Help!

Kyra

I'm stumped.

It's been two days since my 6 month old pup, Kyra has eaten anything. She's fine in herself, she's not showing any signs that something could be wrong and she's still doing number two's. We have offered her, Kangaroo meat, chicken necks, pet mince, tuna and dry food on its own over the past few days and she hasn't even had one mouth full.

I emailed the rescue group i got her from as eating has been a major issue since i first brought her home, the rescue lady i got her from said she was even a fussy eater when she was a young pup and ate the least amount of food out of the litter.

She has never gone this long without food, she is always wormed on time and is in excellent health. She is a very lean/lanky dog and is always full of energy which is hard to believe considering the small amount she eats.

I don't know what to do, I know I've made numerous threads about her diet but she 'fasts' randomly all the time and just stops eating. It's stressing myself and my other half out very much. Every time we go to the vet and mention it, they can never find any reason that would explain it.

Anyway

I'm off to the deli to buy some sardines and see if she'll eat them. I know it may seem like I'm giving into her 'game' however I'm really worried this time as it's the longest without food since I've had her.

Edited by Kyra

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stop trying to tempt her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If she is bouncy ,and drinking,and toileting... leave her be. She will eat when she's hungry :D

If, however she is looking longingly at the food- but is unwilling to eat- or any other odd behaviour- then vet ASAP.

Our working dogs will often not eat for a couple of days- if it's hot weather, or they are working very hard and long... they will drink only, until they are ready.

If she is doing this a bit like you have said, i think you should start keeping a diary. Every time you worm her, heartworm, flea etc, write it in there. Any time you do anything not of every day nature, write it down. There has to be a reason why she stops eating if she is eating well in between. Does she get on well with the other animals in your house hold? Has there been any stress in the house of late? I would be worried if my dogs didn't eat for 2 days, but my dogs aren't fussy. I am sorry i can't be of more help. I hope she is ok though.

If, however she is looking longingly at the food- but is unwilling to eat- or any other odd behaviour- then vet ASAP.

No, she's not doing that. She does however just lay down next the bowl and glance at it occasionally as if she's thinking about eating it but doesn't.

She does however just lay down next the bowl and glance at it occasionally as if she's thinking about eating it but doesn't.

and , you say she is still bouncy and drinking, and comfortable otherwise?

Think about it..... is she doing EXACTLY the same as on eating days? Playing.... the way she is lying down... the way she drinks.... all fine?

A kind neighbour couldn't be feeding her ??? Maybe??

That's out of the question, my dogs are never in the backyard alone, they spend their outside time in an enclosed patio. I'm paranoid of them getting stolen/baited. :D

Does she get on well with the other animals in your house hold? Has there been any stress in the house of late?

She gets on great with the other dogs and I wouldn't say stress. I'm stressed trying to find a job :cry: but apart from that, nothing is out of the ordinary.

In my breed, fussy eaters are usually suffering recurring bouts of tonsilitis- 90% of the time would be my guess, it is very common, and can be cured quite easily with an old remedy......If she has been like it since a baby, this is my prediction as to what is wrong!

Edited by Cavandra

Agree with not tempting her. This is teaching her that if she refuses food and holds out long enough then she will get something better than what was first offered.

Feed her the same thing every meal. If it is kibble then try dampening it with water and then stirring it with a smidge of vegemite on the fork.

If she does not eat it within 15-20 mins - put it away - don't free feed her.

Repeat at next meal time.

She will not let herself starve but it can be hard watching them not eat. I went through 3 days of this with my new pup but in the end he was hungry enough.

Should add - would recommend getting a vet check to rule out any illness/ health probs.

Edited by Danois

Kyra

I have a fussy eater, also an ex-rescue dog that we adopted at about 5mths. We discovered with her that she would only eat if there was competition. She will wait for our other dogs to eat and approach her food before she'd start eating. Over time she has improved but she's still an unenthusiastic eater even as an adult and she responds really badly to change. New dogs in the house and she won't eat, different food and she won't eat, etc. At obedience training she won't take treats whereas she will at home.

My only guess, not knowing her history, is that she is s sensitive/soft dog who may have always eaten with other pups and that it is the competition that stimulates her appetite. You might find that your pup is also sensitive to the recent change--new home--and so will not eat until she feels settled. Not fussing as has been suggested is the best option but it is difficult esp. when the dogs are slimly built, as mine is. [Don't tell anyone but I will confess after a bout of extended non eating to asking my son to get down on the floor to pretend to eat her food!!! ]

Di

We have a whippet (Jess) who's a woos with her food.....can't add anything except for sardines without her sniffing and walking away......annoying to say the least as whippets are skinny dogs anyhow......if she misses 2 days you can see ribs.......

Try playing 'catch the kibble' with her.......we have a few 'food gluttons' here as well so it's easier for us......we sit a couple of others next to her and throw the kibble to them and Jess will then try to catch and scramble for the kibble as well......

Works for us.......and don't leave food out all day.......just allow her 20 minutes and then take it away.......try again tomorrow.......Good luck!!!!!

Does she have any access to other foods?

My uncles Border Colie lives on 7 acerege and was fed fry kibble but was getting extremely overwieght. The vet said to see what the dog was eating throughout the week. My uncle took some days off work to see and the Dog was eating around 4-6 Avocados a day! :o

Guest june.andnovas

Have you checked her teeth? There has been nothing posted about that.

Maybe she has a cracked tooth or something is causing pain in her mouth? Maybe get her a dental check?

We got our little mini when he was seven months old and he wouldn't eat a thing for two days. We thought it was the change of circumstances, but no matter what I offered him, even fillet steak, he would just sniff it and move it around his plate. He would even sit a stare at his plate as if he was starving but just couldn't eat it. We had tried to give him what his previous owner had, but that didn't tempt him at all. I spent a small fortune trying to get him to eat :o

In the end we discovered that he likes his food at room temperture, so I have to take the chill off it before presenting it. We also came to realise that he doesn't have a big appetite and that as long as I kept offering him one tempting morsel after another he was going to keep this up until I gave him just what he wanted. When he did eat I was so relieved I just kept feeding him until he was full.

Now I still warm it up, but only leave it down for about 20 minutes and if he doesn't eat it, I take it away and give it to him the next meal (if it goes on too long I do throw it away though). I also only give him enough for that particular meal (he gets two a day), not enough to make up for what he has missed. The hardest part has been training my DH not to give him treats when he hasn't eaten :confused:

These days he still tries it on, but will eventually eat properly, usually only skips one meal at a time, occasionally two. He hasn't starved himself yet, even though I don't think he will ever be a guts and he will always be a little fussy :)

Have you checked her teeth? There has been nothing posted about that.

Maybe she has a cracked tooth or something is causing pain in her mouth? Maybe get her a dental check?

I have checked her teeth and there appears to be no problem with them.

MiniMum i never thought to wait until her food is at room temp - i just feed it to her straight from the fridge. Will give it a go tonight. Thankyou! :thumbsup:

Just an update.. I have been doing this..

Feed her the same thing every meal. If it is kibble then try dampening it with water and then stirring it with a smidge of vegemite on the fork.

If she does not eat it within 15-20 mins - put it away - don't free feed her.

Repeat at next meal time.

With no luck.

I'm going crazy. The vet has already ruled out no illnesses, like I said, everytime we go and mention it, there is no sign anything is wrong.

She won't even eat meaty bones.

Kyra

I have a fussy eater, also an ex-rescue dog that we adopted at about 5mths. We discovered with her that she would only eat if there was competition. She will wait for our other dogs to eat and approach her food before she'd start eating. Over time she has improved but she's still an unenthusiastic eater even as an adult and she responds really badly to change. New dogs in the house and she won't eat, different food and she won't eat, etc. At obedience training she won't take treats whereas she will at home.

My only guess, not knowing her history, is that she is s sensitive/soft dog who may have always eaten with other pups and that it is the competition that stimulates her appetite. You might find that your pup is also sensitive to the recent change--new home--and so will not eat until she feels settled. Not fussing as has been suggested is the best option but it is difficult esp. when the dogs are slimly built, as mine is. [Don't tell anyone but I will confess after a bout of extended non eating to asking my son to get down on the floor to pretend to eat her food!!! ]

Di

I had a pup do exactly the same thing, wouldnt eat for days, had it vet checked and they couldnt find anything wrong but gave him an injection of something that was supose to stimulate his appetite (it didnt) and then i had a foster pup come and stay for a week, my god there was competition now and he has never missed a meal since. I was concerned that once the foster pup left he would go back to not eating but he didnt thankfully.