Behavioural Issues And Diet

poodlefan

DeeLee wrote in another thread:

My dog is fed raw premium pet mince (roo and lamb) and a handful of (cheapish) dry food mixed in and I give her a capsule of fish oil every now and then. Works for us.

Just want to bring this over here.

Deelee, how much preservative is in the premium pet mince you feed? I reckon if you can get your dog on a diet with no preservatives and colourings, you may see some behavioural changes.. its a bit like feeding kids really.

For a start, I'd suggest you switch to human grade mince.

Edited by poodlefan

Deelee, how much preservative is in the premium pet mince you feed?

There really isn't a way to know that exactly, you'll find preservatives in human grade mince as well.

I reckon if you can get your dog on a diet with no preservatives and colourings, you may see some behavioural changes.. its a bit like feeding kids really.

Nice thought but things typically aren't as Black as White as that....what gives you the impression that this dogs behaviour problems are attributed to its' diet?

Lower Protein diets can assist with some behavioural problems, not highly reported on though.

If you go raw to avoid preservatives you're most likely going to go to high protein levels.

With Fish Oil the typical dossage is 1 x Capsule per 10kgs of Body weight, it should be the brand of Fish Oil that has Vit E included or you will need to supplement with 1 x Vit E Capsule every 2nd day.

Edited by sas

With Fish Oil the typical dossage is 1 x Capsule per 10kgs of Body weight, it should be the brand of Fish Oil that has Vit E included or you will need to supplement with 1 x Vit E Capsule every 2nd day.

what does the vitamin E do??? (am playing with my older dogs diet ATM, so am interested in all snippets of nutritional info I can get!!!)

Sas:

There really isn't a way to know that exactly, you'll find preservatives in human grade mince as well.

Hopefully not the sulphates found in most pet minces/rolls. There are studies linking these to Thiamine deficiency which can alter behaviour. There is also a heap of ancedotal evidence from trainers who've seen dogs become less hyper on diets with less or no processed foods.

Nice thought but things typically aren't as Black as White as that....what gives you the impression that this dogs behaviour problems are attributed to its' diet?

You're right. They aren't That's why I said it may assist. Worth a try though don't you think?

I didn't suggest that DeeLee go raw SAS but processed pet mince would be something I'd avoid in any dog's diet. Even chicken pet mince if you can get it fresh would be better.

Edited by poodlefan

I didn't suggest that DeeLee go raw SAS but processed pet mince would be something I'd avoid in any dog's diet. Even chicken pet mince if you can get it fresh would be better.

I agree with this statement. Has anyone ever asked the processors of 'pet mince' exactly what goes into it? There are more checks and controls on meat for human consumption and I would trust it any day over pet mince.

Several years ago I swapped to chicken mince and quality dry food! The difference in my dogs coats and general well being has been Astronomical. I would never feed beef again.

The chicken mince is totally free from preservatives, so needs to be frozen or used straight away.

And with dry food...you only get what you pay for....read the bag...check the protein level and the fat level.....

Hopefully not the sulphates found in most pet minces/rolls. There are studies linking these to Thiamine deficiency which can alter behaviour. There is also a heap of ancedotal evidence from trainers who've seen dogs become less hyper on diets with less or no processed foods.

OOPS! Just got pointed in this direction! :)

The food I get is diced roo and lamb and the packaging says it has "minimal preservative 220 (I think) to preserve freshness". I think thats sulphates isnt it? Hmm.

Really, it cant hurt to try something without it and see how it goes. Worst case scenario she stays the same.

With the dry food I only give to her when we have no cooked rice lying around. Its not a large part of her diet, mostly just so the meat doesnt stick to the bottom of her kong :):confused: .

Good to know about the fishoil. I had no idea about the vitamin E.

What is the addition of fish oil and vitamin e (to balance it) designed to do for the dog. I know in people they think it increases brain function, has antioxident properties etc.. Is this what we're trying to achieve in dogs or is it something else?

I haven't started the pup on it yet, but have been reading a lot about it. Sorry to hijack, hopefully others might want to know also.

My point poodlefan is not to give the individual false hope. Behavioural problems should be seen by behaviourists not people who think they have all the answers on a dog forum.

I agree. I offered a suggestion, I didn't want to imply that it was a panacea, just something else to try. DeeLee sees a trainer with the dog.

Edited by poodlefan