Puppy Eating His Poo Again!

Melissa4

Hi all,

I'm still having a problem with my puppy... He's eating his poo again!!!!!!

I tried putting pineapple in his food because that is supposedly what turns them off - But it hasnt.

I changed his diet to raw food and he has been on it for a week - and still hasnt changed.

I'm running out of ideas - He knows it is naughty and everytime he does it and I walk near it he runs away so I dont grouch at him...

Does anyone have any ideas???? Any new raw food I can try?

I cook chicken mince and add vegies and also he eats some puppy bikkies too...

He gets regular excersise and eats normal amounts of food and has a puppy brother who he loves to play with so he doesnt get bored all that much

I'm all outta ideas!!!

please help!!!!!!

Have you given him bones? I don't really know much about stopping this behaviour but if you're trying to feed him raw bones will be good and keep him distracted while he's chewing away! We give our pup a bone and she couldn't care if an elephant was dancing in front of her :wave:

You said you cooked his chicken....are you giving him any of the meat raw, it's better if you don't cook it, more nutrients.

Sorry not much help I know but I would try giving him bones as it will keep him occupied :rofl:

ETA: Although our girl tried to ate some cat poo last night :shakehead:

Edited by Aussie3

Have you given him bones? I don't really know much about stopping this behaviour but if you're trying to feed him raw bones will be good and keep him distracted while he's chewing away! We give our pup a bone and she couldn't care if an elephant was dancing in front of her :rofl:

You said you cooked his chicken....are you giving him any of the meat raw, it's better if you don't cook it, more nutrients.

Sorry not much help I know but I would try giving him bones as it will keep him occupied :rofl:

They don't seem to eat anything actually RAW raw. They are so damn picky!! I have no idea what to make them for raw food. I've looked at all the nutrients and food threads... Just they dont want to eat it! :wave:

Thanks for your help - I might try bones

Have you given him bones? I don't really know much about stopping this behaviour but if you're trying to feed him raw bones will be good and keep him distracted while he's chewing away! We give our pup a bone and she couldn't care if an elephant was dancing in front of her :rofl:

Sorry not much help I know but I would try giving him bones as it will keep him occupied :eek:

They don't seem to eat anything actually RAW raw. They are so damn picky!! I have no idea what to make them for raw food. I've looked at all the nutrients and food threads... Just they dont want to eat it! :wave:

Thanks for your help - I might try bones

:rofl: I must admit sometimes we'll cook the meat first for our girl, usually she's fine with raw but if it's chicken breast she likes it sauteed....very spoilt!!!

Yeah try the bones, it really keeps them occupied, they love it, good luck! :rofl:

Hi,

I suspect that my 5 1/2 month old puppy has been eating his and his sisters poo on occasions. Ive only caught him doing it once, but have almost sprung him on a couple of occasions. The vet has recommended some slow k tablets (need a script for them) and some MSG powder in his food. I havent tried this yet as I have to get the MSG powder ordered (no asian food stores where I live) but Ill let you know if it works. The big thing tho is to make sure there is as little poo as possible in the yard. If its not there he wont eat it. I do "poo patrol" up to 4 times a day. And if I see him go anywhere near it I rouse on him.

Good luck and Ill let you know if the slow k and MSG works :thumbsup:

apart from the obvious of ensuring that you pick up droppings as often as you can......A charcoal tablet given with their meal will fix the problem.....you will find you only need to give the charcoal tablet about 4-5 times and this fixes the problem!

Clean up the poo as often as you can. Tell him off when you catch him.

Sometimes dogs will eat their own poo because they are missing a digestive enzyme in their stomach so the food that goes into them comes out pretty much the same so they think ohh yummy second time around. Vets are able to test for this lacking enzyme and you can buy digestive enzyme capsules, which you break and sprinkle the powder over the dogs food, from health food shops.

Does the chicken mince you are feeding contain bones? If not then you are feeding incorrectly and the bone to meat ratio your dog is getting is all out of whack which can lead to massive growth problems, Go and get some minced chicken carcusses, sometimes called puppy mince or dog mince, and feed raw. None of this cooking.

Melissa,

My GSD ate her own poo but when I tried to get in quickly to pick it up it just made her more keen to get to it and eat it first.... So after adding everything I just had to ignore it as it had become a game....

From ignoring her and trying to divert her attention onto a ball or something as sson as she went she eventually forgot about the "eat my poo" game and she stopped...

good luck.

Two of mine did it.

Lucien still does it occasionally. He's 12 m.o now.

Kayne has stopped. Actually, he stopped when his poos hardened up. He is allergic to all meats so is only fed RC Hypoallergenic. Since been on that, he stopped.

Not much help sorry. More of an observation.

some say it's a defficiency, others say it's a thing dogs sometimes do. To us it's :thumbsup: but maybe to them it's :thumbsup: