Any Experts Around?

Kirislin

The shots I took above of monelite's dog I used my Canon 70-200 f/4 lens but it doesn't have IS so I moved my torso and followed through like you would doing an um, golf swing I guess. I didn't take too many shots, I could see on the screen I was lucky and got what I wanted. I think I made poor monelite run back and forth about 3 times. She's fit enough, she handled it.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Vickie - I don't think you have much to worry about with your lens - shoot at f/8 as much as you like. You get very unique shots, somehow you manage to get the dogs to stand out without blurring the background a lot. It's very impressive.

Rugerfly - tsk, tsk, you should always shoot at the highest possible resolution :rofl:

Krislin - keep at it - panning is not easy! You might have to take hundreds of shoots to get a couple of good ones. Yep, they need to be side on. With the 3/4 shot, it's not possible to get that type of panning shot sharp. With panning, the dog has to be travelling across the frame.

thanks Luke, I did understand that part. can you please explain it to my whippets :thumbsup: with the 3/4 I just started shooting when I saw her start to move. they are so quick, and you dont know where they'll go, it's like trying to photograph a blow fly!

If I didn't have so much other stuff to train - I'd like to teach my dog to run across my field of view...

hmmm....

Maybe put my dog in a stay....put a treat about 20m away...move into position, release him to get his treat...

dog--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------treat

---------------------------------------camera-------------------------------------------------

Wouldn't it be nice if you could train dogs to run in a nice even arc around you? :)

The shots I took above of monelite's dog I used my Canon 70-200 f/4 lens but it doesn't have IS so I moved my torso and followed through like you would doing an um, golf swing I guess. I didn't take too many shots, I could see on the screen I was lucky and got what I wanted. I think I made poor monelite run back and forth about 3 times. She's fit enough, she handled it.

Mine doesn't have IS either and I tried to do the same as you did. I am going to take the others out now so I might try again, looks like rain though.

back home again. A slight improvement but if I cant get some clearer shots this panning caper will soon loose it's appeal for me as they're just alot of blurred photos. I wont repost them again, here's a link instead. It's the afternoon shots of the brindle boy Puck and little black Squiggle

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=150401

Edited by Kirislin

I did have the focus point in the middle but it was hard keeping it on the moving dog. I want the dog to look like it's stationary and the background to look like it's moving if you understand what I mean. I thought if I had a really fast shutter speed the background would also be in focus and for these pics I dont want that.

I might have missed the model of camera you have. Some have a function called 'AI Servo' - If you use this function, when you half press the shutter button the focus adjusts with moving subjects so you don't have to keep re-focusing as they move around.

I might have missed the model of camera you have. Some have a function called 'AI Servo' - If you use this function, when you half press the shutter button the focus adjusts with moving subjects so you don't have to keep re-focusing as they move around.

Canon 400D and yes I had it on AI Servo and continuous shoot, it's just operator problems :laugh: I've just seen what Vickie and Ruthless can do. Both of theirs are brilliant expamples of what I hope to get. Might have to fly them down for one on one instruction. :laugh: