Help! Puppy Eats Really Slow

inbox

Hi everyone

This problem has been going on for the past 3 days, my puppy in the morning is really slowly eating his breakfast which just includes kibble and puppy milk. Like it would take him a hr to just finish a quarter of what he usually eats. Although at night when I feed him, he seems to chow it all down. Could this mean he just isn't hungry in the mornings? I only just started to increase the amount he is eating to a cup a day and he is 20weeks old now. He's stool seems to be normal by the looks of it as well.

Just other random queries as well, when it comes to lead training, he always barely moves and just stands still. What good ways are there to make him move as I move? I've tried to give him treats but he just keeps staying still and when I do start to pull he just pulls back as well.

Also I've noticed my neighbors have been poisoning their trees and I'm worried that the dead leaves that fall down over my place or even the branches will poison my pup? Any ideas if that does?

Thanks you

I havent ever had a slow eating pup, but a friend did, and she was told to remove the bowl after 15 minutes, so that pup learns if he doesnt eat he misses out

Thats assuming there isnt anything health wise wrong. I would go to vet and get a checkup first if you think there might be a health problem, rule that out first

Has anything else changed? Even a change in weather? Maybe try just kibble no milk. What is his evening meal?

Well the weather has been going on and off in NSW with rain and sunny some days. Also another change is how we stopped feeding him in the afternoon now but has been like that for a week now. Other than that I haven't seen any other changes. In the evening, I feed him kibble and wet food usually.

He is teething at the moment, I wasn't sure if this would affect his eating patterns since he can eat later on. But it seems with the left over kibble thats left, I use it to treat him for the tricks he does and he will happily eat it.

You are probably just feeding him too much food, but he may also have sore gums as he's teething as Nekhbet said. Try taking his evening meal and dividing it into two, feed him one half in the morning and one half in the evening, anything he leaves should be picked up and removed. Monitor his weight, you should be able to feel his ribs but not see them and he should have a clearly defined waist, if you feel he's not carrying enough weight and he seems really hungry add a little more food. I would also ditch the puppy milk, it contains sugar and your dog doesn't need it. Try giving him some bones, substitute a chicken wing (if he's a small breed) or a frame for one of his meals, this is also good for his teeth.

With the lead training, have you tried encouraging him in happy voice, running backwards calling 'pup, pup, pup, pup, pup' and then rewarding him when he comes? Try tempting him with something special like roast chicken or dog roll, something that he doesn't usually get. You could also take him off your property and allow him to explore the great outdoors at his own speed, just hold onto the lead and let him wander around and sniff until he gets used to it. Never pull the dog, you'll just teach him to resist and dislike the lead.

Can't help you with the trees I'm afraid, I suppose it would depend on what they're actually using, I doubt that they'll be using anything deadly because if it was harmful to dogs chances are it would be harmful to humans as well.

Edited by Miranda

What breed is your puppy? As others have said I would stop giving him the puppy milk. It has no real nutritional value and he’s old enough to leave it behind now.

Our girl is about the same age and she eats like every meal is her last so I haven’t had the same experience, but as Miranda said try cutting his meal size down a bit, and I agree with the bones idea, if your pup likes to eat slowly then a bone with some raw meat on it will be great as pup will have to suck and chew on it for a while! :)

With the walking, have you taken pup outside or just tried with the lead on your property? If so you may find once he’s off your property all the new smells will motivate him to walk! If not, try and make it fun. OH and I play the hide and seek game with Lili, each of us goes to opposite ends of the house/yard and calls her, gives her a treat, then the other calls her and so on. You could try doing this with the leash on, have someone call him and run along with him on the leash…

Not sure about the trees but if you’re really worried just go over and ask them what they’re using, I’m sure they wont mind, then Google it or call the company to see if it is toxic.

Good luck! ;)

My pup is a japanese spitz. In regards to the lead training, I had the impression I needed to be sure my pup will follow my lead, that is he won't be pulling or going ahead of me and also for him to kneel beside me in case of anything dangerous that may come before I can take him out of the property. He is already restricted to part of the property so I take him out with the lead to the other part of the property he never can get to.

Thanks for all the replies about the morning meals, i'll give the ideas a try tomorrow and see how he goes.

you need to get some really tasty treats like sausage or chicken and coax him on the lead

they all learn to walk on leads!

heaps of praise and encouragement

sometimes if you have a friend with a well trained dog on lead the younger one gains confidence