Problems Finding The Right Toy For Drive Training

Chopper and Angel go to the park to chase the ball nearly every day. They know the ball and they go crazy when the see it. It's rubber and it squeaks. I've tried normal tennis balls in the past as they fit better in the chukka, but they only want their squeaky ball. If I don't have it, they're not interested and they run around the park like hoons misbehaving :laugh:

Since we started drive training I'm having difficulties finding the right toy to use. He won't tug with me. He will with our trainer, but not with me. Since he's so mad about his ball I suggested using that, but it needs to be a ball on a rope. I got a ball on a rope and banished his squeaky ball forever. From now on we take the ball on a rope to the park for fetch so when it comes to training it's a toy with high value for him.

I started yesterday morning. No chukka, just the ball on a rope. I threw it a few times and they'd run after it, but the enthusiasm wasn't there. I was giving them heaps of encouragement and praise and treats when they brought it back, but as soon as another dog came along they were more interested in them. This morning I brought the chukka and threw the ball. It landed right beside Chopper and he saw it but then they both went running off to see where the squeaky ball was :( They ran around for a good minute. I threw the ball another few times and got the same reaction as yesterday, except today was worse as the two of them took off to chase birds :love:

I'm thinking I need to find a squeaky ball on a rope to grab their attention. Does anyone know where I'd get one? I tried Googling, but no luck :p

As a last resort I might use a cuz toy and tie rope around the feet :laugh:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about a fluffy squeeky toy?

For the drive training you want to avoid throwing the prey object from you, you want Chopper to engage in play WITH you not away from you.

Watch those Balabanov dvds again.

the other alternative is that you give your dogs no prey drive satisfaction whatsoever for a while, so that means no chasing birds, no balls, no nothing.

Keep it up for a week and than present a toy of YOUR choice and give Chopper an option to play with you with that toy.

If he does it than play for 15 seconds and put it way, make him be begging you for attention and play with him.

I know I'm not supposed to throw it away. The plan was to get him really into the toy by playing fetch with it in the mornings, then in the evening I could use it for one on one training.

I guess I could try depriving him. I'm gonna have to cycle with him instead though, if he doesn't get a run he gets destructive!

I probably should do Monelite's suggestion, but really it would frustrate me too much, I have way too much fun doing stuff with them to not do stuff for a while :rolleyes:

The squeakies my guys like are Ruffians (no rope sorry!)

http://www.dogtoys.com/ruffiansdogtoy1.html

I am hoping to get some good fluffy tugs for my birthday from Clean Run - they have great looking fluffy tugs!

if he doesn't get a run he gets destructive!

Privide him with nothing to demolish.

maybe give him a big bone to occpy him, and than nothing else. Yes I mean no bedding too.

BTW - this is advice I can give but I cant really do myself, if you are wandering :rolleyes:

no, I just cant be bothered :rolleyes: :D

My dogs are pets not competition dogs and Im too soft and let them get away with way too much.

Than I get frustrated that they dont perform :cry::laugh:

Plus if I decide to deprive, others in my household think its worng and than provide extra :cry:

Edited by Monelite

You can get fluffy, sqeeky tuggies from pet stock and Kmart.

The one I used to get my pup tugging was a short roped tuggie with a bit of fur on the end, and a bit in the middle.It has a bit of padded meshy stuff in between the furry bits. I think they're called Tuff Stuff or something like that.

The fur bits dont last long with a stafford though, but I only needed it about 2 weeks till I used that energy to transfer onto a proper training tuggie. Cost about $13

You can get fluffy, sqeeky tuggies from pet stock and Kmart.

The one I used to get my pup tugging was a short roped tuggie with a bit of fur on the end, and a bit in the middle.It has a bit of padded meshy stuff in between the furry bits. I think they're called Tuff Stuff or something like that.

The fur bits dont last long with a stafford though, but I only needed it about 2 weeks till I used that energy to transfer onto a proper training tuggie. Cost about $13

These?

http://www.dogtoys.com.au/buy.htm