Attn- Dog Groomers/owner Operators

disorder

Hello,

I'm currently un-employed as of last Friday : /

I'm dying to get involved with animals, and work within an animal related industry, so I'm wanting to apply for a dog washer/dryer position.

(in a perfect world, a grooming trainee ship)

I am just wondering what the best way to go about this would be?

There are currently no positions advertised around my local area, So I was thinking about maybe obtaining their work email address's and sending through my CV with a quick cover letter? Or would it be better to go in and speak with the management/owner in person?

I know how busy grooming salons can get, so I wouldn't want to be an annoyance when they are not even advertising for workers : /

Any tips or advise, or things to include in my cover letter?

I would go in maybe mid morning or mid afternoon, by then the dogs should all be in and the mad rush to get them all finished before pick up time hasn't started.

Also in some salons, the owners tend to arrive late and leave early! :love:

what state and where abouts are you?

Gold Coast, QLD

I would go in maybe mid morning or mid afternoon, by then the dogs should all be in and the mad rush to get them all finished before pick up time hasn't started.

Also in some salons, the owners tend to arrive late and leave early! :(

So you think it's better to go in as opposed to sending emails?

I agree with calling - we are flat out atm.

Ideally if someone called OUT of office hours and left a msg, then the following morning I would get the msg and either call them when setting up for the day or wait until a break.

You could always post out your letter/CV and call a few days later asking if they have received and considered it.

good luck with it all - and if you do get a job around this time of year you will get a great taste of good/bad sides of grooming :happydance:

Something I'd watch out for at this time of year is whether the groomer is going to keep you on or not. I know the salon I work at has a couple of extra bathers for the summer because we get SO busy, but because they both go to uni full time they're perfectly fine with one shift a week during the quiet times (winter).

Try www.jobsearch.gov.au and http://www.piaa.net.au/page/jobs__training.html if you can't find any jobs on the main DOL website.

Good luck!

Oh, and when you do get a job, invest in some barrier cream. Your hands will thank you.

Good luck Dis.

Here is my 2c:

Whatever you do, make sure you come across as sensible, confident, level headed and down to earth. Because I know that's what you are :thumbsup: When I was a vet nurse (and I'm sure groomers would get similar), we would get quite a few airy-fairy, squeeeeeee! I-love-animals girls through the door every week, just dropping off resumes and the like. They would usually end up in the bin.

Fingers crossed for you chook :laugh:

If you don't get any bites (squeeze the pun) from your cold-calling, you could consider asking for/offering to do some work experience. Show you're sensible, reliable and capable — a lot of work experience people go straight into some casual work with the same company.

I don't think it matters if you only get a summer gig. Experience is everything, and the more you have the better.

Are their courses available?

ETA: I would ALWAYS send an email and CV before calling. You need to give someone an idea of yourself before you start bugging them. Stress the transferable skills you have — organisation, artistry, whatever it is.

Edited by botheration

If you don't get any bites (squeeze the pun) from your cold-calling, you could consider asking for/offering to do some work experience. Show you're sensible, reliable and capable — a lot of work experience people go straight into some casual work with the same company.

I don't think it matters if you only get a summer gig. Experience is everything, and the more you have the better.

Work experience isn't going to pay the bills, although it would be fun if I had another source of income... (or someone to support me! :hug: )

I'm pretty desperate, looks like I may have to bite the bullet and get a shitty non animal job....

I have emailed another 5 places today with my resume, but I'm not feeling very positive at the moment.... about anything :rolleyes: