Antique Effect

Whateverr

I use Lightroom presets and split toning to achieve this type of effect. There are some great presets available for free downloads that will give you a starting point that you can tweak (I rarely find that the preset is exactly right!). Lightroom comes with a few presets already installed and they can all be tweaked. Playing with the sliders is the best way to get what you want and if you get something you like it's really easy to save it as a new preset that you can then use again on other photos!

There are also actions that you can download for Photoshop that will offer the same sort of effect, but usually with less control. actioncentral.com (I think, you may have google) has tons of cool stuff for free.

Abbey - you can buy 'actions' or you can create your own.

As anyone can tell you with PS - there are countless ways to do any one thing.

Personally, I haven't really liked any of the 'antique' actions that I have found so I ended up writing my own which is very simple.

first, creat a colour layer.

click the shadows box and boost the red and the yellow. ( cyan - red to about +18, yellow - blue to about -18 )

Next, open a hue/saturation layer.

Click on the colourise box

Make the 'hue' 25

Make the saturation '25' then click ok.

Now on the layers table, change to opacity of the hue/saturation layer so that you can just start to see the colours come through underneath. Adjust it to acheive the look you want.

done.

As I said, countless ways to do any single thing. You may like this recipe, you may not. You might find it will work well for some photos but not for others. It won't hurt to give it a try. :rofl:

Edited by Ashanali

Cool Ashanali. :rolleyes: I don't really like that brown sepia as I haven't found a look I like. Had a quick play with your photoshop tips and got a better look. :rolleyes:

Left: Sepia tone straight room LR (no adjustments)

Right: Photoshop

Ralph.jpg

I was going to enroll in a photography school. But who needs to with DOL School of Photograhy and Arts. :(

• 2 weeks later...
first, creat a colour layer.

click the shadows box and boost the red and the yellow. ( cyan - red to about +18, yellow - blue to about -18 )

Next, open a hue/saturation layer.

Click on the colourise box

Make the 'hue' 25

Make the saturation '25' then click ok.

Now on the layers table, change to opacity of the hue/saturation layer so that you can just start to see the colours come through underneath. Adjust it to acheive the look you want.

Just tried that here on this old silver lady (recent holiday snap) - very easy, thanks ashanali.

eta: damn upload is failing for some reason. have reduced size

post-485-1224400816_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ripley