Rick Smith Gundog Training Seminar

I posted to this forum sometime ago that Rick Smith, the best know professional gundog trainer in the USA, would be coming to Australia to give a training seminar. Well the seminar has been and gone and what a great weekend it was!! This very interesting 2 day seminar was AFAIK a first for Oz. It was the first time Rick, or any other professional field gundog trainer has conducted a training seminar in Oz. (There have been a couple of retrieving training seminars given by pro US trainers, but I'm pretty sure this was the first field based event).

Rick teaches a very different style of training to that used by most Aussies, since we have until now generally followed the British style of dog training. It will be very interesting to see the impact this seminar has on future field trial performances in this country.

Anybody interested in seeing some pictures of the weekend training can do so HERE. For anybody that's interested, I'm the big guy in the black shirt and akurba hat working the orange and white pointer bitch.

Cheers.

WS

PS Congratulations and many thanks to WGAA and SSAA for hosting this outstanding event. Those that missed out this time around can take comfort in the fact that there is already quite a deal of interest in having Rick return to Oz in 2009.

Edited by Working_Setters

Thanks for posting the pics WS. It looks like you all had a good time.

Thanks Jeff. I think everybody had a good time and learned a great deal about training dogs. Mostly about preparing their mind so they are ready and willing to learn - once that's done the training is much easier to achieve.

Excellent photography, WS. Seemed to catch the 'spirit' of the weekend and everyone (including the dogs) looked to being enjoying themselves :rofl:. I'm surprised not to see Lablover there ???

Yeah, pics are great. (I didn't take any of them) Expensive digital camera (not sure of details) but big zoom lens for close up shots that can be hard to get in the field.

LL is into retrieving trials big time, this seminar was on field work (rather than retrieving work), still with gundogs, but different focus.

PS

You're correct, the dogs had a great time too!!

WS my OH went to that seminar and had a ball. He came back with a new approach and has so far stuck to it. He is certainly interested in attending any further seminars.

He was the tall redhead with the yellow lab - I believe she was the noisy one on the weekend :rofl:

I'm off to look at your pictures now.

Great pictures thanks for sharing

We are also in Albury

Edited by mercedes

Excellent photography, WS. Seemed to catch the 'spirit' of the weekend and everyone (including the dogs) looked to being enjoying themselves :rofl:. I'm surprised not to see Lablover there ???

Yeah, pics are great. (I didn't take any of them) Expensive digital camera (not sure of details) but big zoom lens for close up shots that can be hard to get in the field.

LL is into retrieving trials big time, this seminar was on field work (rather than retrieving work), still with gundogs, but different focus.

PS

You're correct, the dogs had a great time too!!

I had not entered the Victorian Retrieving Championship to attend the seminar.

The field (whoa, steadiness, hunting/quartering) focusing did not particularly concern me, as I feel no matter, the training and trialling criteria, if one idea is learnt or reignited, it is worth its weight in gold.

One of my US friends had travelled to New Zealand with Rick, so their opinion was also sought. As well as NZ triallers of both field and retrieving. Not that first time I have been fingered as being thorough..or is that phobic ha ha.

Alas, early on (the) Friday, a friends husband passed away.

I have heard the seminar was very successful. Teaching teaching teaching was mentioned numerous times. Useful for every endeavour!!!!!!!

WS my OH went to that seminar and had a ball. He came back with a new approach and has so far stuck to it. He is certainly interested in attending any further seminars.

He was the tall redhead with the yellow lab - I believe she was the noisy one on the weekend :(

We are also in Albury

Hi Mercedes - Yep I had a good chat with your OH. I've got his card here and will give him a call to arrange some training when I get a chance.

Glad he enjoyed the seminar, there was lots to learn.

WS, question- did Rick mention his cousin Ronnie, he also being great at canine psychology.

Hi LL - Sorry to hear of your friend's hubby.

Yep Rick mentioned Ronnie many times. They've worked very closely together training dogs. All 3 of their training DVDs feature both Rick and Ronnie. They have a long family history of dog training, Rick's father Delmar Smith was a very successful dog trainer/ field trial winner. Years ago he wrote an excellent book on dog training. I gather Rick's grandfather was also a successful dog breeder,trainer and field trialer.

For years Rick and Ronnie have worked together out of Texas, but just recently Rick has married a lady from Virginia and moved up there. He spends about 8 month a year on the road, giving training seminars and 4 months back on the ranch in Texas guiding hunters on Bob White quail. Some life huh, unimaginable you could make a living doing that here in Oz. The difference between 20 million people and 300 million I guess, plus a strong and active group of hunters. (meaning there are a lot of gundogs that need training).

ETA - you are correct in that much of what was taught is applicable to all areas of training. Much of the seminar was about preparing dogs to learn, having them attentive and ready/willing to receive training.

Great pics!! had a little heart flutter seeing both a weim and an ES there. Must have been a great day!!

Yep there were a range of gundog breeds represented, both pointing and flushing breeds. I should have taken my Irish as they were one breed that was missing.

Was a great weekend and I'd highly recommend it to anybody, if they are interested in dog training, then there is much to learn here.

What fantastic photos. Very intimate. Lovely dogs. 2 very nice looking Vizslas. I have no idea about anything to do with gundog training at all, much to my dismay as I have 2. :( A viz and a spinone. The dogs just appear to be really enjoying themselves. Wonderful stuff. Are there any decent books that will tell you 'basically' what it is all about. Field trials and retrieving, any gundog sports?? Just for the REAL novice? Keeping in mind I have no idea even what the goals are of the trials.

Thanks for posting the photo link, lovely :cheer:

What fantastic photos. Very intimate. Lovely dogs. 2 very nice looking Vizslas. I have no idea about anything to do with gundog training at all, much to my dismay as I have 2. :) A viz and a spinone. The dogs just appear to be really enjoying themselves. Wonderful stuff. Are there any decent books that will tell you 'basically' what it is all about. Field trials and retrieving, any gundog sports?? Just for the REAL novice? Keeping in mind I have no idea even what the goals are of the trials.

Thanks for posting the photo link, lovely :coffee:

Monah,

It is difficult to buy a book related (or even mentioned) to Australian retriever trialling (and training), as the two I know of, were published years ago, and not really relevant with the transition of tests. Training has improved ....some say to a more obedient/controlled dog to the detriment of a pure marking dog. Picture 3 gloves, say 150 yards away in the most difficult cover/water you can find. Then add one glove being thrown, and expected to be ignored, while being sent for a hidden/blind retrieve. I suggest attending a retrieving trial.

I have only attended ONE yes one, field trial as an observer. My husband is the hunter in the family. I could not hit the side of a barn. Hopefully WS or others will reply.

Thankyou WS for your reply. Correlates perfectly. Yet another question, what did Rick think of the drive of Australian dogs, compared to US and NZ?

He was the tall redhead with the yellow lab - I believe she was the noisy one on the weekend :)

We are also in Albury

Hi Mercedes - Yep I had a good chat with your OH. I've got his card here and will give him a call to arrange some training when I get a chance.

Glad he enjoyed the seminar, there was lots to learn.

WS OH looks forward to hearing from you and doing some more training with like minded people.

He is dead keen on retrieving trials but not sure where to go to learn and train so maybe you could assist him there.

I am hoping to attend next year's seminar with him as I am also a F&G person and just love watching dogs work.

OH has veiwed photos and thinks they are fantastic - thanks again for sharing and look forward to meeting you.

Are there any decent books that will tell you 'basically' what it is all about. Field trials and retrieving, any gundog sports?? Just for the REAL novice? Keeping in mind I have no idea even what the goals are of the trials.

"Basically what it is all about" is dogs using their nose's to locate game (quail, rabbits, hares, etc). It's the function the gundog breeds were created to perform and IMO the most enjoyable thing you will ever do with your dog (for both of you). Despite what some factions of todays politically correct society would have you believe, both dog and humans are hunters. To work as a team with your dog to achieve this most ancient of goals is extremely rewarding.

There are numerous books I could mention, but it's a tough thing for a complete novice to learn from a book. I gather that you're in S.E. QLD, which is great because there are Field Trials in your area. I'd suggest you contact the CCCQ (they're on the web) and get ask for some info. They'll be able to put you in contact with people who work their dogs in the field and you can go from there. IMO It's much better to learn initially by seeing and talking to people. Save the books and DVDs for later when you understand the basics and are after more specific info.

WS OH looks forward to hearing from you and doing some more training with like minded people.

He is dead keen on retrieving trials but not sure where to go to learn and train so maybe you could assist him there.

Best bet is to go to some retrieving trials, see the dogs, talk to the owners/trainers and get a clear mental picture of what it is you are trying to achieve with your dog. Unlike field trials, there are heaps of retrieving trials, so finding one to attend is easy. Just contact the VCA, or any of the retriever breed clubs, for a schedule.

There are group of retrieving training folk around albury that I train with from time to time, mostly when it's too hot (too many snakes) for me to do field work with my dogs. One guy competes successfully at the highest level (All Age), the others are very knowledgeable trainers who complete at lower levels basically because of the breeds they choose to compete with. I'm PM you their details.

Yet another question, what did Rick think of the drive of Australian dogs, compared to US and NZ?

Rick spoke favorably of several of the dogs that he saw. I think the biggest difference was cosmetic in terms of tail carriage and action. America is unique in the gundog world in their love of "12 o'clock" tail. (Tails that stand straight up when the dog is on point). They also breed for very active tails when the dog is working. Rick commented on the lack of tail action of our dogs. When I first saw American dogs I thought "man that tail is wagging the dog". Also when you approach a dog that's on point with a 12 o'clock tail, you get a pretty good look at their poop-shoot, personally I'd prefer that remained covered by the tail. So it's a matter of preferring what you're used to.

Oz/NZ dogs are the same. There is a lot of movement of dogs back and forth between the two countries. As for American dogs, Rick spends most of his time training hunter's dogs in the US and they are much the same as hunter's dogs here. It's the US high end field trial dogs that are a whole different ball game.

Yet another question, what did Rick think of the drive of Australian dogs, compared to US and NZ?

Rick spoke favorably of several of the dogs that he saw. I think the biggest difference was cosmetic in terms of tail carriage and action. America is unique in the gundog world in their love of "12 o'clock" tail. (Tails that stand straight up when the dog is on point). They also breed for very active tails when the dog is working. Rick commented on the lack of tail action of our dogs. When I first saw American dogs I thought "man that tail is wagging the dog". Also when you approach a dog that's on point with a 12 o'clock tail, you get a pretty good look at their poop-shoot, personally I'd prefer that remained covered by the tail. So it's a matter of preferring what you're used to.

Oz/NZ dogs are the same. There is a lot of movement of dogs back and forth between the two countries. As for American dogs, Rick spends most of his time training hunter's dogs in the US and they are much the same as hunter's dogs here. It's the US high end field trial dogs that are a whole different ball game.

OZ/NZ are the same? I was rather astounded how many retriever breeds were imported from the US and UK.

Yeeeeeeet, another question please. You don't happen to have a book by the name of "Snakefoot the making of a champoin" by Bob Wehle?