value long term!

I believe garlic is great for the immune system.

Yes but only is small amounts and is dependant on the size of the dog to how much as it can be toxic if too much is given.

AF - I have been wondering how is Dougal responding to the Duralactin Canine (dried milk protein tablets)

Ok well we have been to hell and back with Benson, to the point that the homeopathic vet we just saw today (possibly for the last time) was amazed at how good he is doing since 6 mths ago. Back then he said you could light a match next to this dog and he would just go up cause his coat was virtually no existant, coarse and brittle - like straw.

So anyway what has helped my GR are the following

3 visits to the homeopathic vet (today included) where he provided us with remedies each time.

Mega Oil - now he is a 38kg dog (not over weight - just tall) so for first 4mths 50ml a day, and now reduced to 30mls a day (6mths on)

Dr Bruce's Health Booster

Orijen Food - 1 cups a day now - half morn/night

A bone each day - chicken frames, necks (6 in a bag frozen together), turkey necks, brisket bones or soap bones - once in a while a marrow bones.

And Malesba shampoo.

Have you considered that the allergy issues may be food related? Vet told us that Goldies are known to have allergies to beef products (eg mince beef) and corn. Since we've changed the diet for our little Goldie she's improved somewhat. So I'd advise to stay away from foods with high corn/wheat content. Also, agree that garlic is good for immune system too.

Have you considered that the allergy issues may be food related? Vet told us that Goldies are known to have allergies to beef products (eg mince beef) and corn. Since we've changed the diet for our little Goldie she's improved somewhat. So I'd advise to stay away from foods with high corn/wheat content. Also, agree that garlic is good for immune system too.

Orijen food contains no grains and no beef - I find during the warmer months that beef seem to make my boy itch more - see beef is not metabolised by the body as easily as chicken.

Do try adding to your Goldies diet a little mega oil though - how old and what does she weigh? I noticed a dramatic difference in coat and skin condition after going through 2 x 500ml bottles!

Edit - also did you know we have our own thread in the breed sub forum, there are alot of us Goldie lovers in there! Please pop in say hello and put a piccie of your girl up on the thread k! :laugh: :laugh:

Sorry I can not type for crap today :laugh:

Edited by First Time Puppy Owner

Or, are allergies caused by an overactive immune system, reacting to things that an otherwise 'normal' dog wouldn't?

All the reading I have done has suggested a lowered immune system is usually the cause behind allergies and ear infections - that is, that dogs would cope better being exposed to foods that are high allergen should their immune system be in peak condition. The many vets I have spoken to over the years have told me the same.

However I am always keen to learn more so if you can point me in the direction where I can learn more about your theory stormie, I would be most interested :laugh:

Or, are allergies caused by an overactive immune system, reacting to things that an otherwise 'normal' dog wouldn't?

All the reading I have done has suggested a lowered immune system is usually the cause behind allergies and ear infections - that is, that dogs would cope better being exposed to foods that are high allergen should their immune system be in peak condition. The many vets I have spoken to over the years have told me the same.

However I am always keen to learn more so if you can point me in the direction where I can learn more about your theory stormie, I would be most interested :laugh:

My understanding is they don't know exactly why some dogs get allergies, but that some have a malfunctioning immune system, and others have an overactive one.

If you google allergies and the cause in general, there are quite a few articles on the causes of allergies as being an overactive immune system.

And the drug Atopica (widly used to treat atopic dermatitis) is cyclosporin, which is an immunosupressive drug that works by reducing the activity of the immune system.

But in saying all this, whatever the cause, I think anything that you can give to generally improve the general health of your dogs is definately a good thing. Whether the immune system is under of overactive, making your dog healthier will, IMO, help.

Yes but only is small amounts and is dependant on the size of the dog to how much as it can be toxic if too much is given.

Here is an article about garlic from a Holistic Vet

Lisa S. Newman, ND, Ph.D.

When it comes to your pet’s health, do you want to follow facts or fears? Unfortunately, garlic has come under attack. This is primarily as a result of garlic’s close cousin onion’s reputation for triggering hemolytic or “Heinz factor” anemia (where circulating red blood cells burst) through its high concentration of thiosulphate. With onions, a single generous serving can cause this reaction.

Garlic simply DOES NOT CONTAIN THE SAME CONCENTRATION of this compound! In fact, it is barely traceable and readily excreted (not stored in the body).

Despite this fact, garlic is falling victim to mass hysteria spread through the internet. Yes, there are 51,174 sites devoted to warning about the “toxicity” of garlic, this hysteria has even prompted the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center to place a warning on garlic although there is little scientific data to back this claim other than the fact that thiosulphate is also found in garlic. Yet, there are also over 400,000 sites still proclaiming its benefits, many of them from reputable holistic veterinarians who have widely used garlic in their practice for many years! How can an herb suddenly turn so bad?!

There is no doubt that onion, due to its concentration of thiosulphate, will cause Heinz factor anemia. In addition, as stated by Wendy Wallner, DVM, “Onions are only one of the substances which can cause Heinz body anemia. Other substances such as Acetaminophen (Tylenol) and benzocaine-containing topical preparations can also cause Heinz body anemia in the dog.” The latter probably accounts for many cases as it is prevalent in creams often recommended for allergy-suffering pets due to its ability to numb the itch. It is absorbed through the skin and builds up in the blood stream. This other substance is likely to have been involved in cases where garlic was suspect.

For centuries, as long as humans have been using herbs, garlic has been a primary remedy turned to in a majority of cases. For as long as people have been using garlic, they have also been feeding it to their animal companions. Its properties have proven far reaching, easy on the body and safe to use. In the past fifty years, during the rebirth of holistic medicine in the United States, garlic has been in the forefront. Every text that I have researched on herbal health which mentions pet care has recommended it, especially for its incredible anti-parasitic and anti-septic properties. In my own experience, garlic has also benefited pets with cancer, diabetes, liver, heart and kidney disease, uncontrollable staph infections and a host of other conditions, as well as been a staple in my recommended preventative protocols. It has been widely used by hundreds of thousands of pet owners with no reported negative side-effects – except its effect on their animal’s breath – until now.

This is the point; garlic has suddenly become a “suspect,” not proven the culprit. Do not let mass hysteria determine a holistic care program for your dog or cat. Follow hundreds of years of “proven use” rather than recent “suspicions” in regards to this miracle herb, as garlic is known to be. As with anything, do use garlic in reasonable doses, and do know that you can trust history over hysteria.

I am currently checking out the use of Percy's Powder to help the immune system

It has been used for decades to cure cancer in people and sheep, and I have used it for cancer in one of my own dogs successfully, but we used it for a dog with major skin issues recently that didn't fully respond to zinc, fish oil, Missing Link or diet change. Stopped the frantic scratching and chewing in two days!

I have a dog with an auto-immune eye problem that the vets haven't been able to help, so thought it might be worth a try. Currently she is on cod liver oil, started a week ago and already there has been a noticeable improvement - vitamin A is incredibly important for eye health. I feel that the Percy's Powder might be able to reverse some of the tissue damage, seeing as it can completely break down tumours.

Crossing fingers and toes!

I stumbled onto it years ago when I bought Percy Weston's book "Cancer Cause and Cure". He was a Victorian sheep farmer who noticed back in the 1930's that his sheep were getting cancer and arthritis after he started using superphosphate on his land. He developed this powder to supplement the minerals he felt were lacking and to counter the effect of too much phosphorus in the pasture.

With it he cured the sheep, a serious uterine cancer in his young wife (she went on to have 6 kids I think, after refusing an emergency hysterectomy) cancer in himself and in plenty of other people. He continued farming until the age of 97 and died peacefully in his sleep at 100, no cancer, no arthritis, no heart problems. He wrote the book at 98! His wife died cancer free at almost 80 from an accident.

THis is the place in Sydney where I bought the powder - Percy's Powder

However I am considering using the improved formula from NZ, which has extra selenium and magnesium plus vitamins etc. It is also in capsules which make it easier to give to a large dog. My father used this formula and got his PSA levels back to normal in 6 weeks, after ten years of chronic prostate problems, including catheterisations and hospitalisation. Would be very worth considering for dogs with prostate problems!

CAA Capsules

PS - the book also has a fascinating look at life in rural Victoria years ago, with some great photos.

Thanks for that info on CCA Morgan, I'm off to order some for me and the family, both human and canine!

Also, something else I have remembered that is great is Manuka Honey :happydance:

FTPO - the Duralactin takes about 3 weeks to kick in - and Dougal has been on it just over 3 weeks now - he is definitely moving easier, and his coat is so much better! :happydance: I'm not sure if it's the acupucture he has been having, or that combined with the Duralactin but he's like a puppy at the park, and sits a lot more easily these days. I'll definitely be getting some ordered in from the States. If anyone else is interested, just PM me and I'll do a bulk order.

FTPO, I will also try out the Mega Oil once I run out of the fish oil capsules, that sounds great, glad to hear Master Benson is thriving on it! :happydance::cheer:

Edited by ~ArtyFarty~

Thanks for that info on CCA Morgan, I'm off to order some for me and the family, both human and canine!

Also, something else I have remembered that is great is Manuka Honey :laugh:

FTPO - the Duralactin takes about 3 weeks to kick in - and Dougal has been on it just over 3 weeks now - he is definitely moving easier, and his coat is so much better! :laugh: I'm not sure if it's the acupucture he has been having, or that combined with the Duralactin but he's like a puppy at the park, and sits a lot more easily these days. I'll definitely be getting some ordered in from the States. If anyone else is interested, just PM me and I'll do a bulk order.

FTPO, I will also try out the Mega Oil once I run out of the fish oil capsules, that sounds great, glad to hear Master Benson is thriving on it! :laugh::laugh:

I have a Cavalier who has HD and is on Jointguard,Traumeel and has acupuncture.

Would the Duralactin be helpful to her for joint problems? She loves to go for a walk twice a day but doesn't seem to have a lot of stamina.

Also, something else I have remembered that is great is Manuka Honey :)

FTPO - the Duralactin takes about 3 weeks to kick in - and Dougal has been on it just over 3 weeks now - he is definitely moving easier, and his coat is so much better! :laugh: I'm not sure if it's the acupucture he has been having, or that combined with the Duralactin but he's like a puppy at the park, and sits a lot more easily these days. I'll definitely be getting some ordered in from the States. If anyone else is interested, just PM me and I'll do a bulk order.

FTPO, I will also try out the Mega Oil once I run out of the fish oil capsules, that sounds great, glad to hear Master Benson is thriving on it! :laugh::laugh:

Would the Duralactin be helpful to her for joint problems? She loves to go for a walk twice a day but doesn't seem to have a lot of stamina.

I'll PM you.

:mad

Also, something else I have remembered that is great is Manuka Honey :)

I'll PM you.

:mad

Thanks for that. Have replied

Has anyone here tried MSM?

I've heard about it before, but have just started looking into it as an immune booster. Having trouble locating aussie suppliers for dogs - the human prices look rather expensive and the US pet and horse ones are fairly cheap in comparison, but then you have to add shipping.