Is My Puppy The Only One Obsessed With Stairs :)

MsKatie

There is something a bit strange about being eye to eye with a kelpie puppy when you are staning up. My 13 week old puppy spends much of her time while I am on the computer happily climbing up and down he stairs, looking out the window and staring down at me through the banister rails. Sounds like an elephant as well :thumbsup: Anyone else have any experience of this sort of thing - I am not worried as we block the stairs off when I am not sitting right next to them but just wanted to share this because I thought it was funny......and off she goes again - should have named her Thunderpaws... :laugh:

Only edited for spelling mistakes

Edited by Kelpiepupmum

My dogs are both scared of stairs! LOL! They have recently started coming inside at night, and come upstairs to our bedroom. Going up they are OK, but going down is another matter. They wait at the top of the stairs until I go down and turn the light on, then they cautiously stagger down! LOL!

You are not alone!! Jedi LOVES the stairs... If given the opportunity to go up and down (pretty rare) then he ROCKETS up and down! UP AND DOWN! UP AND DOWN! We usually carry him up and down but when he does get the opportunity -- well, he makes the most of it!!

Hate to be a party pooper but is it a good idea to be allowing a young pup to run up and down stairs? So much pressure on those developing joints. You wouldn't let them jump the height of each stair and I don't know that running up and down them is any different, just even more repetitive.

Just came back from a weekend away with the dogs and the house had stairs. Charlie was fine going up but incredibly careful walking down, almost as though his feet were too big for them. Delta kept asking to go to the toilet (access to yard was downstairs) and I suspect it was so that she could use the stairs...

She only gets a chance to do it when I am on the computer and she is in the mood - I have watched her a few times and she seems to be fairly non stressful on her joints - but will keep that in mind. I don't think it's any worse than some of the things I have seen her doing in the yard :laugh: She can be pretty mad at times

You can read the story here http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...=141994&hl=

She was running across the living room & tried to jump on the staircase but slipped & landed wrong. The vet said there is major nerve damage which I already knew right away. Her poor leg was dangling when she ran right over to me & she could feel her toes but not her foot

Follow up thread here

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...mp;hl=amputated

• 2 weeks later...

Mine have never met stairs... they have been up and down a few steps, but never a whole set of stairs - I had Kaos at mums when mum and dad were out, so she had free run of the house (mum and dad are no dog inside people... :eek: )

Kaos was following me around, i went up stairs not thinking, next thing i know she is crying and screaming. she had NO idea how to get up them! :rolleyes:

I went back down and got her, but when it was time to go down again, she was too scared! :o

can some one tell me why it would be bad for a puppy to walk up and down stairs???

In a nut shell, it's bad for their joints. It puts excessive pressure on their limbs which is something you definitely don't want in a growing pup as it can cause hip dysplasia and other joint problems.

We don't have stairs but reading this reminds me somewhat of Orion running back and forth from our bedroom to the lounge. He just gets up and bolts to the lounge - then we hear him jump in his beanbag - then a little while later he comes bounding back to the bedroom - this goes on and on all morning till we finally decide it's time to get up.

Its not very practical to ban your dog from stairs in some cases... like us. We have a full set in the back yard-they are not very steep and have a low gradient, and a full set inside.

I think its would be one of the causes, but it doesn't automatically cause it.

Kelpie's are not prone to hip dysplasia, like other dogs such as Labs, so I don't feel its a big issue. They are, by nature, very agile dogs. They are used to bounding around, putting pressure on joints, herding animals, jumping up on the back of utes etc.

Hasn't been for us anyway.

My pups just love running around - really fast around the loungeroom table like crazy! They both just go around that and then aroung the lounge. The funniest thing is when they go opposite directions and almost run into each other - well.. sometimes they do (I shouldn't laugh) But they just get in silly moods sometimes and go crazy and make ALOT of noise even though together they weigh around 4 kg lol! :thumbsup: