Age You First Had Your Dog Checked - Dog Chiro Or Similar

ness

Just curious as to what age you would consider having a dog checked over and whether that decision was made based on apparent injury/problem or just as a routine check. I on a semi-regular basis get my older girl checked but no idea when you might start taking a pup for checks. I haven't actually asked the guy I go to for his recommendation but I was just curious. I started taking my older when when she was exhibiting problems/well ok when I finally admitted she needed to go.

Interesting poodlefan. I did mention to the person I take Ness to that I had a youngster and he was like why haven't you bought her along yet and my comment was well I haven't broken her yet :laugh: . He isn't exceedingly cheap either.

All go to Bowen therapy, but originally started out at Chiros - Spartan was checked due to an indication of an injury at about 5yo.

James was taken at about 7months due to what we thought was an injury. He is now done regularly as a result.

Ari was about 9mo and taken because she is incredibly high energy and rams into things constantly, jumps etc. I take her to Bowen therapy and she hasn't been to a Chiro.

Interesting ML, I actually never considered that. I guess I was concerned about them doing too much when they are still growing and constantly changing.

Edited by ness

Interesting poodlefan. I did mention to the person I take Ness to that I had a youngster and he was like why haven't you bought her along yet and my comment was well I haven't broken her yet :laugh: . He isn't exceedingly cheap either.

What Molasseslass says is important.. having everything aligned while they grow can prevent a lot of issues. I've seen a quite cow hocked puppy come good with regular chiro. Pups can really knock themselves around too.. even the birthing process can be hard on a pup.

I don't see it just as a 'cure' but also as prevention of serious issues down the line.

Yeah the one I go to charges $50 so yep I am going to be a bit relunctant to take her just to get her checked since I am not made of money.

I figure a bit of money spent up front can prevent issues down the line. Darce is 5 now. He's had a trauma to one leg (no idea how or when) this year but until now has been very very sound. Looks like that's fixed now too. It's unusual for him to need adjustment.

Correct alignment can, according to my chiro, assist with keeping cruciate ligaments unstressed. I have no reason to doubt that view.

Edited by poodlefan

True PF. The pup is 6 months old and certainly doesn't look to have any issues. Maybe I can get a discount on the pair :laugh: .

You can ask. The worst he'll say is "no". I think if your dog looks sore, that you've probably left it a bit long. The longer things are out of alignment, the more muscles and ligaments adjust to the new position, creating an ongoing need to recorrect alignment because things then get pulled back out of place.

True PF. The pup is 6 months old and certainly doesn't look to have any issues. Maybe I can get a discount on the pair :laugh: .

You can ask. The worst he'll say is "no". I think if your dog looks sore, that you've probably left it a bit long. The longer things are out of alignment, the more muscles and ligaments adjust to the new position, creating an ongoing need to recorrect alignment because things then get pulled back out of place.

That's what I found, PF - the adjustments are now 'holding' for want of a better word but it's taken some time. The first treatment was a real eye opener - I thought Ziggy was moving fine.....until I could see how he looked AFTER the treatment!

:laugh: yep PF the things I know now - although touch wood my older girl seems to respond to one or two treatments and the problems resolve. Although then I tend to get a bit lazy and not bother taking her back unless she has an obvious problem. Getting better though.

I have been thinking about taking my boy. He has had bowen but I think he might need some chiro. He tends to roach his back at times, probably from the way he tears around. He is only 12 months so i was worried about it damaging him???

True PF. The pup is 6 months old and certainly doesn't look to have any issues. Maybe I can get a discount on the pair :( .

That's what I found, PF - the adjustments are now 'holding' for want of a better word but it's taken some time. The first treatment was a real eye opener - I thought Ziggy was moving fine.....until I could see how he looked AFTER the treatment!

Yep.. The chiro reckons Darcy's shoulder injury was pretty traumatic.. he said similar to being hung up by one front leg somehow. I have no idea how he did that and there was no obvious change of gait. FHRP swears she didnt' swing him around by one leg that often. :laugh:

But gee he was SORE. It tooks three months of adjustments to sort it and of course because he was compensating for it in the rear, that was out too. :rofl:

I have been thinking about taking my boy. He has had bowen but I think he might need some chiro. He tends to roach his back at times, probably from the way he tears around. He is only 12 months so i was worried about it damaging him???

Look, some folk swear that chiro is pure quackery. Some vets are opposed to it and some have qualifications in it themselves. I have it done on me and the dogs and swear by it but some folk argue that manipulation can cause damage.

But IMO the longer you leave a skeletal issue unresolved, the greater the chance of irrepairable arthritic changes in joints. As my chiro says, he can't do much with a fused joint.

ETA: My only caution would be to use someone who has formal qualifications in the field. Some folk swear by the lay people (often greyhound folk) but I'd not use one.

Edited by poodlefan

We have taken an 8 week old BUT all ours start regularly with Bowen from 3 months.We prefer to start early especially during there clumsy stage PLUS i also feel not every pup has an easy birthing process so things can happen early.

We have used a chiro for well over 20 years but prefer our Bowen person BUT they must be good

I only really like to start checking over puppies From 12 weeks of age unless something is obvious, recently had a boxer pup 12 weeks old to check & jumped around while i was checking it & thought just puppy play but after i adjusted its back the pup then stood like a show dog & i then was able to check it out fully, so sometimes the problem is not obvious, Garry