When Does It Stop Being Play Fighting?

PandaGirl

My pup is about 5 months old now, and the play "fighting" between her and our older (~7 years) dog is starting to get a bit full on. They haven't had an actual fight, but there's been some cuts and bites on each of them. My parents just say "they're just being dogs" but as my Daisy gets bigger she's getting more powerful, and she thinks she can play with all dogs like this. How do I know when it's still playing and when it's becoming a dominance arm wrestle? Is there any way I can teach her not to play like that with him, bearing in mind my parents will not help in any way and my father spends all day with them both. Help!

This is something that I worry about too. We have just got a new pup, he is only 10 weeks. We have another dog who is about 3 1/2. Ourr older dog loves to play rough - which to me is ok because he understands when it is time to stop with us - we just say 'enough, gentle' and he calms down.

One of the problems that we have experienced with out new pup is that he wants to pay with our older dog all the time - we are worried that our older dog will be too rough and there may be problems.

I look forward to seeing what other people have to say about this.

Hi guys, I'm NO expert, but have always had at least 3 dogs together. Personally, I would not allow them to get too rough, esp. if there have been injuries/cuts. Playing can escalate very easily into fighting as the dogs get very over excited and their adrenalin can kick in. If you can relate it to your parents in a way ie. kids can be playing one minute, all out fight the next, maybe they will see that it is a no no.

With all of mine, as soon as things get too much, over excited, I make them settle, usually by saying 'enough' and separating them, make them sit and calm down. Never encourage them to play rough by playing rough yourself (with the dogs :rofl: ). Dogs learn very fast when reprimanded ( NO physical reprimand is needed) each time they get out of control, then you can reward them for sitting quietly. Just remember too, that if they get very rough with each other, one day they may do the same with another dog who doesn't appreciate it, and there could be an all out fight. They need to learn manners for everyone's sake. :thumbsup:

Hope it all turns out well for you, what breeds are they? At 5 months, it will only get much more rough as the pup gets older, nip it in the bud now :) xxx

I'm trying my hardest to stop them playing so rough. She gets put in time out, or leashed when she's being rough, but seeing as I'm the only one doing it, and I'm not there all day to enforce it she's not learning she needs to play nice. Getting a professional in wouldn't help because my father would still just let them do it. When my vet told me that my cat needs a special diet to stop him getting sick my parents just keep feeding him the stuff that was killing him. They don't listen!

There's not much point in asking for advice then. Maybe they'll take it seriously when they have to fork out for the vet bills or the fines if she happens to instigate a fight with another dog. If people won't listen there's not much you can do unfortunately. Of course ultimately it's the dogs that suffer :eek:

I've already found a place to rehome her too if it gets too bad, or I can't find a pet friendly rental house. I guess all I can do for now is keep leashing her when I see them getting rough. Our other dog has already had his ear ripped open from stuff like this with my ex's dog so you'd think they'd listen.

If you live with people who are not trustworthy around animals, you have two options:

(1) Move out

(2) Don't have animals

Really, what is the point of asking for advice and then replying to advice with "that won't work because my family won't do it anyway"?

If your family really chose to kill the pet cat rather than listen to the vet advice about something as simple as changing the cat's food, you should not have dogs around them, with their far greater and more complex needs.

Get out or stop getting dogs.

Whats considered too bad though? Do you have to wait until there is serious damage and then try to rehome? If the dogs do serious damage to each other- will the home thats lined up still take one of them?

In my experience, i do find that an objective 3rd party can sometimes convince the stubborn that things need o be done a little differently.

Ok, so based on advice here I rushed straight out and got rid of both dogs and my cats. Wow! Life is so much better *rolls eyes*

Seriously, I spoke to my trainer at obedience who has seen our dogs interact and he said to keep doing what I'm doing. She seems to be ok with other dogs now that she's spent time around more of them, so possibly I'm worrying about nothing.

So thanks for your help?

You're the one that claims that your family are deliberately feeding your pet cat the wrong food, knowing that the food is killing it.

You're the one that claims there's no point getting behaviourist advice because your family won't pay attention anyway.

For the sake of the dogs, I do hope you're exaggerating about how poorly your family treats the pets.

I didn't condone getting rid of the pets but I stand my opinion that if that is the situation, don't get any more pets - and I'm not sure what advice you are asking for if you're going to reply that your family is going to ignore it anyway!

I do hope the dogs do ok.

I was actually more curious as to whether what I was doing myself was the right thing to do. However I don't tend to express myself well, which causes a lot of confusion. Either way I've been given advice which I've found helpful and so will ask Troy to lock this.