Both Dogs Are Crook

Oh dear!

Chief has been vomiting and had diorrhea since yesterday and Turtle has just diorrhea.

I don't know what's wrong - maybe they have eaten something bad? But both of them?

Chief was up during the night a couple of times too. I'm worried. He's 8 and getting old for a Newfie. Turtle usually has an iron stomach.

If I were in a normal situation I would take them straight to the vet, but I am 3 hours from my vet and wanted to sound things out here first. I can take them in tomorrow...has anyone experienced this before and are there any remedies I could help them with?

I know there's not many details, I just don't know many - we went into town yesterday arvo and left the dogs and they've been like this since.

Edited by newnewf

Egg white - no yolk. It helps bind them up, and then electrolyte replacement to keep them hydrated (but not too much).

rice and chicken for meals. Can add a little pumpkin too if you want.

If it's still going tomorrow, into the vet :thumbsup: Hope they are feeling better though!!

Try adding some honey to their drinking water, it will encourage drinking and give them a little added energy. Do you have any colloidal silver? That's excellent for upset tummies - can add to water but better to give a teaspoon directly.

Hope everything settles down soon for you all. :thumbsup:

Just an update I posted in Giant Fluffies subforum...a bit of drama for the old man.

I went home yesterday after work and Chief was pooing blood. I called the vet and they seemed to think it sounded like parvo or some sort of gastric thing. I freaked right out! We did the 6 hour return trip to the vet last night in Broome and apparently got there just in time as the germ hadn't spread to his blood system yet...it was some sort of gastro, it wasn't parvo (thank god). I got the biggest fright, for the whole trip in I was preparing myself for the worst, ugh, I just couldn't have done it...the poor little thing.

So he's on anti-biotics and we have to watch him for the next 48 hrs and if there's no improvement by wednesday it's back to the vet. Poor Chief :cheer: he's just lying on his bed hardly moving.

Seems like Turtle has it too, but he has a stomach of iron and a young strong immune system. Having said that, we now need to inform a couple of people whose dogs were around Chief on the weekend, just in case, as it's contagous.

Oh what a night!

Poor baby.