Problems Finding The Right Toy For Drive Training

Just an idea ruthless.

why dont you get a normal tug and insert a squeeker into it.

Or get the hessian fabric and make a tug yourself out of that with the squeeker inside.

Never say never - all the same I would be concerned a squeeker could cause possible bite/nouth problems. After having a hard mouth labrador, my number one fear/horror is somehow developing another.

That being said, WE can squeek/encourage etc when warranted, I suppose.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all the same I would be concerned a squeeker could cause possible bite/mouth problems.

That's an excellent point LL.

ha ha. I admit to being totally phobic regarding mouth problems. I think I am an expert as to the reasons why it is caused. I wish I was NOT!!!!!!!!!

Luckily does not seem tooooo genetic. My problematic mouth boy sired the recently crowned 2008 Australian national retriever winner.

O/T, but getting back to the point of choosing a puppy for drive training...

I'm reading a Schutz training book borrowed from the forum, and it suggests that a pup that is a natural retriever often makes a good drive training prospect. It talks at length about reaction tests to choose one. Also naturally inquisitive and confident personalaties help.

Schutzhund Theory And Training Methods by Susan Barwig and Stewart Hilliard

It also names some non traditional breeds that can make good Schutz prospects (although not under Australian Schutz rules) : Australian Shepherd, Lab, Staffordshire BT, and Bull Terrier.

O/T, but getting back to the point of choosing a puppy for drive training...

I'm reading a Schutz training book borrowed from the forum, and it suggests that a pup that is a natural retriever often makes a good drive training prospect. It talks at length about reaction tests to choose one. Also naturally inquisitive and confident personalaties help.

Makes sense to me!!!!!!!

im by no means and expert im actually new to the forum

but my 2cent for what its worth is

that a toy like the wubber that makes a sound and has alot of movement is excellent for PREY drive building

e.g. once i squeeze it my dogs ears are up and the moment the tail starts flapping about that it JET smashes it !!

Hi

If all else fails you can have a squeaker in your hand and squeak it when the dog shows some interest in the toy. This is how I have started dogs that are reluctant to play but like the squeak.

My problematic mouth boy sired the recently crowned 2008 Australian national retriever winner.

Ohh another SOS doing well :D making hs owner and his dad's owner very proud I imagine. :cry:

cheers

M-J

I am thinking about getting a sheepy tug from Clean Run but not sure about getting it through quarantine? I called AQIS and if I can get a letter from manufacturer that it has been prepared a certain way it should be OK. Now need to contact Clean Run :thumbsup: