I Just Found My Pap's Tail Is Kinked

I was just patting my papillon's tail as you do and realised that it has a kink in it.

On further investigation, (It doesn't hurt him and he is not bothered by it) the end of the tail after the kink moves freely like it is LOOSE / SNAPPED (just hanging there)...

I am not in the habit of (nor remember) closing any doors on it.... What do you reckon caused it, has any one experienced anything similar - and what should I do?

He is not in ANY pain at all - but I am a bit worried....

Edited by Papi_Searcher

Can you post a picture at all?

It might pay to email his breeder to see if she noticed it before he was sold to you. She may have meant to tell you but forgotten? :thumbsup:

How much is hanging after the kink?

It definately has not been like this for that long, as I am regularly playing with his tail and it has not had this kink in the past...... It is weird to feel as it has like a nob and then the tail is loose/free one wayand wont move at all in the otehr direction....

You can't see it as the papillon tail falls in the direction down that the kink is....

Got an appointment with the Vet tonight - will report back!

The vet has been visited and he has a dislocated tail. To my disappointment she said there is nothing to be done besides pain killers for the next week to cover the "acute" pain.

Thanks all who advised you are right . I am not showing him, and it is just cosmetic as you say - and you can't even see it cos his tail curls that way anyway.... What is, is I guess.... but I am not happy about it - frustrated that he can't be put together again!

My little humpty-dumpty....

The vet has been visited and he has a dislocated tail. To my disappointment she said there is nothing to be done besides pain killers for the next week to cover the "acute" pain.

Thanks all who advised you are right . I am not showing him, and it is just cosmetic as you say - and you can't even see it cos his tail curls that way anyway.... What is, is I guess.... but I am not happy about it - frustrated that he can't be put together again!

My little humpty-dumpty....

A few weeks ago I noted my 6 year old labrador who had suffered "cold water tail" as a youngster on a regular basis, holding his tail similar to the past condition.

It did not resolve and pain did not seem significant. Physical examination was normal.

Last week I noted a lump near the base of the tail. Upon vet consultation, (not my normal vet as I away interstate), the vet suggested an old injury/fracture, which has gone onto ligament damage.

Amputation suggested at the fracture site if pain is noted. So far luckily, this has not occurred.

I have a beagle with a bent tail, its been like that since we got her. She's hurt it a few times and with pain killers has come through.

It adds character to her and it allows people to tell the difference between our two girls. Her's used to be at right angles , but has straightened over time. It's still obviously bent, but not as bad as it used to be.

The vet said if it doesn't get better, they will need to amputate it at the bend. But, she's been fine and has only seriously hurt it once (and I think that was when she was jumping up, pulling washing off the line!).

I have a beagle with a bent tail, its been like that since we got her. She's hurt it a few times and with pain killers has come through.

It adds character to her and it allows people to tell the difference between our two girls. Her's used to be at right angles , but has straightened over time. It's still obviously bent, but not as bad as it used to be.

The vet said if it doesn't get better, they will need to amputate it at the bend. But, she's been fine and has only seriously hurt it once (and I think that was when she was jumping up, pulling washing off the line!).

Thanks for your words of advise. Thats pretty much what the vet told me ... so we will just live with this specialness! :)