Puppyhouse Freedom

Cally

Hi all , I am new to the forum.

I have a new Girl, she is a Cav and is 11 weeks old, I have had her for just over a week. I have a Crate that she sleeps in down stairs at nigh and she has a Pen that she is keep in upstairs when she is with us. She is fantastic and has no problems with being shut in the crate all night and loves to spend her own time there even in the day. She has never wee'd or poo'd in her crate and lasts from 10.30pm, till 6am to need to go out for the toilet. With the Pen upstairs how ever she does sometime wee if we miss getting her out .

When is it ok to let her out of the Pen and start giving her more freedom,I am planning on sectioning the hall and bedrooms where she will not be allowed. I am concerned she may start trying to get on the lounge or rip the curtains or go after my kids toys. She seems quite smart as I have been using the TOT from this site and she will sit and wait for her food and also pretty much wee's on comand outside. I have been teaching her to use her own cushion in the Pen as I want her to use one in the house rather than the lounge.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by Cally

A cavalier puppy! You have to show us pictures now! :laugh:

What colour is she?

I won't give her any unsupervised freedom until you can trust her 100%. I have a 13 week old cavalier and she only has access to the kitchen, lounge and her 'bedroom'. We haven't had many accidents so far.

Put some papers in her pen so she can use them if the wait is too long. She's only very little and their bladders aren't very good at holding yet.

How's sleeping at night going? Any crying?

Good luck!

EFS

Edited by kleintjie

I would say not until she is properly toilet trained and when you have given her some basic obedience training. I also wouldn't let her have run of the rooms unsupervised and alone until she is 12 months old and properly trained.

Hi there and congrats on your new baby!!

I probably cant be of help because I let my puppy have full access to our house! and shes been very good with the toileting :cooldance:

When Im not home I restrict her access to just the kitchen, dining and lounge room so she cant get in to any mischief! If you need more advice, especially on cavaliers, come join us on the cavalier thread on this forum and show us pics of your girl!!

here is the link

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=96578

Hi Cally,

Congratulations on your cavalier puppy. You must post some photos! I'm like Bellatrix, I let my 15 week old puppy have full access to the house too so not much help on that side of things. Do pop into the cav thread and say hello :(

Hi all.

Thanks for the Reply. I will try and add some pictures I am hoping to get some better shots of her.The 2nd one looks like she is in jail :laugh:, but it is a better picture of her face. She is a dream for sleeping once I put her down she dosn't whine at all. Think I am very lucky :laugh:

post-25947-1223207902_thumb.jpgpost-25947-1223208113_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cally

She's cute, cute, cute :love:

I have a 10 month and an 11 week old Cav.

Ollie is just such a baby and he doesn't have full run of the house because he can't get up the stairs :laugh:. Other than that, he wanders around everywhere.

I don't leave either one inside alone when we're out, though.

Izzy has full run of the house. She was a dream to toilet train, sure she had a few accidents but they were our fault for being too slow in getting her outside after a sleep.

So, to answer your question, I would say, if you can watch her at all times, maybe let her out and supervise for a few minutes at a time.

As for the lounge :laugh:. I always said I didn't want Izzy on the lounge or on the bed or upstairs at all. What a joke!! I tried to keep it that way for such a long time but it didn't work.

When Izzy was younger, she chewed through the laptop power cord. That was about the only bad thing she ever did. Now, I can leave things on the floor and she doesn't touch them. Having this new puppy, I have to go back to picking everything up, watching him every second.

Cally congratulations on your new pup. With my first dog I kept her in the kitchen by barricading the hall doorway,open plan no door. She was only allowed the full run around 6 months when toilet trained.

After that it was all down hill the pups just went everywhere as I could not expect the older dogs to jump the barricade.

Some accidents but :shrug::shrug: I will get new carpets one day. :laugh::laugh::love:

Our newest pup a White German Sheperd is crated and toilet trained much quicker than the Cavs.

Please join the Cav thread.

Welcome to dol. Your little girl is gorgeous.

When toilet training puppies they need to go outside after eating/drinking, waking up, playing & every hour in between. When she goes outside praise her extaticly & give her treats. Every time. That way you shouldn't have any mistakes. If you do, she shouldn't have access to the house until she is reliable or unless you can watch her every second. If you don't want to have her in the pen all the time you're home put her on lead & tie it to your belt so you can keep an eye on her.

Edited by luvsdogs