Elizabethan Collars And Leaving A Dog Alone Wearing One

jaybeece

I gave up on Elizabethan Collars - once my vet mentioned bitter drops to me, that is.

The drops are FAN-bloody-TASTIC! They are also CHEAP. The bottle says they are Dimethyl Ph(label got wet here and I can no longer read these letters)e and they stop the dogs Immediately from having a go at the stitches.

Highly recommended for anything you want the dogs to avoid!

Unless you have a Goldie! :laugh: Those bitter drops didn't deter him one bit! :)

:laugh: if you don't have anything else- you can use stingose spray/wipes NOT ON OPEN WOUNDS.

The ingredient in that is the same as in de-ter, the spray which is used to stop animals eating gardens/fruit etc.

I find it works very well... one lick, and a funny face, and then they leave it alone.

Yes, I have tasted/tested it... it kind of makes your tongue go all funny....

I have also used it when my mouse was trying to demolish part of her cage...and it worked for her too :)

I gave up on Elizabethan Collars - once my vet mentioned bitter drops to me, that is.

The drops are FAN-bloody-TASTIC! They are also CHEAP. The bottle says they are Dimethyl Ph(label got wet here and I can no longer read these letters)e and they stop the dogs Immediately from having a go at the stitches.

Highly recommended for anything you want the dogs to avoid!

This is what i used too - my vet doesn't recommend elizabethan collars.

The one we have is a bittering agent for horses and cows - non-toxic for dogs and Zero only licked once before totally stopping!

jaybeecee- hope the boy had a good night, and is ok today.

He's ok :laugh: He was whining a bit in the morning and looking very sorry for himself (painkillers must have worn off), but when I came home to check on him at lunch he'd perked up.

He had a brief zip around the back garden with the foster dog this afternoon too before I managed to grab him, so he must be feeling better. All the bandaging is still in place and my normal vet called (e-vet faxed the report) to say he can come in for a free consult to see how everything is going.

If he gets the bandage off tomorrow then I'll try out some of the suggestions here :eek: The elizabethan collar ain't going back on.

I missed this thread yesterday, I'm hoping your solution works as long as needed. My dog had a collar the other week - chewed one of her desexing stitches out the 2nd night - but we dubbed it her Easter Bonnet (remember those bonnets little girls used to wear to school at Easter for competitions, decades ago?) She hated it, bumped into things etc and was so dejected while it was on. Little devil finally managed to get through the doggy door though, most of the time. The rest of the time I had zillions of blow flies invading the house. ugh.

Since the bonnet and stitches came out last Saturday she's perked right up. Oh, and she did seem happier when I took her on gentle little walks after a couple of days, like it reassured her she wasn't a naughty girl and that I still liked her, or something like that :eek:

Must add, laughing at the earlier post about the dogs killing the collar. :laugh:

I missed this thread yesterday, I'm hoping your solution works as long as needed. My dog had a collar the other week - chewed one of her desexing stitches out the 2nd night - but we dubbed it her Easter Bonnet (remember those bonnets little girls used to wear to school at Easter for competitions, decades ago?) She hated it, bumped into things etc and was so dejected while it was on. Little devil finally managed to get through the doggy door though, most of the time. The rest of the time I had zillions of blow flies invading the house. ugh.

My vet gave me a spray called Wound Guard, It's an antiseptic with a bitter taste and it's worked like a charm :laugh: He'd definitely be licking at the wound normally, but I think one taste of this stuff has been enough for him to leave it alone. He licks at the sticky bits where his bandage was, but that's it.

If he has to have another op some time down the track then I'll just use this stuff. The elizabethan coller isn't worth the stress it causes him.

Pathology report came back to say that the lump was completely harmless too :laugh: I can't remember what it was called, but apparently this type isn't uncommon in young dogs and they go away on their own if they don't ulcerate. His did though so it needed to be removed.