New To Poodle 'grooming'

HE,he!! Poodlefan!! Well done!!

:):) :D

You forgot tho--while sipping you have to watch the little blighter shake the smooth look all uneven after that first trim!! :vomit:

Specially a show poodle clip anyways!!

I have Kalstone's book and it is easy to follow tho old fashioned!! ;)

Can't wait for the anal glands episode :eek::rofl:

If you ever changed a baby's nappy........

people do grow used to such things, and after my first (pet) poodle had an impacted anal gland removed, I FAST learned and it's not so bad---under running water--tho the glasses sure mist up!! :eek: ;) :vomit:

Edited by V.A.H.

Ok Yappy and V.A.H, here we go (here's a post I never thought I would do)

However, I would caution that this is something that you really need to see done a couple of times... nothing like hands on experience :vomit: Get your vet to show you..

Gloves are for sissies by the way!

Dog into washing place, run the tap warm.

Feel around the dog's anus with your thumb and forefinger.. do this gently or you might get a nasty "spontaneous" surprise.. :eek:

At around the four o'clock and eight o'clock position (think of a clock face) you should be able to feel two slight bulges..probably about a centimetre or so from the opening of the anus - these are the glands. What you want to do is put your thumb and finger on the outside of the glands and push in behind them and then up towards the opening of the anus in a kind of 'milking' movement - the trick is slow and steady pressure not hard or sharp.

If you get this right you will get a secretion from the anal glands. The secretion will vary in consistency from very liquid (kind of looks like coffee) to almost like tooth paste. This can almost erupt out or arrive more slowly. When I do it it basically deposits on my hand which I then rinse under the tap and do the dog's bum while I'm there. Some people do it into a tissue but I prefer to rinse if off. I don't find it particularly smelly or unpleasant - but I'm probably used to it.

Safety tips - have the dog's bum facing slightly away from you - this stuff ain't nice in your face as a friend of mine can attest to. ;) You will be doing this by feel and not by sight anyway.

If nothing arrives under gentle pressure, STOP. You are either squeezing the gland and not opening it or there's nothing in it. Some books provide explanations of this practice with pics BTW

Oh, by the way, Teddy will tell you if you're not getting it right. This is a very sensitive area on a dog - too much pressure and it hurts them.

OK V.A.H - how did I go! :vomit: [i'm picturing readers feeling their dogs bums :eek: ]

How are you finding the Slicker yappy? Is it black and green? I find them a really nice fit in your hand..

I like the Essentials brand stuff - reasonable priced too. The coat oil is lovely!

Edited by poodlefan

Gloves are for sissies by the way!

Safety tips - have the dog's bum facing slightly away from you - this stuff ain't nice in your face as a friend of mine can attest to.  :eek:  You will be doing this by feel and not by sight anyway.

If nothing arrives under gentle pressure, STOP.  You are either squeezing the gland and not opening it or there's nothing in it. Some books provide explanations of this practice with pics BTW

Oh, by the way, Teddy will tell you if you're not getting it right.  This is a very sensitive area on a dog - too much pressure and it hurts them.

How are you finding the Slicker yappy?  Is it black and green?  I find them a really nice fit in your hand..

I like the Essentials brand stuff - reasonable priced too.  The coat oil is lovely!

Gasp ...splutter... :eek::vomit::vomit: Thanks for that poodlefan - you are legend!!! But guess what - I've decide to forgo the obvious and down-right sexy pleasures you descibe in your post, and get a professional anal gland squeezer in to do the job. Don't want to cross any demarcation lines now, do we.

The slicker I got from Gone to the Dogs is fabulous, but they didn't have the one's you recommended in stock. A very pleasant woman from GttDs rang me and explained (within about 2 hours of placing my order - what great service!!!) and I bought an English model slicker - er, a slicker made in England, not Naomie-

thingummy's hair-brush :D ) Teddy looks quite the little fluff ball when I've 'slicked' him.

Must get some of that coat oil - what's the one that you said smells like cheese-cake?

Can you recommend a poodle-groomin', anal gland squeezin' place in Canberra?

Thanks again for taking the time to answer - I'm sure it wasn't wasted as that info will now be here on DOL for anyone else foolish enough to want to try "the procedure" (heavy, dum-da-dum-dum piano music :rofl: ) - and you'll never have to post about it again .... Take care ;)

It's along time since my poodle - but I found that regular brushing - like every second day - helps to keep coat soft and free of matting. A good brush before bathing seemed to help too.

Used one of those brushes with the blunt "spikes" and the rubber base which was fairly soft and would give alittle under pressure - seemed to be more gentle on the skin.

No way I could afford clipping every 6 weeks! Used to get a short "kennel clip" about 3-4 times a year and do lots of grooming at home. No complaints from the lady who did the clipping. ;)

Used to file the nails - black ones - in front of tv - is that poodle mania?

cheers

As for the anal gland expression would diet help that?

Eg pugs are known for the need to have them expressed too and I'd always been told plenty of roughable eg raw wings and chicken necks ?

Have had a few slicks (no , not nice especially on the way out the door to the Drs appt etc LOL) but only a couple of times.

• 10 months later...